Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SPORE: an almost decade old but gold  (Read 3078 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: SPORE: an almost decade old but gold
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 03:24:49 pm »

The coolest Spore creation I ever saw was an AT-ST creature. Some googling reveals a bunch of these things, must be a popular design....
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 07:31:56 pm »

The coolest Spore creation I ever saw was an AT-ST creature. Some googling reveals a bunch of these things, must be a popular design....

there's a lot of star wars inspired stuff in the game and made by players. a planet buster superweapon, a star destroyer shape for vehicles, AT-ST and AT-AT style mech legs.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:34:53 pm by xaritscin »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 08:44:15 pm »

I've got to admit, I absolutely loved spore the first 3-5 times I played through it. I enjoyed every stage except maybe the tribal. Cell and space were easily my favorites.

I recently played through again and didn't enjoy it nearly as much, probably because I was just trying to get it done for some reason. I was yet again reminded how horrendous the endgame was, during the final journey to the centre of the galaxy. Eco collapse, war, random pirate invasions, all the stuff completely took me out of the immersion. All the work I put into fortifying my colonies meant jack for a single pirate ship, so that sucked.

Otherwise though, It's probably in my top 10 most enjoyed games.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 02:22:14 am »

I had some fun, but this is probably the game that shattered my illusion of hype. Cell stage is good, but not enough parts with different mechanics. I like kinda physics-based stuff like that. And I think that stage didn't use player submitted creatures, which sucks.
Other stages are meh. Creature stage is reduced to either pressing attack hotkeys on cooldown with no strategy, or pressing social hotkeys when prompted, yay. Similarly building your creature in mechanical terms just translates into sticking on the parts with the higher numbers, none of the anatomy actually matters. There aren't any larger or smaller creatures really, except for the giant epics.
Tribal stage was hard for my young brain, because I'm bad at RTSes and everyone hates you by default and sends parties to murder you without prompting. City stage is the same, but with no threat of death, so you just roll over the world and take it over, yay. Space stage had some more potential, but you need to babysit your colonies to not lose them, and attacking other empires just got me blown up. Too grindy to inch my way to the core, I never saw the Grox or the end of the game.

I might like it better if I wasn't comparing it to that first demo, with controlling underwater creatures, larger predators and tiny vermin you can just swoop up an eat whole, dragging around creature corpses that were ragdolls if I'm not mistaken, the shape of your creature matters to stuff like how it moves and interacts with the world, procedurally generated dancing (:P), sticking cities underwater in bubbles.

Overall the final thing lacked lots of the physics-based and procedural stuff I had assumed would be part of it. Oh well.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 12:52:14 pm »

I can pretty confidently say that without Spore, I would have never thought I could get into 3D modeling.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »

I had some fun, but this is probably the game that shattered my illusion of hype. Cell stage is good, but not enough parts with different mechanics. I like kinda physics-based stuff like that. And I think that stage didn't use player submitted creatures, which sucks.
Other stages are meh. Creature stage is reduced to either pressing attack hotkeys on cooldown with no strategy, or pressing social hotkeys when prompted, yay. Similarly building your creature in mechanical terms just translates into sticking on the parts with the higher numbers, none of the anatomy actually matters. There aren't any larger or smaller creatures really, except for the giant epics.
Tribal stage was hard for my young brain, because I'm bad at RTSes and everyone hates you by default and sends parties to murder you without prompting. City stage is the same, but with no threat of death, so you just roll over the world and take it over, yay. Space stage had some more potential, but you need to babysit your colonies to not lose them, and attacking other empires just got me blown up. Too grindy to inch my way to the core, I never saw the Grox or the end of the game.

I might like it better if I wasn't comparing it to that first demo, with controlling underwater creatures, larger predators and tiny vermin you can just swoop up an eat whole, dragging around creature corpses that were ragdolls if I'm not mistaken, the shape of your creature matters to stuff like how it moves and interacts with the world, procedurally generated dancing (:P), sticking cities underwater in bubbles.

