Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vampires and daylight  (Read 2541 times)

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires and daylight
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »

The vampire page on the wiki is quite long, so forgive me if I ask here instead.

My question is, if I have all my dwarves joining my military and then I order all squads to move outside, under the sun, will the vampire among them burn to a crisp? (no headgears allowed)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:12:33 pm by Marcus Aseth »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires and daylight
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:25 pm »

No the vampire in your fort will not burn just by going outside.

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:20:21 pm »

No the vampire in your fort will not burn just by going outside.

Is it feature? I mean, is it intentional or the vampire monsters aren't flashed out yet?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:46 pm »

Why would Toady make it so easy to root out Vampires? It'd make them a non existent threat.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:39:00 pm »

Why would Toady make it so easy to root out Vampires? It'd make them a non existent threat.

Well that's a twisted/backward logic though.
If we're all agreeing on the words we are using, then "Vampire" shouldn't be a threat to begin with the moment you're aware that one is in your fort (except if they decide to fight back the moment you try to expose them) because everyone know they burn if exposed to sunlight
...why not calling it something else then?  ::)
Zampire maybe or Sunpire, a variant immune to sunlight xD
After all if is something else, makes only sense to call it something else, rather than re-defining what the word vampire rapresent  ::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:43:13 pm by Marcus Aseth »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:05 pm »

If we're all agreeing on the words we are using, then "Vampire" shouldn't be a threat to begin with the moment you're aware that one is in your fort (except if they decide to fight back the moment you try to expose them) because everyone know they burn if exposed to sunlight
After all if is something else, makes only sense to call it something else, rather than re-defining what the word vampire rapresent  ::)
Yes indeed. Go call the Bram Stoker estate and inform them that, alas, they can no longer call Dracula a vampire since he doesn't burn in sunlight. They'll be happy to hear from you, I'm sure.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:40 pm »

It's a tiny fraction of vampires in literature etc that burn up in sunlight, and making them do so in DF would make them worthless. They drink blood, are undead, and are immortal... Their vampires, Toady went with the good version of them. Deal with it.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:26 pm »

Yes indeed. Go call the Bram Stoker estate and inform them that, alas, they can no longer call Dracula a vampire since he doesn't burn in sunlight. They'll be happy to hear from you, I'm sure.

Dracula was vulnerable to sunlight though  :D

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:53 pm »

One version of many.

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:55 pm »

I get it, I guess I've been feeded all the wrong versions then, so far  :-X

Well, now I guess this is a "no", but I'll ask anyway: do silver weaponry do more damage to vampires in DF compared to other materials? xD
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:55:27 pm by Marcus Aseth »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:02:05 am »

No, though werecreatures do have a random metal associated that can hurt them a little easier. Usually it's not a weapon metal.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 01:44:22 am »

No, though werecreatures do have a random metal associated that can hurt them a little easier. Usually it's not a weapon metal.

Did not even know that.  Is there any way to learn what it is in Fortress Mode?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 01:46:07 am »

Did not even know that.  Is there any way to learn what it is in Fortress Mode?

Not that I know of, only way I've learned is through legends and becoming one through adventuremode. The one time I was allergic to iron I died pretty fast.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 02:58:20 am »

But stronger at midday, when other lesser versions of him are too busy exploding.

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 10:28:40 am »

beside sucking blood and stealthly murdering your dwarves, are vampires strong in melee fights?
Also can vampire suck each others? (I mean blood :| )
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:30:27 am by Marcus Aseth »
Pages: [1] 2 3