Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Orcs] Hunting/ammunition issue  (Read 803 times)

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
[Orcs] Hunting/ammunition issue
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:28:52 am »

Hello kind sirs/madams,
I've been on/off on DF for a some years, and I just downloaded the newest Masterwork version (1.28). I used to play orcs on the old MW a couple of years ago I believe, so I decided to keep doing that.
The issue is, quite simply, my hunters won't take the ammunition I crafted for them. I tried the fixes I remembered (hunting has always been wonky I believe) like forbidding/unforbidding the arrows, I got quivers, I got the right ammo in the military menu (even specified they are to be "wooden arrows"), I got the bows, and Therapist warns me that ammo is missing, and I got bows (not crossbows, regular ones) equipped. My two hunters simply won't pick up the arrows and go hunting. What might I be doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated, I tried googling and searching the forums but I only come up with old fixes that don't seem to help.
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
Re: [Orcs] Hunting/ammunition issue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:36 am »

I know I'll sound like an idiot or a lazy asshole who screams for help at the first difficulty, but SOMEHOW, they autonomously started hunting right about now. I have no idea what happened or if it's something that I did while fiddling. I thought about deleting the thread but I suppose it might serve someone who was in the same position as I was. I just waited for a season or so and then my hunters decided to wake up...
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Orcs] Hunting/ammunition issue
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:11:42 am »

sounds about right.  It seems in 43.03/05 that a hunter has to have a new target before he picks up a new set of arrows... and he almost never will go out after flyers.. so about a season of waiting for a new target and suddenly hes up and running.  I've also utilized a force squad/civilian switch... basically put the unit in a squad,station it somewhere for a day, then cancel order and then kick him out of the squad... he then returns to civilian life grabs gear and goes looking for a target.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal