Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what kind of Necromancers are we wanting....

Are we looking for a revemap of the old warlocks?  I can begin looking at the old warlocks, I'm hoping they was still in ye olde...
- 12 (46.2%)
Are we looking for all new?  Tell me what you would like to see it in it..
- 5 (19.2%)
something in between?  comment below on what you want back in and what should go/replace...
- 9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: June 28, 2017, 02:28:53 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ☼Necromancers☼ Discussion of possibilities  (Read 4973 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
☼Necromancers☼ Discussion of possibilities
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:47:57 pm »

Okay, so I posted a poll and a majority of the vote went to Necromancers, so true to my word lets discuss the possibilities!

well this was my suggestion, initial reaction was bad so I'm putting up a poll.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:18:31 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Necromancers☼ Discussion of possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:48:57 pm »

hold for future
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »

hold for future
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »

hold for future
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:34:36 pm »

Ehh, I don't know if someone originally mentioned this, but back when Meph was talking about necromancers, I think he meant a vanilla lore friendly port of warlocks. There is definitely some overlap between your ideas and the classic warlocks, but I think a good starting point is to decide which things from classic warlocks to port, and which things to abandon.

Some other ideas:

Call the bloodsteel upgrade dreadnought. That's what it was originally called in warlocks.
Call the necromantic beast either ghouls or fleshcrawlers.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to overhaul the old Warlocks? I mean, it seems like it'd be a simpler solution...

I'd elaborate more, but I'm heading out shortly.

Also, big diggy thing: Geomantic Horror/Crypthorror

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »

eh? well that's why I posted.... If you just want a warlock revamp... I'll go dig up the old warlocks and get started fixing it...*sigh*... I'll post a poll if people really just want a revamp of the old warlocks... I'll see what I can do...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:20 pm »

A revamp would in theory be easier, and to my knowledge they should be in the last release for 34.11.

Still, that's not to say they can't get some additions or have some stuff moved around/removed.

A new slew of appropriately nightmarish flesh/bone constructs to menace intruders with/use for specific roles sounds pretty cool, since before I think it was limited to animated corpses and bone golems/animate armor and weapons besides actual civ members.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »

I liked the initial suggestion.   Especially the part about one special character that needs to be protected by their minions.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:44:47 pm »

Well I posted a poll people put in there votes... I'll see what I can do... If you want a revamp option 1, a complete new work option 2, a mix option 3.  add your comment on what you want to see.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:50:56 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:57:57 pm »

I liked the initial suggestion.   Especially the part about one special character that needs to be protected by their minions.

Actually that was the biggest issue Warlocks had - you'd have so few Warlocks oftentimes that you simply couldn't risk them or use them for the late game stuff, lest you minions be crippled (and with no migrants back then, this would be a permanent affliction.)

EDIT: I prefer the idea of them being a sort of dark order of sorcerers, with initiates and skeletons being thier main units.

Skeletons handle the brunt of the hard work, while Initiates handle mundane magical duties such as raising skeletons and zombies, gathering souls, attracting ghouls and leading them in battle in a Sorcerer's absence.

Initiates would be unable to properly learn most magic things without putting themselves in immense danger of physical backfires - Lighting themselves on fire, rotting thier own brains, paralyzing themselves, or demonic possession are all possible fates for the untrained initiate.

Sorcerers don't have these issues and are full members of the order, being able to learn most things without serious danger to themselves - usually. Some summonings could still backfire and summon something less than friendly to even the Order's members, and possessing a magical attack in the form of conjured ethereal projectiles. But they still lack the same level of magical aptitude that thier mightiest members have.

Dark Masters have no risks in play with thier abilities, being mages of unparalleled might and able to raised the dead and inflict debilitating effects such as necrosis or paralysis on enemies. Would likely require a ton of resources to sink into becoming a Daark Master (Possibly even the souls of some initiates or even Sorcerers?)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »

Assuming the corpse-reaction-bug isn't fixed, I'm partial to the idea of having an on-site population of "cattle" villagers to turn into zombies; it's more thematic and challenging than just getting zombies out of nothing.

Also maybe a way to convert villagers into initiates from Splint's idea? Initiating them, as it were.

Somehow making the land more evil and syndrom-y in the late-game.

Original version had two types of spirits to use, "Wisps" that were mostly thief-spotters and "Pain Elementals" that were aggressive, it'd be neat to see a return of those that were more like single-use condensed spells so we could make a bunch of fireballs and pasture them in a hallway.

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:38:27 am »

I would like Amostubal to follow his muse.  He has already given us the greatest gift by putting the mod into github.  This allows anyone who is interested to update the Warlocks.  With the launcher, we can have as many races as people can create.  Just disable the ones that you don't want to play with.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:51:31 pm »

Not sure if you've seen it, but perhaps you could use IndigoFenix's Soulshuffle script for something?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 04:03:42 pm »

The old warlocks were my favorite race, partly because of there complex and varied magic system, and partly because of the limited number of warlocks. My warlock towers generally die when I run out of warlocks, usually to some siege (I once had over 100 skeletons and zombies left, but with out 'locks I was SOL). I suspect a point failure source would be vary annoying...
Pages: [1] 2 3