Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Address Aware?  (Read 2066 times)

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large Address Aware?
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:26:00 am »

Hey guys im quite new and ive got to the point where my game keeps crashing, at the same point in time ingame.

Its a very old fortress and after a little research i think its something to do with 'Large Address Aware'.  Im using the PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack.

Can someone explain to me how i fix this please?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Large Address Aware?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:16:28 pm »

Large address aware allows 43.03 and earlier forts to access more than 2 GB of memory on windows. You need to run it yourself, it is not automatic. You can, of course, reverse this if you want

However, game crashing at same point might be due a bugged visitor, uninvited guest or siege as well. Typically, I find DF only uses few hundred MB of RAM for me, so this would be my initial suspicion.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:23:22 pm »

I used LAA early on when I created a 6*6 embark out of hubris with 0.40.09(?) or so. That fortress crashed due to running out of memory and its life was extended through an LAA fix (which I don't remember where I found it or how I installed it). With 0.43.05 the recommended method, if using FPS killing data sizes, is to use the 64 bit version of DF. Note that the LNP doesn't exist in a 32 bit version for 0.43.05 (although DF itself does).

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »

However, game crashing at same point might be due a bugged visitor, uninvited guest or siege as well. Typically, I find DF only uses few hundred MB of RAM for me, so this would be my initial suspicion.

So how do identify exactly whats crashing my game at the same point in time?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »

There is no standard way to determine what causes a fortress to crash. Painstaking examination and elimination of possible causes may help.

What does "very old fortress" mean? Created a long time ago using an old DF version and still using it, old version fortress upgraded to version X, or a fortress that's been running for X in game years on the current (or recent) version?
You're providing very scant info on versions, mods, DFHack plugins used, what's happening when it crashes, embark size, etc.