Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SPORE: an almost decade old but gold  (Read 3096 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SPORE: an almost decade old but gold
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:36:13 pm »

been running this old game again and i think it was worth to mention it in the forum, specially seeing that its getting close to 10 years since its release.

so, for those that dont know it (or in the rare, very rare case that it was forgotten).

SPORE is supposed to be a Life Simulation-style adventure game (calling it a Life Simulator is a matter of debate, mostly for those that know the development history of this game). in the game you start from a humble cell brought by an asteroid into an habitable planet and and climb throught five stages from cell/fish to land creature to tribal society to civilization and then to space empire. each way you play on each stage will have permanent effects on the next one with several end game archetypes for spacefaring races depending on your decisions.

the game's main hook however is that allows players to design almost everything in the galaxy (flora not counting, unfortunately). you can create from cells to buildings and spaceships, and even customize your race's clothing at the different civilized stages, with the Galatic Adventures expansion you can also make a personal space captain and design planets for making customized adventures (player designed missions basically). all this can be shared on a global collection in the game's website (which is still running) and you can too download player created content to add into your personal collection.

the game uses all these assets as they are added, making the galaxy much less "generic", if you want to look it like that.

the game was made by Maxis and published by EA so you can expect a lot of stuff was cut out or sold as "expansions" (too short, should be taken as DLC instead). but the game is still recommended to play, mostly because no other game has tried to go into this lvl of player derived content (its not mandatory anyways, there's a large collection of prefabs to choose from in the base game, but you would be missing on a lot of fun trying to make your own stuff).

for those wondering, yes, the game is in Steam too. and mods are a plenty (they're also easy to install).

anyways, i leave the thread open for discussion in case of questions about it or if you want to show some media of your own shenanigans with the game. i dont think there's a recent thread about it and dont want to do necromancy.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: SPORE: an almost decade old but gold
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:16:18 am »

A while back I tried to install a hard copy of spore I owned.

Apparently, you're only allowed a few installs before you can no longer do that and the hard copy is completely fucking useless.  I don't feel like paying full price (again) for a game, were if it was any other hard copy I own, should just own and be able to use in whatever personal way I want.

I haven't even turned on the computer it was originally on in half a decade.  Hell, I probably uninstalled it from that computer at some point anyway.  But no, I don't own spore.  I own a disk that says "spore" on it, but I guess EA stopped caring about that disk I payed them 20 dollars for.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:31 am »

haha, really? That's really sad.

That said, you can legally yo-ho-ho and go download it from a pirate website. You have the physical media to prove that you have the right to own it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 03:06:30 am »

Spore was disappointing but it wasn't bad.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:08:25 am »

Spore was disappointing but it wasn't bad.
The best way I've heard it put was something similar to this.

It wasn't a bad game, but it didn't live up to the expectations raised.
It's because it, much like a certain game about Skies that belong to no Male Humans, played pretty differently from what was shown. Unlike NMS, however, it was still pretty decent and a solid 7/10.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:09:12 am »

Spore was supposed to be a serious evolution simulation but the contents got cut down and kiddified.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:15:39 am »

Spore was supposed to be a serious evolution simulation but the contents got cut down and kiddified.

It was the game that killed Will Wright's enthusiasm.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:06 am »

I can't believe the Sporepedia is still up and running.

I was one of those kids that made really terrible creations, but I almost always used the description box to give them a small amount of lore. I still remember a good number of the critters I made, along with buildings and starships.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:39:52 am »

I would totally buy a Spore Sequel...

I would totally want a Will Wright Version of Spore as well (His vision, more directed by him) as he wanted the game to have more of an educational bend... something that is severely underappreciated and pretty much dead in modern gaming. (Some of his games actually taught advanced concepts and had pages and pages of scientific text on topics involved in the game)

I mean YES! 100% Will Wright's version might have been less fun than the Spore we got. Yet I'd have appreciated it more, it would have been an experience, it would have been art.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »

I was big into Spore when I first made my steam account...

My steam Avatar is still a nearly 10-year old Spore critter.

Edit: It was also Yahtzee's review of Spore that lead me to discover Zero Punctuation, which I still watch every week. I guess Spore played a pretty decent roll in my life.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:23:25 pm by Weirdsound »

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:47:39 pm »

fun fact: SPORE is the most-pirated game of all time
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:28:23 pm »

Wouldn't that be Solitaire or Minesweeper, since it comes bundled with practically every version of Windows for something like the last 20 years?

And, actually, taking a look around the internet, it appears that it doesn't even crack the top ten (2011) -- http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-pirated-games-time/

There's an article from 2008 that says it was the most pirated game ever, but that pegs the number at 1.7m, below the 10th on the previous site. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2008/dec/09/games
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:43:56 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:07 pm »

Probably because you can only install it like three times.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:38:05 pm »

Ah, the Golden Business Strategy: Make your product so annoying that no one will want to pay for it.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »

I can't believe the Sporepedia is still up and running.

I was one of those kids that made really terrible creations, but I almost always used the description box to give them a small amount of lore. I still remember a good number of the critters I made, along with buildings and starships.

yup, the game still has a good amount of followers and it even gets daily submissions, even when the fandom is pretty thin nowadays (allthought some youtubers make gameplays from time to time most published stuff in Tumblr is from Markiplier's playthrough).

i learned of the game from one of my brother's friend back in the days, got hooked mostly because of what people could do with the editors. Parkaboy is one of the most prominent inspirations for my creations, there were others but i dont remember their usernames anymore. thing is, you can learn a lot just by looking at other people's creations or guides/tips. it really helps to create something unique.

Pages: [1] 2