Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 36540 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2017, 11:39:53 am »

Just as a heads up, the turn is half written, however only at the weekend do I reliably get whole blocks of time I can dedicate to writing it. I'd like to get it up soon,  but you may have to wait until this weekend. We'll have to see how my evenings pan out.

Regarding trade,  if you have a chain like:
A-B-C-D

And A opens up trade with C using their mutual trade links with B you'll get:
A-B-C-D
\___/

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2017, 11:52:05 am »

There's a longer post about trade here as well that's a bit more detailed... But the short of it seems to be yes, a world wide trade line with 8 hops though it (as we're currently making) is perfectly fine.

I kinda realized that it's a bad tradeoff, efficiency wise. Weapons for fermentation--a permanent bonus to something situational, and spendy. >_< So you've got a boost to grab more land quicker, and I've got beer. Without the money to even make anything from it.

Funny. I also feel like I got the short end of the stick in that deal.  :P I sorta accepted it not because I thought it was a worth while trade, but because I thought it'd help you out and I wanted to be nice...

If you have enough money to make a longbow man and you've not even built a bakery and brewery in your capital... Don't make the longbow man. Make the income buildings in your capital... You should have done that as soon I traded you the tech, basically no matter what else you wanted to buy since then. They cost 700 dollars and give 220 dollars a turn if you build them in your capital. They'll pay off way faster and better then buying a unit. There's not much that gives a better efficiency of return then percentage income buildings in your capital.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »

There's a longer post about trade here as well that's a bit more detailed... But the short of it seems to be yes, a world wide trade line with 8 hops though it (as we're currently making) is perfectly fine.

I kinda realized that it's a bad tradeoff, efficiency wise. Weapons for fermentation--a permanent bonus to something situational, and spendy. >_< So you've got a boost to grab more land quicker, and I've got beer. Without the money to even make anything from it.

Funny. I also feel like I got the short end of the stick in that deal.  :P I sorta accepted it not because I thought it was a worth while trade, but because I thought it'd help you out and I wanted to be nice...

If you have enough money to make a longbow man and you've not even built a bakery and brewery in your capital... Don't make the longbow man. Make the income buildings in your capital... You should have done that as soon I traded you the tech, basically no matter what else you wanted to buy since then. They cost 700 dollars and give 220 dollars a turn if you build them in your capital. They'll pay off way faster and better then buying a unit. There's not much that gives a better efficiency of return then percentage income buildings in your capital.

Depends on your strategy.  A Tall strategy favours heavily constructed infrastructure from the get go; build up Farms and Breweries, make money, then slowly expand to the next land and rinse and repeat.  A Thin strategy suggests forgoing any expenditure on infrastructure and relying on the momentum of your armies, preferably loaded into a Doomstack with minimal reinforcement for the lands not on your front (what Sun Tzu might refer to as striking down from on high in offence instead of building up from low in defence, if I remember correctly) - it's a powerful Momentum strategy that leaves your flanks exposed, but you can get a lot more real estate a lot quicker than a Builder strategy.

For you, however, you really should follow Tall expansion, at least for the moment, or failing that accept my earlier offer of a full military alliance and get the pigs of war to do their fighting alongside you.  You lost most of your army early on in the disastrous Turn 1, and a Momentum/Thin strategy is sort of out of the window for you.  Tall is a much better way of getting back on your feet until you have a large enough army to betray me and take my lands.

tl;dr  You don't have enough military to make money by conquest right now.  Build infrastructure instead to support a larger army.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 01, 2017, 12:50:12 pm »

I'm not sure if there's really much of a line to be drawn between tall and wide here. Combining them seems to be the most effective/only way to go. Really just what you want is the maximum amount of income you can possibly get (unlike in some games where there's different resources and so it's easier to differentiate strategies, like perhaps a large empire might have more production but worse research... Since the only resource that really matters is cold hard cash, the only real strategy is to go after as much of it as fast as possible.) Sometimes that's going to be gotten via investing in troops and taking lands. But currently for Tiruin that's 100% going to be gotten by building the bakery and brewery... Either way spearmen are probably better then longbow men though hah.  :P

One of the most interesting parts of a trade network is going to be able to see the income of everyone else. It'll be especially interesting to see how the people who stayed small and invested in their capitals faired, IE: If it turned out tall was right after all. My capital is making 1131 dollars per turn currently, which... feels okay given that I also have a fair (although not max) number of provinces, but I'm interested in how rich, for example, Papajs capital must be at this point, with 8 turns of research and investment.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:06:18 pm by Criptfeind »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

Whew. Had a bit of a panic there when upper dalton wasn't colored in even though I took over.