Overall the final thing lacked lots of the physics-based and procedural stuff I had assumed would be part of it. Oh well.

well the demo was from three years earlier (2005 or even 2003, i cant remember). maybe the technology was there at an optimal moment, it would have costed more than what EA was wanting to fund for the development and deployment of the game. yeah it was a huge letdown to see the game was much more Sim than how it came up in the end.

maybe in this decade or the other a developer will try to reinvent what Maxis wanted to do without coming to issues like fast publishing, i follow Thrive but they are still on baby steps (allthought their Cell stage simulation is good albeit too realistic). and Species ALRE is more of a true simulation rather than a game on itself (you can mutate your creatures but they evolve on their own).

so for now there's not a real contender for spiritual sucessor of SPORE. even copying the formula and improving on what the final product came with would be enough (at leas for me), i mean:

-Cell Stage could have been a well replacement for the Acuatic Stage if it had the same level of grind (justified of course) as Creature Stage, making your brain larger is a no brainer but unlocking all the parts is a much better challenge, the stage on its own was fine for a starting scenario but it felt too short. adding the acuatic creature parts and the hidden cell parts and balance their stats from the pass between microbial to macroscopic creature could have made this stage much more fun to run. points if there was the possibility to see player made cells/acuatic beings as well as some maxis defaults just for comedy.

-Creature stage defined by archetypes from the Cell/Acuatic stage mentioned before would mean much more interesting gameplay choices regarding what parts to use. carnivore/herbivore/omnivore could have been 3 of several different feeding methods, Scavenger creatures could do well eating rotten carcasses and fruit that other creatures couldnt consume, Autotrophs would give a use for those plant-like parts, Detritivores would feed from different soils (maybe even snuffle spice?), Hematophage creatures could be an interesting play style by feeding on other live creatures via sneak. as for parts, there's a lot that wasnt covered (gas bags for floating, a continuation of electric parts or even defensive spikes would have been cool). there's also the thing with animations (gaits were a fine system but it still lacks properly slithering creatures).

-Tribal stage as a whole shouldnt have even existed because its basically an entry lvl to civilization. however, if it was meant to exist it should at least play on the personality of each society and the starts of civilization rather than be just a bunch of settlements that kill/praise each other. getting a crop system from the game's plants would have been a good alternative for gatherers, breeding cattle for meat should have been a possibility for carnivore tribes, fishing with nets in order to get better fishing or even fishing in the sea would have been a good addition (the sea is barely used in the whole game, nothing really interesting and you cant even dive). befriending tribes should allow for basic trading of goods (bartering resources or even equipment). there's also strange that the religious civilization comes out of nowhere because of a lack of spirituality in the tribal stage (no shamans, no priests, where's Spode at that moment?, at least let players fullfill a random need of their tribe members with totemic rites or altars.

-Civilization should be a seamless transition from Tribal (in fact, all stages could have been made seamless as complexity milestones rather than divided gameplay modules). maybe once the player's tribe had grown large enough or had assimilated the other tribes (something aking to Stellaris with a civilization made of different races would be cool). its relations unlocking the traits of its supposed civ stage archetype. also, instead of focusing on capturing cities the stage should have been focused on the advancement of society instead. something akin to Age of Empires or Civilization would have been better, the player made buildings would be a problem (because making several sets for different times would mean a lot of additional work from the player, unless it was a small pool of needed buildings. however, this could mean a system where the player has to edit its buildings each time it reachs a milestone in order to check the unlocked building parts.). all cities by that time should be trading, not being limited on the archetype, religious nations would of course have a single cohesive religion, industrial nations would of course better at getting trading deals and forming an economy, militaristic nations would have an edge on combat but that should limit them to do other stuff (its more important at this time than any other stage in the game because its here when the Knight, Scientist and the other dual archetypes should get born), Spice should be only 1 of different goods that can be traded, they could even date back to the tribe stage with vegetables, fish, eggs and meats, or something like that. there wasnt many stuff to do at this moment. there's also the lack of infantry, at least in tribal you can have your members have different lvls of social/combat and defens but here everything is in vehicles, which is lame because even in the most advanced sci fi universe the use of militia is still a must (even if they're drones). so having a military outfiter for all the civilizations would have been good (this would also help compensate the meta of religious nations being more or less bad at combat and industrial nations actually not being capable of combat unless you capture other cities, which again, shouldnt be a requirement to advance.)

