Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads  (Read 35829 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 11:46:32 pm »

A vector set out in the wild! Very nice. And now you've got me thinking of a SCP mod...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:14 pm »

Continuing where I left off....I change my mind and decide to station military under hatch too. The sole visitor can take the brunt of attacks.

And I recalled I do have two sharp weapons! Woodcutting axe and mining pick.

Who was the temporary woodcutter again...?

||

Oh.

*single-steps*

||

Well hello there crossbowgoblin corpse.

...And pick?

||

Can't remove if he's asleep. But I suppose he'd make a reasonable military dwarf.
Now, back to Kadol aka mister doomed.

||

Mister doomed lacks the sense to run away, I guess.

||

And at this point, rescuing is kind of...Eh. Bye Kadol, I'll ambush instead.

||

Looking at the reports, I can confirm the potential problems of vengefulness still present.

||

Actual location since embark:

||

Safe underground.

||

VS very unsafe midair.

And...

Oh no.

||

The military saw the goblins and ignored the station under hatch order. Maybe they'll flee anyway if I disable station order?

||

Nope. Meeting on the bridge is kind of super bad, though, given they'll just dodge into water.
I could disband them from military, but that loses shields, ranged support and what bone/leather armor they have.

||

Hm. I wonder if a kill order can turn them around?

||

Yes it can!

||

I cancel the order and change them around, but...

||

FFS

||

FFS x2 for the ranger/dodger, who triple ignored my orders.

||

Well, here goes nothing. Lifting alert and placing doggos nearby...

||

Dying together in watery grave >_>

...Wait, you're already dead.

||

Oh, a trance?

||

||

Well nvm.

||

...Mistakes have been made. I should have sent whole squad after bard.

||

Huh?

||

Aha! 1 down. Hm, do I try to finish him off, or try the military alert again?...
Alert, I guess.

||

And they're fleeing! Well, the remaining four are fleeing. As for the bard...

||

10 pages of attacks, and this is all?

I really should have gotten to iron earlier.

||

Wait, no! Why did they reactivate?

||

Ah.
But it's too late, they went back to whaling on bard, and I must redirect them to kill.

||

*glares at mist*

||

Well they got out...

||

And back in. Hehe.

||

Well I guess the biter Sodel is going to bite it.

||

He's not very effective...

||

And that dead, foolhardy ranger who first charged in spite of orders and then fleed in spite of order would be useful about now.

||

*looks farther*

||

Oh hey, look who climbed out for the ...fourth time now?

||

Run, Aban you talented blocker, run!

Not sure if to reinforce. Pincer movement, versus risk of dodging on rickety bridge.

At least miner woke up, so he's going straight into squad
Y'know, swim classes seem like a good idea in retrospect.

||

For enemies too; thanks to dead Inod's bolts it is two down now.

||

And...oops, this is why puppers didn't come to help.

||

Fifth dip in the bloody waters of Romantic Volcano of Caskets.

||

Everyone else is underground, so now just has to wait for doggos to arrive and pincer them.

||

Can't touch that, but I hope Aban dodges towards ground. Only 71/500 swimming exp, so far. 

||

Nope.

||

Figures.

||

Doggo's are on the up and up.

||

T.T

||

Oh, a distraction!
At this point, I decide to attack again.

||

Poor distraction, but nevertheless.

||

Here they go.

||

rip aban. Water took you where undead failed.

||

rawr

||

in retrospect, packing 8 creatures in 4 tiles may have been a mistake.

||

Using metal weapons, though? Nah.

||

So far, so good...

||

Roughly as initially planned, teaming up with a visitor...Who may still be angry at my dwarves for beating him for 17 pages.

||

Teethsplosions.

||

I hope the baby is fine.

||

Lols, I suspect they'd have been more effecitive if told to drop shields as well. Didn't test beforehand, but I suspect one does not punch as much if they have shield in hand.

||

Four down, in exchange of my  four, including half of military; both people who knew how to hold an axe. Plus 1 doggo, so its kinda bad trade.

||

Oh wait, two doggos.

||

Pick beats body.

||

One to go, though.
Time to retreat, then advance again. Burrow 1 A

||

Doggo can't wait to get back to safety. The stray war dog vomits.

||

Don't blame her.

