Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Menaces with Splinter: Ironbank of Braving  (Read 1176 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Menaces with Splinter: Ironbank of Braving
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:51 am »

Introduction
I joined Menaces with Splinter subreddit to share my enjoyment of DF.
The world gen challenge provides a rich world with plenty of civilizations to choose from.
Likewise, a link to Menaces with Splinter: Ironbank of Braving thead in Reddit should have the same story here in Bay12 forums.

Prologue
The reigning monarch Urvad Lensbasin has two living heirs, and the political climate in the mountainhome predicts a peaceful succession within this century.  Many factions scheme for the throne’s favor, but such political intrigues is out of the interest of this new expedition whose goal is to accumulate wealth, jewels, metals and harness fire for the deity As the Fortunes of Charcoal.  The first mandate for the expedition is to mint coins of copper, silver, and/or gold for each year.

The seven dwarves, naming themselves The Lesser Faces, journey towards the far west and south away the northeast territory of The Paddles of Light kingdom.  They founded the outpost Ironbank of Braving on the foot of a mountain range bordering haunted marshes and sinister swamps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lesser Faces
Tam the Farmer is 53, dreams of family, likes ballistas and steel.  He has a strong sense of duty and quite lustful. He will work as an interim food service provider.  (Skills: Axe 5, Armor User 2, Dodger 1, Discipline 1, Weaponsmith 1)

Aemon the Maester is a bisexual male of 77, dreams of art made of aluminum.  He can handle stress, is quite ambitious, calm and friendly, but has low esteem.  He will do office work until the hospital is up and running.  (Skills: Doctor 5, Architect 1, Weaponsmith 1, Appraiser 1, Organizer 1, Record 1)

Miley, Ms Miley is a bisexual female of 64 who prefers honing her skills, and likes brass millstones.  She is a builder.  (Skills: Miner 5, Mason 3, Mechanic 1, Dodger 1, Disc 1)

Broseph the Carpenter is 51, who dreams of mastering a skill, likes bismuth amulets.  He can handle stress, and likes to brawl.  He will dabble in carpentry until a viable steel axe is available.  (Skills: Axe 5, Armor User 2, Dodger 1, Disc 1, Carpenter 1)

Daktari, The Coffinator is 74 who dreams of making a masterwork someday; perhaps an electrum coffin, or even a scimitar.  He can handle stress, and is quite polite.  He is a builder.  (Skills: Miner 5, Mason 3, Mechanic 1, Dodger 1, Disc 1).

Littlefinger, Master of Coin, is 75 who wants to be skilled in many things, likes silver coins and garnierite sceptres.  He can handle stress, and has an active imagination.  He will be acting militia commander until his mansion or palace is built.  (Skills: Hammer 5, Xbow 1, Armor User 1, Dodger 1, Disc 1, Metalcrafter 1).

Hasani the Goldsmith is 53 who prefers skills, likes gold shields and bins.   She can handle stress, likes to help others, trusting, but not curious about the world.  She will pursue armorsmithing when there is a decent forge.
  (Skills: Hammer 5, Xbow 1, Armor User 1, Dodger 1, Disc 1, Armorsmith 1).

1st of Granite, 250
A tom cat guards the wagon that is heavily laden with supplies composing of: an iron anvil, 3 copper picks, 2 copper battle-axes, 2 silver war hammer; 7 seeds each, 15 booze of each type; 4 cow meat, peppers, tomatillos, and capers; 5 silk threads, silk cloths, and yarn cloths; and ores: 1 gold, 2 silver, 6 copper, 3 garnierite, and 12 rutile stones.

On the side of the wagon is an engraved symbol. The Scale of Wealth is an image of dwarves and coins. The dwarves are admiring the coins. The coins are burning. The dwarves are screaming.

Welcome to Ironbank of Braving!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Menaces with Splinter: Ironbank of Braving
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:10:42 am »

Reserving this if I get a chance to index posts later.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:59 am »

Ch 1: Bloody Forecast

Littlefinger, Master of Coin is a worshipper of As the Fortunes of Charcoal who is a deity of The Paddles of Light, who most often takes the form of a male dwarf and associated with fire, metals, jewels, and wealth.

From the journals of Littlefinger, Master of Coin
A journal bound in giraffe leather with silver clasps and adorned with crystal glass, linen paper in dimple cup ink.

Granite, 250
“We should all work together,” I say.  The outpost “Ironbank of Braving” is founded here on the base of The Spines of Patterning mountain range.  This mountain-foot is flushed with exposed deposits magnetite and coals over the entire northwest.  The smell of iron is strong here, but it is overcome by foul stench from The Flighty Bog marshes on our entire eastern border, and swamps to the south.

Nevertheless, the first order of business is establish “Wealth Securities” commandeered by yours truly with Hasani as my second, silver war hammer in hand.  The “Jackwood Union” is captained by Broseph with Tam to join later after finishing felling the sparse trees.

