Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: FateGate (Join and Be Mutated)  (Read 5248 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FateGate (Join and Be Mutated)
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:04 pm »

You awaken to find yourself alive, but not for long...

You and the rest of the crew of the Journeyman were the last remaining survivors of the human race. Earth was dying faster than anyone could have guessed, and by the time humanity caught on to the gravity of its situation, it was far too late. The destruction of the planet had increased at an exponential rate, and when it became clear that nothing could be done to reverse the damage, earth had to be abandoned. There was no time to build a spaceship, and even less time to find a destination. Humanity's only hope was a top secret research projected called the FateGate. The scientists working on it had no idea where it went or what was on the other side, and with no time to run any automated excursions, you and your crew were sent inside to find a refuge for humanity. Your ship, the Journeyman was a small vessel designed to maintain humanity for thousands of years using an experimental gene-constructor, lovingly refereed to as The Grinder, and would allow humanity to repopulate if it ever found a suitable home.

You did not find such a home on the other side. You found a strange twisting world full of strange creatures, machines, and madness. Within hours your ship's comms went dead. Half the crew was stricken by an alien madness that sent them into a murderous rage. As the crew turned on eachother, the ship veered off course and plummeted deep into an vast ancient alien spaceship. When the bloodshed stopped, you were the last remaining survivor, likely due to your now empty pistol. The ship's AI reports that you've been poisoned by a rocket fuel coated shiv wielded by a former member of your crew. You will die in the next 12 hours.

Taking stock of your situation, the AI informs you that you're deep within an alien spaceship, the crew is dead, you are soon to be dead, and most of the ship's auxiliary systems are damaged. Life support was destroyed by the crash, but external sensors reveal the ship to be full of a mostly breathable atmosphere. The Grinder, appears damaged, yet mostly functional. It is clear what you have to do.

A few hours later, you have placed every other member of the crew into the Grinder, it was a gruesome and bloody task, one that grew increasingly difficult as you began vomiting blood. With every other crew member reduced to their basic building blocks, there was only one thing left to do. You solemnly activated the geneconstructor. You stared at the screen, all subroutines looked fine, but you're no scientist. The words "Time until batch completion: 48 hours" stood out to you among the various scientific charts, equations, and jargon. Satisfied and hopeful for the next generation, there was only one thing left for you to do. After vomiting blood one last time, you activate the grinder, and crawl inside. As the clear glass door slid into place behind you, you turned to see the words ERROR. ERROR. MALFUNCTION. across the monitor of the geneconstructor. Terrible understanding took hold of you only milliseconds before the Grinder tore you into microscopic pieces.

47 hours and 58 minutes later, the geneconstructor finished its work...

Welcome FateGate, a twisted space adventure where you will die a lot. No character will survive until the end of this game. This is an exploration game, where players will uncover the secrets and treasures of an alien spaceship in the hopes of someday escaping. Each player will play as a serious of semi-human creatures birthed from the malfunctioning geneconstructor. With faulty biology and undiscovered dangers, each character's lifespan is horrifically short. Luckily, you'll be able to reincarnate as a new fleshling and continue on your horrific adventures beyond the FateGate.

To join, simply state the name of your new fleshling. All player entries will be submitted in order. At start, there is only enough biomaterial to construct 5 players. However, as more material is added to the Grinder (or if players fail to return their bodies to it) this number will fluctuate. In the case that a new or recently deceased player wishes to join, but there isn't enough biomatter, they will be qued and spawned in order once enough matter is returned to the grinder.

The game itself is fairly straightforward post actions and get results sort of game. It will take place over a series of tics, mostly to keep everything in order. Some difficult actions may require rolls, but I'm going to avoid any sort of intricate mechanics if I can. Character creation is random, and may give you great powers, terrible mutations, or even skills useful to your adventure. Just make the best of what you're given and enjoy the game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:21:32 pm by Roboson »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: FateGate (Sign-ups)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:28:40 pm »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »

Tic 1

The first birthing vat finished before the others. This seemed to only mildly affect the fleshling growing inside of it. The monitor above the vat showed a mix of ever changing numbers, letters, symbols, and the word ERROR. When the letters and numbers finally stopped, most of them faded away to blackness. Five letters remained: D. U. R. A. N. Duran. The creature stumbled out of the growth chamber and fell to the floor. Looking upwards, he saw the letters and thought that must be its name. Duran was humanoid, even humanlike. His legs were short and his arms were long, his fingertips just barely graving the floor. Its face was human, if a bit long. Duran found it hard to breathe, the right side of its chest rose and fell with it's shallow breaths. Duran had vague memories that didn't seem to belong to it. Nothing of use or substance, just odd flashes of faces and things that left Duran mildly confused and disorientated.