Though, hm, should I tell someone to pick up the pick?

I lost both the pick wielders, so I guess iteb Ralidräth shall become new pick+shielder.

Moldath was set to become dual macer, but he's yet to actually see a mace. Plus, Competent shield. ON the other hand, there's two mauls on the ground, which would segue neatly into axe+crossbow.

Plus I need to pick new lasher as well, and combat is within few tiles.

Hm.

Axe and Crossbow Axe and shield

Mace & Mace Mace & crossbow

The second relies on morningstar being edged, and does change the attack profile of the crossbow+sharp setup to bad versus large inorganics. Against sieges, though, it should be fairly decent tho, tho 'stars tend to create tiny pieces which make them not the best option versus reanimation and small edge makes them not the best option versus just undead.

...Hm, actually, I can probably replace that axe in axe and shield in Moldath's inventory with a spear or pick before that.

/ - - - - - - /

||

||

Rip doggo, lasher didn't even get out of water to kill you.

||

Uhoh. Time to spend others to help

||

That may have been foolish.

||

Definitely.

||

Well, got him, though he took a human down too.

Okay, lets analyse the losses:

5 military and 1 nonmilitary dwarf, who were up to accomplished in some skills.
Military having mostly skilled student and up to proficient teacher, all 4-6 dodger. Lost talented shield user (*wince*), expert fighter, talented armor user, proficient biter. The survivors have merely adequate armor user and such.

The dead civilian was most notably Professional Animal Trainer, which is kinda hard to train profession, and I do have lot of biomes...

3 doggos

1 visitor

And of course, I do have save two days before this happened; enough time to get people inside and give military metal instead of wooden weapons.

On the other hand, I already had been planning on orchestrating their death, and this did get me at least 1 scourge.

I guess I'll see if I can still get a caravan first. It is the 6th of Limestone 1394.

Though, one thing is sure.

Romantic Volcano of Caskets: Come see the newly-opened Bridge of Death in The Desert-City of Glades ! The ground is so red that you'll believe you're on a real volcano, and the lack of handrails is to die fo
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:47:17 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:57 pm »

Have been feeling the call of this embark. Saccing few other priorities for a playtime.

So, where did I last leave off...Ah right, extensive military blunder of sending people to fight from the wrong place with no or training weapons over a bridge crossing water with undead. That's like, several blunders.

First things first, I look over the 'military' (meh, once given proper equipment, provided they don't get infected), the status for trade (blood and corpses everywhere and almost no trade goods), the difficulty of retriving things from river (annoying, includes the copper axe).

That roughly sets the order of priorities.

1. Treat injured.
2. Make military train.
3. Produce trade goods
4. Produce military equipment.
5. Resume building.

Mm...Time for a set of orders for the 9(5) citizens I have. Make highwood minecart R, appoint brewer as milita commander, start the cavern trap, do some mining training, brew few drinks, remove floor that blocks minecarts from being filled with water, treat patients...

How many does this give job?

||

All of them? Good.

||

Though that is not to say it proceeds without interruption

||

Edem Cunningmartyr, I am eager to see you visit what has your closer to hundred towers in a dizzy.

Few days later, a liaison arrives

||

This is not terrible news. Deepmined is a mere hillock, known mainly for its horses that outpopulate dwarves three to one.

I put in an order for camels leather (oddly, the outpost lacks giant one-humped camels) as well as some mountain goat and reindeer leather and reindeer, all kinds of logs and metals, some tomatillos and thread, sand and low order of each yellow mug type and of course socks....

..And then discover the merchant caravan self-combusted

"Okay, FF, that's just because of the undead, right?"

||

Nope. They don't attack my dwarves, but they do attack my puppers and merchant pack animals.

