Poll

Why did you buy DLC?

I thought the DLC was worthwhile and I bought it
- 82 (44.6%)
It was part of a Season pass/complete edition
- 32 (17.4%)
I wanted to complete the collection
- 16 (8.7%)
I wanted the bonuses the DLC came with (Weapons, extra levels, skills)
- 22 (12%)
It was cheap so why not?
- 32 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why did you buy DLC? (Poll)  (Read 3402 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you buy DLC? (Poll)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 05:35:56 am »

No I mean if you have a completionist attitude towards DLC purchases, don't share it. Bay12 hates your guts.
Projecting your opinion on others a bit there?

Nope! :D

I am gladly in the position of experience!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:26:53 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 07:05:16 am »

Jeeze Neonivek, just because you passionately hate people who buy for completionist sake doesn't mean bay12 as an entity does. Heck, bay12 doesn't even exist as an entity! Not until we get these neural connectors jammed into your brain pan at least... And then I guess after that yeah bay12 as an entry probably will hate people who buy for completionist sake... But not until then!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 07:10:35 am »

Look Cryptfeind, maybe you can't travel through time with your Apple Brand Tardis, on sale you really should pick one up, but for us who can afford the 24 quaxons it is easy to peer into the Bay12 neural hive mind.

Also Dwarf Fortress still isn't V1

But on the plus side it works on Windows Linex 7
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:16:17 am by Neonivek »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 03:07:36 am »

I have to admit I buy DLC for a completionist feeling. I usually don't buy the cosmetics stuff, but games like Crusader Kings 2 or Total War games feel like I'm playing a demo instead of the actual game when only playing vanilla. The DLC I'm also willing to skip, is the DLC that is completely disconnected from the rest of the game. The Dishonored DLC is an example of that. It's a separated campaign and I wasn't really interested in it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 03:55:54 am »

I bought the Splat Pack for Carmageddon. I bought all the extra packs for the original Battlefield and Battlefield 2 (if the Vietnam title had any extra stuff, I never saw it...  But it was also the Windows ME of the series). I think I have every expansion pack to The Sims and The Sims 2. But they were not downloaded, they came in boxes from a shop.  I also downloaded freebie/user-community stuff for the Carmageddons, The Simses and the GTAs of the '3' series up to at least Vice City (not sure if I bothered with San Andreas), but none of that was was DLC in the strictest sense.

I don't shy away from developer 'improvements', as you can see, but I'm also not above freeloading upon (legitimate) no-cost stuff. See also (free) Oolite's (free) user-community stuff. Strangely, though, not so much of (free) DF's (free) mods/graphic-packs though. I seem to have a not entirely consistent approach to these things.  I think I just like Toady's vision, raw, but  Oolite is community-driven so I'll continue to accept their further optional accessories (but UFO:AI, similarly, I never did). And the older (commercial stuff) can perhaps be put down to a mindset that has changed, but what has really changed there is that I have grown to dislike "must be connected to the Internet" games (especially "buy this largely blank CD, and it'll then download almost the entire base software from Steam...  You do have a Steam account, don't ya?" so-called-progress), and have avoided GTA IV altogether.

I also have never had a Console where this kind of thing is even more ubiquitous and necessary, to the extent of being "DLable" through the vendor OS... Unless you count my Android tablets and the apps, for which I follow yet another set of different rules. There's some non-Shop .apk stuff on there, but if that's an exception; as yet I have never bought any 'gems'/'jewels'/'coins', nor paid for a Pro version of a game (Google Play has never seen a whiff of my credit card number, so there's no nasty surprises awaiting me through a miscluck)...  Freeloading again, you'll note. Though I may (or may have had to) view ads for things, to benefit some way or other, usually where I'm happy with the package giving me the (non)option to do so, and at times of my (relative) choosing.

i.e. I can see why (modern, commercial, vendor-originating) DLC is good, but it just hasn't really applied to me. Yet I've been reading this thread almost from its inception and seeing an odd mix of attitudes, some of which map onto my own, and I've been trying to work out how to summarise my position. And failed; but submitted it, thusly, regardless...  HTH, HAND

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 11:38:47 am »

For me is usually because it was part of a complete edition.  I hardly ever buy DLC on its own unless its got enough stuff to feel like an expansion.

Edit:  Honestly I have no problem with completionism in general, but spending money on DLC just to complete a "collection" borders on mental illness in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:34:23 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 12:42:46 am »

I have a sporadic tendency to buy DLC. That largely depends if the game I'm playing feels like its worth it. If not though, it depends on the merits of the dlc, possible sales AND if it considerably enhances (read: not necessarily lengthens) the game by a significant margin.

Like TBoI Rebirth and Afterbirth+.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 2 [3]