Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climbing Ropes for adventure mode  (Read 1079 times)

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Climbing Ropes for adventure mode
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:58:40 am »

It'd be cool I think if you could take a rope and nteract with it and "secure to ground" at the edge of a cliff. The rope would then become a tile where you secured it. You could then "lower" or "raise" it by sing it. This would add another piece of rope to it at the lowest z-level the rope reaches or add a piece of rope to your inventory and remove the lowest rope tile on the line respectively.

Climbing up or down the rope would work just like climbing any other surface, but it would incredibly easy. Somebody with dabbling climbing should be able to make it up and down short lengths of rope, and somebody with at least novice climbing shouldn't ever fall off.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing Ropes for adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:44:14 pm »

Some sort of climbing apparatus is planned but the implementation of this mechanic would be nice to see, do you mean abseiling using rope from your inventory to make temporary climbing tiles in mid air? (i guess that's a simplification) because that's how i'd practically see it happening personally.

• Not forgetting siege ladders or enemies throwing their ropes over the top of your fortifications to make climbing tiles upwards
On that note about expanding climbing natural plant formations that are attached to the side of a building or a wall that grow naturally over time would also be nice obstacles to clamber over, a strategic problem that may allow a easy point of access into your fortress.

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing Ropes for adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:09:33 pm »

Some sort of climbing apparatus is planned but the implementation of this mechanic would be nice to see, do you mean abseiling using rope from your inventory to make temporary climbing tiles in mid air? (i guess that's a simplification) because that's how i'd practically see it happening personally.

• Not forgetting siege ladders or enemies throwing their ropes over the top of your fortifications to make climbing tiles upwards
On that note about expanding climbing natural plant formations that are attached to the side of a building or a wall that grow naturally over time would also be nice obstacles to clamber over, a strategic problem that may allow a easy point of access into your fortress.

That's how I would imagine it working too. It takes one piece of rope out of your inventory and turns it into a climbable tile, much like how placing rope works in Terraria.

And about enemies throwing ropes over walls, maybe there could be an item called a grappling hook, and when you/an invader throws it it creates a tile where it lands with rope going as far down as you have/physically possible.

Now I'm imagining specially trained "climbing goblins" who try scaling your block walls and dropping down ropes when they reach the top for the regular gobbos to climb up.

Who wouldn't love watching an army of goblins funnel up a long rope on the side of your wall, only to all fall after your axedwarf cuts it lose?
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion