Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused by the glass industry...  (Read 4076 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Confused by the glass industry...
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »

Okay, so I've made a TON of raw clear glass, but what do I do with it? I've ran out of pearlash and all the actions seem to want it. Is this stuff just for cutting?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Confused by the glass industry...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »

Raw glass of any kind is for jewelry:

"Raw glass, especially raw green glass, are excellent practice for aspiring jewelers (and their production provides experience for glassmakers). The value of glass is on par with low to mid value gemstones, meaning that a source of sand on your map used in tandem with a magma glass furnace makes decoration with cut raw green glass an essentially free, and very lucrative, way to increase the value of your goods while training legendary glassmakers and jewelers- particularly when those goods are themselves made of glass."

DF Wiki
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:11 pm »

Raw glass of any kind is for jewelry:

"Raw glass, especially raw green glass, are excellent practice for aspiring jewelers (and their production provides experience for glassmakers). The value of glass is on par with low to mid value gemstones, meaning that a source of sand on your map used in tandem with a magma glass furnace makes decoration with cut raw green glass an essentially free, and very lucrative, way to increase the value of your goods while training legendary glassmakers and jewelers- particularly when those goods are themselves made of glass."

DF Wiki

...Crap. So I wasted an entire forest on raw clear glass when I already have amethysts... RIP. Ohwell, least I can get my gem setter popping those on all the gold stuff.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:19:48 pm »

. . . .

...Crap. So I wasted an entire forest on raw clear glass when I already have amethysts... RIP. Ohwell, least I can get my gem setter popping those on all the gold stuff.

Unfortunately, yes. However, after this, your jewelers will be very skilled.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »

And raw green glass have a value of 3... Which ain't that bad. To me it's a good cheap replacement for gems as I cannot mine. Base value of 3 is superior to some gems already, if you push it to clear glass, you get a raw value of 5, which is mid tiers gems you can produce without mining.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:30 pm »

Strictly speaking, gem cutters can practice by cutting virtually any stone in the current version of Dwarf Fortress (or they could last time I checked.)  Said cut stones would not be worth much, but any lapidary work would still count as practice for a gem cutter. 

"Raw" glass is essentially just a glass blob drawn out of the glassmaking furnace.  Good for novice glassmakers to get some practice on (and gem cutters to cut and polish so they can be used decoratively) but not much more than that.  If you want any other glass item to be built, you need to order that from the manager indirectly or order it from the furnace directly.  If you have pearlash, you can make clear glass, if you do not you are stuck with green glass.  Windows are the only thing that can only be made by a glass worker, as I recall.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:17:08 pm »

There's windows, and there is a constructed window made of 3 gems (including cut stones).

Does collecting sand give glass making xp?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:10:41 pm »

Nope.

There are a few other glass specialities, e.g. vials sometimes have to be vials rather than say flasks.  Can't remember but maybe terrariums also have unique uses?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 12:04:58 am »

Also, glass has a bunch of good material properties such as being magma-safe, so if you want to mass-produce items for, say, a magma pump stack you could use glass.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 01:44:35 am »

Can't remember but maybe terrariums also have unique uses?

Yes, you can catch live fish and put them in one, making it an aquarium instead!
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:10 am »

There's windows, and there is a constructed window made of 3 gems (including cut stones).

........of course you can. >.<

I never thought of that.

*makes Cut Clay Gem Window*

also, no. Collecting Sand and/or Clay is....some kind of hauling, and does not gain experience for anything.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!