Speaking of Tam, I agree with him to start building a wooden palisade and roofing immediately.  Tam the farmer suggested building on a low hilltop to cover the strips of fertile soil among a shale boulders.

The builders, Daktari and Ms Miley began digging into the mountain for some workshop spaces, and hallway towards the farm. 

It's too soon to claim an office, let alone find work area for the forge.  I am excited to dabble making coins to commemorate this year.

Aemon and Tam are worshippers of Bot who is a deity of The Paddles of Light, and most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with labor.

Excerpts from the writings of Aemon, the Maester
A sheet of hemp paper in blackened human blood used for ink.

Early Granite, 250
“I was never one to follow advice,” I mumble to myself.  I have such high hopes in establishing a prestigious hospital, and perhaps even a great library with my books, until a rainy morning.

I was helping construct the wooden building when it started raining.  I became soaked quickly, and to my dismay, the rain is red.  No!  The rain.  It is raining blood. 

I became so overcome with despair in this bleak land.  All is hopeless.  I curled into a fetal position, uncaring to anything.
Spoiler: Despair (click to show/hide)
Tam, the Farmer says, “I feel alright.”  This freakish weather just makes me uneasy, but I feel satisfied in improving my skills in felling trees and completing the farm building. 

I asked Aemon, my fellow brother of Bot, to start the farm plots, but he was just balled up crying by the wagons.  I hope he feels better soon.  I noticed hemp plants around the area, perhaps I will start cultivating them for medicinal and clothing purposes, of course.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:49:47 pm by Sanctume »

solarfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:05:37 am »

PTW !

You took the embark, or chose another location ?
Everyone is supposed to take the same embark, or not ?
Did you cpick up some goals to achieve, or you play and see what will come ?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:26 pm »

@solarfall.  I chose another location.  It was mentioned that the save with a chose embark did not have goblin neighbor. 
So, I choose somewhere flat-ish with some evil biome(s). 
I was also in the mood for a mashup of Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, and Malazan Empire.
As for goals, I just launched my story from the starting 7, and see where it will fit with civs and deity from legends. 

Example, A dwarf who likes silver and coins that worship a deity of wealth (and other fun things like metal and fire) sounded like a good story arc.  It reminded me of Littlefinger from GoT when he was master of coins.

--
Anyway, the first 3 months has not been a disappoint so far.  I am doing this methodically, so my updates will be slower.

It gets crazy when doing lots of small projects/task at a time from the start a fortress, but then quickly lose time that I had little completed to update for a post and show by month-end (in game). 

I've done some re-writing to blend month 2 and 3 into a single chapter.  I am not quite sure what story telling style I will end up with, maybe more of a mash up. 

I started with journal entry types.  But then moved to a more "date-this happen type" just to get the infra-structure done.

But I want to slow it down, and get the dwarf's thoughts as soon as the thing I'm writing / noting about happens in game.

We'll see how it goes after a few more updates.

p.s. I am open to the following input from the forumites:

1. Character names for Dorfing.  I like a "nickname" and at most 2 to 3 word titles i.e. "Littlefinger" "Master of Coin". 

2. I wrote something like "the new kitchen is done, so a position for "Master Chef" is available. 

Will a forumite want to apply and submit their names for that position?

I am assuming the next wave (first wave) of migrants will fill these positions, unless they have better military skills than the founders. 

and/or 3. Dorfing in general to name new citizens and residents as they arrive. 

I have the pop-cap set to 200 I think.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:07 pm »

Ch 2: Interior Facilities 

Slate, 250 
Aemon, the Maester has taken back his self-composure and assess the progress of the outpost from last month.  The human blood caked on his clothing makes him feel unclean that a bath with quality soap is much needed! 

Aemon began to dabble in masonry to assist the hard working pair of builders Ms Miley and Darktari.  The plain stone door made from rutile is set against a rough magnetite pillar.   This purple door will serve as protection from the outside forces once a wooden roof is constructed above it. 

The wagon outside still has some supplies awaiting for proper storage inside.  The pair of yaks need to be pastured.  Aemon decides to dabble in butchering, tanning, and leatherworking in hopes to design the workshops. 

The food and drink supplies are getting low.  Although the farm plots are lain ready, no planting has started because Tam is out in the blood rain gathering plants.  Furthermore, the kitchen facilities still need constructing, and there are no spare food containers.  Aemon is not about to dabble in carpentry, but dabbling in cooking, brewing, and threshing is in order as well. 

Littlefinger mentions that bedrooms and dining area should be up in priority.  Aemon then spends his time making shale furnitures. 

While thinking about a proper bath with soap, Aemon makes a rutile quernm then dabble in mechanics for mechanisms to build a screw press.  He continues dabble in other labors: stronecrafting to make shale jugs, then milling, pressing, potash making and eventually soap making. 