Fleshlings
Spoiler: Duran (click to show/hide)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:02:03 pm »

Duran knuckle walked around the small room, touching everything and turning it over in his hands. Such a peculiar place... Was he dreaming? He'd dreamed before, perhaps, maybe... It was hard to remember, easier to be a part of the dream.

Scope out the room. What are my resources? Where are the exits? Is there anything that I can read?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »

Tic 2.
Duran explores the room and wonders if there's anything he could read. He realized he read his name off the monitor, so it's likely he could read. The room he is in is fairly small, perhaps ten feet by ten feet of space in the middle of the room is open. The remainder of the room is taken up by large pieces of equipment. Behind him is the large geneconstructer and birthing vat he emerged from. It's a fairly large machine, and makes various strange noises. In front of him on the far wall is a window with some very sharp looking machinery behind it. Smudged trails of a dried brownish substance lead towards, or perhaps away, from the dangerous looking machine. Both machines have terminals with a variety of buttons, dominated by an eye drawing red button in the center of each. The wall on your left has a desk with strange objects. The word office supplies comes to mind, but you have no idea what it means. It also has a computer that seems to be turned off. The wall on your right has a door and a rectangle on the wall. The rectangle has a red + shape on it for some reason. There seem to be no loose objects in this room, except for a few "office supplies." The door stands slightly ajar, the brown trail leading under it.

The constructor whirs as if trying to find a name for its next creation. Hopefully one arrives soon.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FateGate (Join and Die)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »

Duran tapped a freakishly long finger on the red plus sign.
---

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »

Ember
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:05:47 pm »

Tic 3.
The box seems to be hollow and made of metal. Your tap causes it to swing open automatically. Inside there appear to be a few strange objects. You get flashes of children crying, and small sticky things being put over their wounds. You look through the cabinet and find some of them! These look much different, and are slightly metalic. The box says "Autohealers." It seems there are only five of the patches left. There is a small bottle of pills labeled anti-toxin. There is a strange red and white device inside. It has a yellow button with the words "Place near patient." Printed next to it.

Behind Duran one of the other construction vats begins to finish its work. A curdling gurgling sound can be heard from inside the vat. The letters on the screen fade away until it just reads EmbER. Ember stumbles out of the vat and is greeted by almost blinding lights. Their big orange eyes soaking in much more light than the average person. Ember instinctively shielded their eyes with both arms on their left side. Ember, clinging to faint whisps of memories panics for a moment, something went wrong, it's missing an arm and only has one on its right side. Beyond the additional limb and large eyes, ember is fairly human looking. Having a moderate amount of melanin in the skin, and straight hair.

Spoiler: Ember (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:07:23 pm by Roboson »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »

"Ah... hello?"
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:22:15 pm »

"Ha... Hello." Duran cocked his head, odd memories clouding his head. "How did I dream you? You're the queen of steel dunes..." He stopped putting a malformed hand to his chest as he panted, the exertion of speech winding him strangely.
---

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FateGate (Join and Be Mutated)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »

"I... I hear. Speaking to me. What I know is whispered to me. I am Ember." Maybe hear something about Duran?
Generic Arms Race.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »

Bob.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »

Falsh.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 04:23:24 pm »

Tic 4.

Ember tries to listen into the memories, but hears nothing about Duran. It seems that either you don't have any memories relating to the "person" in front of you or that they simply aren't loud enough right now. Similarly, Duran has no memories of Ember.

As the two of you exchange awkward and confused introductions, a third creature comes out of the birthing chamber. The monitor reads B. 0. B. Bob, is the least human looking of the three of you. Its skin has a sickly blueish tint, is completely devoid of hair, and it's limbs each have an additional joint. Bob also has a short stubby tail where it's spine protrudes a bit too far. Bob has some memories fleeting memories relating to the ship itself.
Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Almost immediately after beginning again, the words on the monitor fade away. Falsh is written across the screen. Falsh emerges as a perfectly formed human being! Almost. Falsh is a perfectly portioned three foot tall human. Falsh has crystal clear memories of some of the most mundane aspects of human life.
Spoiler: Falsh (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 04:24:43 pm »

Quill, reporting in for duty.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8