Shame about adapting farming not supporting Economic buildings, might that be something I could research around later on? Or sorta rip that idea.

Welcome to the trade work, ya ya ya.

Edit: Also copper isn't giving bonus cash, is it like iron? (it's not on the resource list)

Edit 2: Also there's like veins all over Owldale S. Watch out! It's actually a giant fleshy monster!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:21:30 pm by Criptfeind »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2017, 04:36:16 pm »

Bartrio watched the hawkers from atop his cart as his slave beasts pulled him though the market. Mostly humans, with a rare few tieflings in the mix. A new class of people, professional merchants who did not produce anything, but merely traded goods from one place to another and one person to another. They had sprung up all over the brimstone republic of late as trade between them and their allies bloomed. But no more commonly then here, in hasty construction that had clustered around the town of Maverick, the tents and ramshackle buildings made of the ruins of of the wall that once ringed the town... Rumor had it that the Vulk Family owned many of the newly constructed buildings that had been haphazardly thrown up as the population boomed in response the massive flow of trade. Here Tiefling dealers rubbed elbows with Pork trade swine, proud alliance merchants, peddlers from the far off storm empire. Many of the older and more established tiefling families had decried such close dealings with lesser races, saying that if trade happened at all it should be held at a distance and though intermediaries. But money talked more then tradition, and Bartrio wasn't one to let the economy of his hou.... country suffer for the old ways.

Finally reaching his destination, Bartrio hopped off the cart as strode into a building. A House Iodrite winery that would open later in the day to quench the thirst of travelers from near and far, but for the moment was closed and reserved for this particular meeting. Bartrio's house had recently had a small spat with House Iodrite over funding for the army and thus was late, although not enough that it might be considered unbearably rude, a small barb to show the house who was still in charge in the Republic. Within the house he found the Iodrite representative along with the messenger from Pork. This would be, hopefully, the final meeting about the deal that had been in long talks with the Suidae kingdom. The Iodrite representative was there to finalize the work to invest in her house in exchange for technological assistance, and Bartrio was there to, hopefully, send a team of diplomats with the messenger to teach them the basics of dealing with others.

/ooc Iituem? Deal still on?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »

Whew. Had a bit of a panic there when upper dalton wasn't colored in even though I took over.
Oops. I'll update the map.

Shame about adapting farming not supporting Economic buildings, might that be something I could research around later on? Or sorta rip that idea.
With extra research you can do it.

Edit: Also copper isn't giving bonus cash, is it like iron? (it's not on the resource list)
I haven't updated the OP t all yet, but yes it's basically a weaker version of iron.

Edit 2: Also there's like veins all over Owldale S. Watch out! It's actually a giant fleshy monster!
Aww... Are my roads really that bad? :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2017, 04:47:39 pm »

Oh. No, now that you say roads, I can totally see it. Look, they even go to each and every adjacent province. That's adorable. Verycuteroads/10

Also since I'm thinking about further research now. Is researching more industry slots going to be hard? I'm not sure if asking for such hints is allowed, but I figure I'd better ask. I don't really have a lot of cash to pour into it if it is particularly hard.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »

You'll need Infrastructure III to unlock additional industry/culture slots. And to get that you need Infrastructure II first.

Also! The OP has officially hit the character limit. Time to split it into separate posts.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »

Was not telling me any results from the event success purposeful?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »

Was not telling me any results from the event success purposeful?
... No. Hang on.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 02, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »

Did I get the tech or my troops back?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:14 pm »

Your troops were destroyed attempting to retreat and as micelus was the one who claimed the territory he gets all the event rewards. He can of course give some/all of them to you, but I wasn't going to make that decision for him.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »

Your troops were destroyed attempting to retreat
I am in pain.

Pain.

At least I have am anti-shenanigan tech that does something.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 02, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

Cript:  Deal is on as before.  Money is being 'wired' to your 'account' (Read: a bunch of slaves are dragging it in carts over the course of this turn).

Edit:  For the sake of Fluff, even though I know the actual numbers of Units are deliberately vague (because I designed it that way seven years ago), shall we give an approximate number for infantry units when writing fluff out?  Does 500 sound good?  (So an army of 4 Spearmen and 2 Macemen would have 2000 spearmen and 1000 macemen.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:51:43 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37