Aemon patiently waits for word the builders to find a water source. 

14th Slate, 250 
An barn owl corpse swoops down from the bloody skies and attacks Tam interrupting his concentration in gathering hemp.  Tam exclaims, “I will not just stand by.  I will take revenge!” Tam hacks the owl in the upper body with his (copper battle axe), and gains distance in retreat back for reinforcements.  As Tam nears the outpost, general alarm is raised with Wealth Securities, Jackwood Union, and the the tom cat coming out to assist. 

The undead barn owl scratches the stray cat.  But Littlefinger bashes with his (silver war hammer) severing parts of the owl’s upper leg, then finishes it with a kick in the head. 
Spoiler: Barn Owl corpse (click to show/hide)

Littlefinger thinks, “An indoor garbage disposal may be of some importance sooner than later.”

16th Slate, 250 
Two days later, the barn owl corpse reanimated among the fallen logs and attacks Hasani. 

Hasani says, “I was attacked by the dead.  This cannot horrify me” and proceeds to bash the upper leg which sails off in an arc.  A final head crush with the (silver war hammer) stopped it from moving. “I laugh in the face of death!” 

20th Slate, 250 
Hasani is a dubious follower of Bot.
Broseph is a casual worshipper of Dakon Mothweb the Everlasting Maze/ who is a deity of The Paddles of Light, and most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with fate.

An osprey corpse flies down and begins attacking the scattering yaks.  The squads are called to attack the menace and save the promise of yak roasts. 

Broseph the Carpenter slaps the osprey corpse in the upper body with the flat of this (copper battle axe), to only cause bruising.  He hacks with the next swing tearing muscles in the upper body. 

Hasani is a few lengths behind charging at the osprey but ends up colliding with Broseph who is knocked over.  But her momentum carried her forward for a well aimed bash crushing the osprey corpse in the head. 

Broseph is horrified and annoyed at this conflict, but does not feel anything witnessing the death of the undead. 
Hasani feels horrified and vengeful too, but she was more annoyed at having a drink without using a goblet.

24th Slate, 250 
The Foggy Gem tavern is open to all residents.  The shale furnishings, food and drink are on order.  The goblets are on backorder still, but there is a large dance floor. 

The kitchen facilities are set up, so two new job positions are made available: Master Brewer, and Master Chef

Tam is returning from hemp gathering despite the blood rain and corpse attacks. 

The front entrance is secured with a plain purple door. 

Flesite, 250 
Aemon, the Maester rises up from his slumber on the stone floor.  The third month comes and there are still no beds ready for use so everyone sleeps on the dirt or stone where they lay.  Private bedrooms are definitely put on the highest priority. 

23rd Felsite, 250 
Seven meager quarters are made available, each having a bed, shale door, shale cabinet, and shale coffer. 

Two extra small rooms has four beds each to serve as dormitory. 

Six pairs of shale tables and thrones are set in Foggy Gem tavern, but a shale coffer remains empty of goblets. 

Littlefinger forbids Aemon from dabbling in metal crafting. 

Aemon claims his meager office with a shale furnitures. 

A mysterious scroll in hemp paper, “Interior Garbage Smasher (IGS)” 

Littlefinger produced an engineering plan for disposing refuse indoors without the miasma issues.  The instructions are simple that the builders are able to follow it.  Aemon even began to dabble in engraving to speed up the smoothing of walls. 

The Interior Garbage Smasher (IGS) system is a work in progress. 

The hemp clothing facilities are set so a job position is made open for Master of Hemp

Tam is interested in the resulting products but wants to pursue honing his martial skills with the Jackwood Union. 

The leather works, glass furnace, and forge area are still under construction.  So a probable job opening may become available too. 

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »

@solarfall.  I chose another location.  It was mentioned that the save with a chose embark did not have goblin neighbor.

That was the case initially right after world generation. The OP then rolled the time forward a year by playing the fortress mode a bit and during that time the goblin civilization spread enough that it is now neighbor of the Splinter embark.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »

That was the case initially right after world generation. The OP then rolled the time forward a year by playing the fortress mode a bit and during that time the goblin civilization spread enough that it is now neighbor of the Splinter embark.

Ahh, I missed that blurb.  Anyway, I hope this site is acceptable fun: has iron and hemp, it rains blood, and a sign of re-animation at least on the haunted biome.  Not sure what fun the sinister part will bring to the party.

p.s. I played some last night until I got a message "some migrants arrive" I hope they make it inside!

Anyone wants Dorfing? 
I need a Nickname, and maybe 1-3 word title unless you want the open positions available:

Open titled positions:
1. Master Chef - spring & summer farming, autumn cooking, and winter break.
2. Master Brewer - spring & autumn brewing, summer farming, and winter break.
3. Master of Hemp - spring & summer farming, autumn processing, and winter break.

Winter break is a choice to socialize or military training or hauling.