Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vampires and daylight  (Read 2535 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires and daylight
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 11:38:30 am »

Cursed creatures have enhanced attributes, yes. They also generally have had a lot of time in which they could learn to fight.
To be drained by a vampire a creature has to be sleeping or otherwise unconscious, so even if it is possible (which I don't know if it is) it's rare for the opportunity to present itself, as vampires don't sleep (it ought to be possible to stun them with cave-in dust, so you may conduct an experiment if you manage to collect two of them).

Another example of DF departing from "mainstream" fantasy tropes is that DF elves are cannibals. That's not a particularly common version...

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:22 am »

I was thinking... I could have a 3 way junction with 3 bridges, left bridge goes to the main dwarves quarters and right bridge to the vampire quarters.
I keep the vampire quarters isolated and I throw in there vampires or suspected vampires, and I make the vampire militia.

When monsters come, I pull the bridge lever so that they are forced to enter the vampire quarters instead of dwarves place, and I let my vampire militia deal with them or die for me, since I don't care about them xD

Is this feasable, right? :S

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:33 pm »

Vampires double their stats when they become a vampire, so usually they are quite tough.  They also don't have to breathe, so they can run full tilt without getting tired.    However, their absolute strength depends on the vampire.  Some are not so strong, but they have the capacity to be ridiculously strong.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »

Whenever you have a path one way you also have one the other way, which means letting the invaders attack the vampires also means letting the vampires out. Now, if they're citizens, they can be ordered back if they defeated the enemy, while visitor vampires cannot be controlled.
Also note that dwarven vampires get sluggish from lack of alcohol (can be fixed with a booze serving tavern). Some other uses for vampires are as bookkeepers and lever pullers (since they don't go to sleep on the floor when burrowed next to the Very Important Lever That Has To Be Pulled At Precisely The Right Time).

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »

Whenever you have a path one way you also have one the other way, which means letting the invaders attack the vampires also means letting the vampires out.

But I can make a transition area, right? Like a long corridor with a pair of floodgates on both sides, when I pull a lever one floodgate closes and the other opens, so I pull it while a goblin army is passing that corridor, and hopefully works :S
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:38:36 pm by Marcus Aseth »

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 05:38:01 pm »

God, I keep hitting quote instead of modify... x_x

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 05:44:31 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurVampiresAreDifferent
(Also, what happens with the 'densensitised' de Magpyr clan in Carpe Jugulum. Well, that and being Weatherwaxed...)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 06:59:35 pm »

Vampire are stronger than their mortal equivalent. A legendary axeman vampire is a endgame boss tier enemy. But a farmer vampire is effectively no threat once rooted off.
Vampire can only leech on unconscious people; and as they do not sleep they will not attack each others

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »

In my current game, I stumbled on a vampire hammer lord.  He said, "I must retreat!"

"Feel free", I replied :-)  One thing that's weird about my current game is that every vampire I stumble on seems to be revealed as a vampire.  I'm not sure why that is.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 03:07:30 am »

If all the vampires are visitors they're revealed in the map entering announcement due to what I presume is a bug (and I don't want that bug fixed until we get means to keep visitors from freely rummaging through our underwear closets). However, that reveal is only in the announcement and not on the unit screen. If the vampires are revealed elsewhere I have no suggestion as to why.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:17 am »

Do vampires still suffer from cave adaptation? If not, then you could send them out and whichever one wasn't spewing vomit would be the vampire.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:58 am »

Well...interaction_vampire.txt example does have them get tags nonausea,no_dizziness, nopain and noexert (cave adaptation symptoms).

However, they'd have to stay in your fort bloodsucking for, what, 1,5 years? At a corpse a month, that's 18 dwarves drained of blood. Might as well as train everyone to superdwarvenly though instead and rely on them being strong enough to survive a bite.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:40 am »

Also, only dwarves suffer from cave adaptation, so you wouldn't catch other races anyway.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 02:53:48 pm »

Also, only dwarves suffer from cave adaptation, so you wouldn't catch other races anyway.

He was asking about dwarves in the OP. 

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »

Well...interaction_vampire.txt example does have them get tags nonausea,no_dizziness, nopain and noexert (cave adaptation symptoms).

However, they'd have to stay in your fort bloodsucking for, what, 1,5 years? At a corpse a month, that's 18 dwarves drained of blood. Might as well as train everyone to superdwarvenly though instead and rely on them being strong enough to survive a bite.

That would still seriously narrow down the number of possible candidates depending on how he designs his forts. I rarely design my forts to prevent cave adaptation and as a result, all but a few hunters and foragers are completely cave adapted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3