Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Newb's Encounter With a Forgotten Beast  (Read 1723 times)

sporkyz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Newb's Encounter With a Forgotten Beast
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:15:58 am »

Hey all! I'm brand new to this forum, and haven't been playing DF long. I'm not sure if there is a thread for this already, but if anyone is interested I'd like to share the pathetic epic tale of how a forgotten beast mercilessly murdered every dwarf in my fortress with the exception of a single dwarven child (presumably to prolong my suffering.)

Let me know if there is any interest or a thread i should have posted in in the first place. Thanks  :)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: A Newb's Encounter With a Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:02:04 am »

Hey, feel free to share. Tale reminds me of a certain Supergoat...

sporkyz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:31:04 am »

Ok, here goes.

I was in the middle of my second fortress. My first fortress was the standard "introductory fortress," with savagery and beasts lowered, so this was my first real Dwarf Fortress experience. I was around 2 years in, and I had finished every fort necessity (including a torture pit full of FPS thieves cats and dogs) except for one due to its lack of usefulness in my previous game: my military. I was in the middle of producing iron armor and weapons to give to my useless peasants brave warriors when I received the notification of a Forgotten Beast. I had placed cage traps around my stairwell so I thought, Everything is fine.

Everything was not fine

The FB was a "giant elk" with "deadly dust." He began his attack by finding a hunter, then proceeding to block out my vision of the events by flooding the area around him with a dust cloud. When the dust subsided, the hunter was dead and the FB was untouched. He then began his march up the stairwell after, much to my dismay, walking calmly through my cage traps. I quickly commanded my squad of migrant fishery workers to don their armor and fight for the glory of the fortress. After commanding my squad to attack the forgotten beast, I discovered two things:

1. Fishery workers =/= skilled warriors

2. The forgotten beast's dust caused near-instant paralysis

Despite the valiant efforts of The Mountain Clams, the Forgotten Beast had only minor injuries, and all of my weapons and armor were now covered in paralysis dust. I realized I would have to have my remaining dwarfs attempt to kill the beast, but when I went to my status menu to check who remained, I found that because I had never enacted the burrow while I was frantically setting up my military, 50 of my 60 remaining dwarfs had happily rushed to their deaths in hopes of taking cave spider silk socks off of their dead friends' bodies. The deadly elk worked its way through my fortress, killing my dwarfs as it went. However, even ending my fortress wasn't enough for it; it had to torture me as well. The forgotten beast killed everybody in my fortress with the exception of a single Dwarven child who happened to be the only one on the top layer of the fortress. I was forced to run my fortress for 2 in game months before the FB found the child, paralyzed it, then became preoccupied with destroying some stills and carpenter's workshops while the child's diaphragm stopped, suffocating her (at least that's what I think happened, I was preoccupied with shouting about how stupid !Fun! paralysis dust is.)

Dwarf Fortress is a cruel mistress, but I can't wait to start a new fortress and get my revenge :D

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:19:17 pm »

Is anyone else for converting this to a thread about your first fort lost?

I was testing a mod I was making. I made a hole in the ground, was attacked by a solano, then, to my horror, found out I was in an evil forest. And if that wasn't enough for my little hole-in-the-ground fort, I got a flood from the river. My last dwarf died from drowning while trying to fight the zombie solano threat.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »

I was testing a mod I was making. I made a hole in the ground, was attacked by a solano, then, to my horror, found out I was in an evil forest. And if that wasn't enough for my little hole-in-the-ground fort, I got a flood from the river. My last dwarf died from drowning while trying to fight the zombie solano threat.
You were already making a mod when you lost your first fort?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:01:56 am »

That's uncommon?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:32:08 am »

That's uncommon?

Yes, that's uncommon. Probably. I thought the game was confusing enough without raw manipulation.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:05 am »

That's uncommon?

Yes, that's uncommon. Probably. I thought the game was confusing enough without raw manipulation.

Raw manipulation isn't confusing. Probably because most of my mods are basically sentient/slightly different variations on other creatures.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:35:59 pm »

I didn't really play any forts long enough to lose them, at least not until the undead solano horde, which wiped me out in about an in-game week.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »

While I've given up forts due fps/situation inefficiencies, perhaps my first fort where truly everyone died without me intending so was a test embark in joyous tropical swamp with flat volcano.

Keeping everything aboveground, eating plants and shrubs, I find beauty in draining murky pools to a volcano. So elegant, 1 digging designation to create engraveable obsidian floor for magma workshops, sand and clay adjacent, with area for farms right next to it due muddy ground...

Fire imps climb out and get into tussles. No big deal...But dwarves knock them unconscious and then leave them lying there, due brawling level of encounter.

'Oh well. Better put a guy in squad and order him to finish the job.'

‼grass‼

‼dwarves‼

‼dogs‼

‼last dwarf, alone, on top of a ‼tree‼, without an axe to get down with‼

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:45:04 pm »

I had a similar flat volcano embark.  I was so hyped having early access to magma. 
A magma crab floated up, spit fireball on a passing bird (barn own), missed but started grass fire that spread to my above ground area igniting beards and clothes alike.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »

Well, *I* personally started modding A LOT after my fort borked after my first raw mods. I started playing adv mode mainly since then.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »

Well, *I* personally started modding A LOT after my fort borked after my first raw mods. I started playing adv mode mainly since then.
Adv mode is way to confusing to me so I just stick with forts.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:39:38 pm »

Adv mode is way to confusing to me so I just stick with forts.

For me it's the reverse.