- and finally Space Stage, where its supposed that the galaxy opens to you, theres so much to fix here, your space empire should follow the formula of the revamped civilization stage. you've already defined your initial society, but there's so much to do here in the galaxy. for starting, your empire should be capable of organizing their own planetary defense or even bring fleets into staging system during wars with another empires, the player should be forced to conquer systems on its own with a puny squad of ships. trading as complex as in civilization, perhaps some empires enjoy certain foods/goods made out from certain species of plants and animals? Spice shouldnt be the only good to trade here. many of the missions could be deduced onto the trading system (something like in EVE Online maybe), slaves, specimens and other stuff like that could be put on an empire wide billboard for the player to fulfill instead of having to ask in every effing system of the galaxy (unless you want the whole details). there's also the lack of menaces in the galaxy (biosphere breakdowns mean nothing, and the Grox dont do much, they should be much larger players in the galactic scene taking in account everyone hates them). and of course, we dont need Galactic Adventures if missions could be made on planets by default by beaming down on to them (GA should have been part of the core game, again, as i said, complexity scales and seamless transitions between content, you're a single captain in Space Stage anyways, the Empire should go on its own and give jobs to you, you could be exploring that huge galaxy while your empire deals with its daily trading and diplomacy, if there's a war brewing or an ecological hazard you could get the notice but they should figure that by themselves, a better system on this with using the adventure features on normal planets and it would have been good to go).

sorry, i got myself carried. TL:DR we have the technology, while there's no options that follow the game's formula, we can hope someone at least copies what we had and makes it better, even at an early access stage.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 09:27:52 pm »

Those were more or less my points of contention with the game and hopes for any spiritual successor too. My biggest complaint was that each game you run played out almost identically, which got real boring real fast, and i didnt get to see much of other players creations anyway
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 10:05:21 pm »

My biggest complaint was that each game you run played out almost identically, which got real boring real fast, and i didnt get to see much of other players creations anyway

its because of the lack of variety in terms of options and the straightforward progression of the stages. the only thing needed to progress throught cell stage is eating and avoiding predators, your parts dont matter honestly, you could do well without collecting anything. Creature Stage ramps it a bit by making you choose between killing or befriending other creatures in order to gain brain capacity and DNA, but its still very one directional because you cant do much more once the stage is finished.

if there were seamless interactions between stages it would have been a much more challenging and interesting gameplay. for example, having a neighboring creature becoming sentient ahead of you would mean dealing with hunters, being abducted by an alien spaceship and end on another planet would be another (allthought that would be problematic in terms of saves, but still interesting). having to adapt your cell to the cold due to a climatic catastrophe could have been a nice challenge during cell stage. your society advancing to become space worthy and then end again on the stone age (or worse) due to a meteor launched by the Grox would have been a frustrating (but funny) incident.

the game didnt really need to be the end of all things in terms of life simulation, just have a system that allowed scaling, interaction and transition between the stages instead of making each stage separate in the same world.

all the gameplays are basically the same, the only real differences are done by the player's choices, but the world as a whole doesnt really matter because all of them are T3 colonies with more or less the same landmass distribution and resources. even when there's the whole ecological collapse during space stage you barely see that during the start of the game. you get to see some aliens visiting and abducting your friends or pets but apart from that there's no reall hazard that forces you to adapt your diet or your morphology.

cant say the original 2005 did it because form what was shown the climate didnt matter either, it was more complex in terms of other things but you didnt see a blizzard or a meteor causing a mass extinction. in fact, all those terraforming tools like the Volcano or the Ice Meteor SHOULD have an effect on the planet's biosphere, yeah they're suppose to help on terraforming a planet, but if there were lifeforms in one of those T1/T2 planets (or even T3) they should be affected. that doesnt happen.

and that type of interactions should have an effect on the gameplay so it makes the player use their heads, plan an strategy or just do it and then deal with the consequences.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:12:33 pm by xaritscin »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:50 am »

got introduced to dwarf fortress becuse of spore way back then. spent years hype-ventilatin about spore and when it finally came out got so underwhelmed wth it i had a very long conversation about everything i was hopin it to be wth sum dude. he brought up this weird game he read up about on the internet
Pages: 1 [2]