Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG - Early Access  (Read 841 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG - Early Access
« on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:58 am »

I was looking around the Steam store and came across this game.

"Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem" is an ARPG in early access at the moment. It's main features being open world, random dungeons, a class system that advances by weapon/spell usage and elemental spells that work with environmental objects like lightning on water.

Spoiler: Steam page write up (click to show/hide)

It's currently on version 0.5 and from a guess based on the earliest posts on the Steam forums maybe aiming for a release early 2018.

It doesn't seem to do much that is majorly different from other ARPGs but the mechanics listed intrigue me and I kind of prefer ARPGs that don't differ too much from the norm. Anyone else got any thoughts or experiences on this they would care to add?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:47:43 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:40:00 pm »

Doing elemental effects with spells on the environment is nothing new; they've been doing that since Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with oil pots you could cast Fire on to burn enemies. What would really impress me, though, is if the spells you cast interacted with other spells as well. Lightning could rip holes in tornadoes and wind shields, because lightning superheats air and causes it to rapidly expand and disperse. Fire would counter ice formations, and vice versa; you might not be able to get an ice shard through a Wall of Fire, for example. Throwing oily fire into a mini-tornado will now cause a flaming tornado. Spraying acid spells with water will dilute the acid to nothing. That sort of thing.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG - Early Access
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:00:57 pm »

I've been following this for a while. I have nothing to add, only that I got interested in it as I'm casually playing Secrets of Grindea (and having a lot of fun, which is a bit of a surprise) with my girlfriend.
So I started following this as Secrets of Grindea, albeit co-op fun, is very linear. And I'm yet to see a good sandbox ARPG that I won't drop in 2 hours (can't remember of any right now).
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG - Early Access
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:48 am »

I bought it on GOG EA a couple of months ago and refunded it because of underwhelming gameplay and  poor performance
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.