Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Dying of Dehydration, Not Brewing  (Read 1968 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Dying of Dehydration, Not Brewing
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:20 am »

I've just started my new fortress and I've already started encountering something strange. Every single one of my dwarves is dehydrated, and for whatever reason no one is brewing even though I have plump helmets and a still set to repeat. I noticed my dwarves are saying that they're be kept from booze in the thoughts and preferences tab as well, if that's any help.

Anyone know what's up?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Dying of Dehydration, Not Brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:30 am »

The first thing to check would be burrows (including civilian alerts).  Are you using any burrows?

Other things to check are to make sure that the still can be reached, of course, and stockpile settings.  It's actually been a while since I've played, but you have to make sure you didn't accidentally set the still to only accept from certain stockpiles that don't contain brewable ingredients, for example.

Are you getting cancellation notifications from the still, or is nobody picking up the brew jobs at all?

Regarding the dwarves: do you have any booze left?  If you do and they still aren't drinking, make sure burrows aren't interfering.  I believe that burrows do restrict where dwarves can get food and drink.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:11:21 am »

Telgin's advice is sound.
I can add to check your barrel/pot supply. Dorfs can't brew unless they have a container, and linking a still to a brewables stockpile but not a barrel one is a common mistake.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:16:47 am »

Make sure you have any brewable plants set to 'Brew' in the z -> kitchen settings.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 01:28:05 pm »

Check the pathing. Is your stockpile in a reachable location? Occasionally things get stuck in trees. Edit - I forget the bug that causes this but if I recall correctly, it's relatively uncommon.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:30:10 pm by clockwork »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:58:47 pm »

How many dwarfs have the Brewing labor enabled?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »

All of the above is right.

How many dwarfs have the Brewing labor enabled?
And also, are they allowed to use the still? I know some people register each workshop to only one dorf.

I can add to check your barrel/pot supply. Dorfs can't brew unless they have a container, and linking a still to a brewables stockpile but not a barrel one is a common mistake.
This was what I thought of first as well. If you've got access to rocks and a craft workshop, make some rock pots, they're great for alcohol storage. Also, if a stockpile has a "reserve" barrel supply it might not immediately give out the number of barrels you expect it to. It will instead "reserve" them forever. Irritating.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 02:12:29 am »

My understanding of barrels/pots reserved for stockpiles is that they're reserved for storage of items hauled to the stockpile (such as meals, meat, plants, fruit, etc.), and thus aren't available to be released to a still for a potential future return to the stockpile.
This does not stop stockpiles from claiming booze containing barrels as stockpile property though (which prevents booze from being transported/QSP:ed via mine carts, as the barrels, with their booze contents, get hauled back to the delivery stockpile on reaching their destination. For some reason, normal stockpile linking seems to work: it's possible normal hauling to a stockpile also involves a stockpile ownership transfer while dumping onto a stockpile does not).

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:14:49 am »

Turns out I didn't set the still to take from the stockpiles, which is something I never knew I needed to do. I take it you have do this for all workshops, or is it only for stills? Thanks for all the help.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:01 am »

Odd. You should only need links if you have previous links to the workshop, so you need additional ones to get the rest of the stuff.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:00:03 pm »

preedit: PatrikLundall was faster than me, so there's some overlap...

Well, no. Linking a stockpile to workshop results in the workshop only taking from / giving to linked stockpiles (I like to keep seeds inside the still sometimes. ) .

The normal, unlinked/unburrowed behaviour is taking from anywhere - including from any stockpiles linked to other workshops. Though, mind the stockpiles reserving all your barrels - default behaviour of a food stockpile is to ask for a barrel for every tile of it.

Frustratingly, workshops don't show if they're linked to anything, so once you have hundreds of stockpiles it's easier to deconstruct and rebuild the workshop tbh, even if the mechanic is useful for, say, brewing specific or varied booze.