Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers acting/becoming civilians every month  (Read 550 times)

Raziel1641

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Soldiers acting/becoming civilians every month
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »

Hello there! I'm currently playing on version 43.03 since the LNP for windows doesn't have a version for 43.05 for 32 bit computers
Anyway!

I'm trying dorf fortress for the first time and I'm having an alarming issue with my millitary. That is, some of the dwarfs assigned to a squad, despite de squad being active, flat out don't do anything. They remain as peasants and do civvie stuff, and even the Militia commander, despite still being called that, does civvie stuff like haul stuff around or store things, instead of training like everyone else.
Every month, some recruits go back to being peasants and some peasants become recruits. I can't tell if the Militia commander is doing stuff or not.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Some setting I've ignored?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers acting/becoming civilians every month
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:09 pm »

Have you assigned a building, ex cabinet, bed, armor stand to that squad as barracks for training?

Ex, here's what I see with q on my barracabinet:

They should also wear their assigned uniform, if you gave them one, though it's probable it has clothing conflicts (use replace clothing to make sure they put on armour you told them to wear instead of gloves and shoes. Beware, (m)ilitary - (e)quips menu addresses only 1 position at time, so need to do it 10 times to use).

And you need to shift them to active under (m)ilitary - (a)lerts. (And use (s)quad menu to point them at targets - or alternatively, just put their barracabinet in a chokehold so they'll train while they guard - though in that case, don't make them sleep there :v)

(It can get more complex but that's the basics.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:20:29 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Raziel1641

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:08 pm »

I have, actually! SOME of the dwarves ARE training properly in the properly assigned barracks. Two from one squad, two from another, I've noticed. And I've shifted them to Active/training in the squad menu and I've set their schedule to pure training. Still, just 4 recruits training while the other ones do nothing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:52:44 pm »

Well, if part of the squad does civvie stuff and other part of squad trains, that would match schedule being something like train 2 minimum instead of default train 10 minimum, with squad having more than 2 people. Assuming their proper training uses Yellow text, not green Individual combat drills

(Splitting up train 10 minimum into up to five train 2 minimums is actually very good with at least Competent fighters, since it encourages sparring.)

Could also upload save for others to look at. http://dffd.bay12games.com/ is the native filehoster for DF files.

Raziel1641

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »

Ahhhhh! That solved it instantly! I guess it's more like a 2 maximum, rather than 2 minimum, huh?
Thanks you very much, now they're training properly.
And, to split them that way I'd have to make it 5 squads, correct?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:15:50 pm »

Yeah, more like 2 maximum.

No, to split them that way you'd do up to five orders, like this:

(Side note: I recall one tester finding that having 1 soldier more than train orders working better for things like praying, i.e. 3 train 2s and 7-man team, or 3-man team and 1 train 2 - for those, you'd make multiple squads as well as sub-schedule level splitting.)