Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My outpost liason is a goblin... and now fighting my dwarves  (Read 1320 times)

Skellington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The goblin liaison of the mountain home arrived, negotiations were completed, and he went down to the dining hall to loiter for a bit. Naturally I missed the alerts about someone fighting (cancellation spam always gets noticed, inexplicable fights? I only discover THEM far too late. There was this time with a were-ass child... but I digress). It seems the Outpost Liaison was fighting with a (barehanded, unarmored) dwarf. In a few ticks the goblin was 'no longer enraged' so I figured it just had a bad mood, or perhaps it had fallen through one of the non-Osha-approved sections of the fort. But the NEXT time I check the dining hall, the darn Liaison is fighting again! And this time he's managed to render a dwarf immobile.

How do I deal with the Liaison without a loyalty spiral? This is the first autumn at this fort. I have no complex death traps where he could 'accidentally' go missing, even if I knew how to lure him there.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My outpost liason is a goblin... and now fighting my dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »

The outpost liason will normally spend a lot of time in meeting halls.  Undesignate all your meeting halls.  Make a small (2x2?) meeting hall.  Make sure you have no idlers except for your best miner -- give them no jobs.  They will undoubtedly meet in the meeting hall and given the tight space, it should provoke a fight.  Picks are good weapons when wielded by skilled miners :-)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »

You probably won't get a loyalty cascade for a lethal fight against the liaison, since he's probably neither related to nor friends with your citizens (although visitors can be a problem). You can also extend mikekchar's suggestion by making the tavern inactive until the bugger leaves (quite possibly early spring).
If you were to examine the liaison's thoughts I guess he likes brawling, causing trouble, and argue.

Skellington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:41:10 pm »

Well, in the report he's exhilarated by the fight, so maybe it IS just a hobby. But it's one that cost him his back teeth.

Building a meeting hall to be aaall his own, as mikekchar suggested!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:45:36 am »

Don't make it single tile, though. That has caused some serious lag when people have tried to occupy the same tile and failed to find alternatives.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:52 am »

Goblin visitors in general have a tendency to start fights in crowded taverns. In my forts it generally ends badly for them, since most civilians carry picks and/or are trained in unarmed combat.

One goblin outpost liaison was actually killed when she picked a fight with a wrong dwarf; no cascade happened, and the next autumn saw a very polite dwarf liaison visit the fortress.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 06:32:06 am »

My liason won't leave the fort, and requires a ridiculous bedroom. #Unretired
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 01:18:04 pm »

Do you have a monarch in the fortress? If so, I'd expect the rest of the 'nobility' to take up residence there as well.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:32 am »

The goblin liaison of the mountain home arrived, negotiations were completed, and he went down to the dining hall to loiter for a bit. Naturally I missed the alerts about someone fighting (cancellation spam always gets noticed, inexplicable fights? I only discover THEM far too late. There was this time with a were-ass child... but I digress). It seems the Outpost Liaison was fighting with a (barehanded, unarmored) dwarf. In a few ticks the goblin was 'no longer enraged' so I figured it just had a bad mood, or perhaps it had fallen through one of the non-Osha-approved sections of the fort. But the NEXT time I check the dining hall, the darn Liaison is fighting again! And this time he's managed to render a dwarf immobile.

How do I deal with the Liaison without a loyalty spiral? This is the first autumn at this fort. I have no complex death traps where he could 'accidentally' go missing, even if I knew how to lure him there.

For some reason, this post makes me want to......

"Your Mother was a Were-ass, and your father humped the trees a lot!"

Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!