Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd question / Engravings and Happiness  (Read 879 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Odd question / Engravings and Happiness
« on: June 23, 2017, 05:36:15 pm »

How exactly do engravings make dwarves happier? Do they need to be adjacent to an engraving on the same z-level? If not, will they be able to walk into a multi-z room with engravings on a higher/lower z and gain a happy thought by viewing them?

Making some tall stuff out of carved rock, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd question / Engravings and Happiness
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »

I don't think engravings actually make passing dwarves happier. They just add value to a room to satisfy noble requirements.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:04 pm »

I don't think engravings actually make passing dwarves happier. They just add value to a room to satisfy noble requirements.

Really? I thought it could give a positive thought, same as viewing, say, a masterwork table.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:44:01 am »

I would have thought engravings were pieces of art, and thus could satisfy that need. I would also have thought dorfs reacted to what was depicted (e.g. detesting/adoring purring maggots), and that that extended to statues.
Note that I don't have any actual knowledge on the topic...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:47:27 am »

Sadly, engravings are not buildings, and only buildings, items equipped, waterfalls and creatures/creature corpses are 'viewed' iirc, as far as thoughts go. There isn't any "viewed a very fine engraving" thought, only one for creating one.

However, I recall in old room value calculation thread that it does extend to statues - subjects they like get a x2 bonus to statue value, so there's that.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:42:07 pm »

IIRC, there is bonuses to happiness if there is a room that has lots of engravings. I.E.: If a dwarf has a really nicely made dining room, they get happiness. Also: if they are in a statue garden in a really nicely engraved room, they get bonuses. But I need to be checked on that.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 06:21:05 pm »

IIRC, there is bonuses to happiness if there is a room that has lots of engravings. I.E.: If a dwarf has a really nicely made dining room, they get happiness. Also: if they are in a statue garden in a really nicely engraved room, they get bonuses. But I need to be checked on that.

Interesting. So I guess it only affects room value and the associated thought.

Thanks for the help folks :)