Well, that lack of trade is going to kill spring migration. And some visitors. Don't really see how I could have prevented it even without losing almost my entire military.

*unforbids the whole mess, marks 3 steel toys for melting and slaps food stockpile under*

At least it gave a pick and spear....And I guess I should put some dogs in cages..*mutter*

||

Oh? Seems cavern trap caught something.

||

Which makes me belatedly realize I have no way to temporarily lock the cavern while reloading traps. Whoops.

I guess that means bridges.

And also more traps. Decided to install 3 cage traps on the bridge of blood so that if any animals cross it I'll get a pair. Hardly enough for undead army - though it'll get some practice dummies -  but here goes nothing.

||

I also get some visitors

||

A sword to steal? Ex-

||

cellent not-spy, carry on.

Also, dt reveals some stuck merchants.

||

I decide to get rid of them, of course.

Some time after, I notice some horses running around.

||

Snagged a male and two females for breeding. Hope they don't get stolen.

I realize the rest of them could be useful for some hands-on training, unforbid a leather armor and give kill orders.

||

Apparently, one of them has unique way of attacking.

||

I'm also reminded of hatching poults, altho I butchered their moms some time ago.

||

It is this situation that makes one of the visitors decide to petition. Dozens of corpses lying with their gear on the ground, people using horse as a Zesmstum, and close to hundred pets in fort.

Well, a dwarf with off-site spouse petition - not something I'm particularly likely to accept, but I look over their skills anyway, to discover a great engineer and scholar.

Okay, I don't need multiple mechanics moods - I don't know if I'll even need one - but my curiousity is piqued.

Spoiler: open-legendsed Zon (click to show/hide)
It takes a moment for me to realize that he didn't, in fact, author any books despite having great writer.

His wife

...is not going to meet me:||

Well. He could become decent military dude in two and half years with his ability to study, but it'd be cruel to keep him.

Reluctantly, I deny Zon.

||

Meanwhile, military leads horse to water. Then, later to cage trap, which triggers a boatload of cancellation spam due a pack of giant fireflies.

Nbd, since I have plenty of metal bolts from invaders and caravan, but still.
Oh, and another petition...Why do I keep getting petitions during killy times?

||

About sums it up, really. The husband is a mercenary, so I'll probably see them sometime if they don't get killed. He also carries another instrument with divine silk strings, and I have nobody who can play it.

I easily accept ("Discrimination!", thinks seven times more skilled Zon.)

||

Next two humans, though, I deny, despite their willingness to tree.

(And also find and fix a bug in relations-indicator caused by not looking deep enough into the dead absentee werebeast wife of a visitor.)

With that said, it's time for next migrant wave.

After a few mulligans, I end up deciding to pause for the time being. Ja ne!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 07:28:53 pm »

It's been a long time. Now, where were we?

||

Ah, recovering, screening migrants and preparing for trade. Though 15-4 is not the 8+1 civilized members I have...Ah, two drowned aren't listed there; they're instead mentioned in region history.

Thankfully, though, next migrant wave was large, 10 strong, and immediatelly horrified at the carnage.

||

Alas, not as useful wave as previous. Though it's neat that this time everyone has novice swimmer; did the mountainhomes see last battle and say "you have 1 in 6 chance to drow in a year"? Though looking at my previous dwarves, most of them have swimming as well; though 3 are only dabbling. One is rusty, but others probably get experience from walking through aquifer drain (it lets a bit of water through).

The Tresher is....

||

None of the other migrants have this below. Only my milita commander has that.

||

||

The first image would end in "verbal hostility", but jeez.
Can biting be really called verbal?
Ah, she'd snap at me for saying that.

Not that I doubt her skill with words.

||

Rather, I'm worried she'll become the mayor. Since Minkot and Mebzuth are married, that may happen sooner than later. Well, crossbows and mini-forges is acceptable for a short time.

It would have happened already, if I had accepted Hode Spikesburned's Petition. However, no skills of value and he married an older girl at 12 who got killed next year for some reason. He insulted one of the migrants on his way out :/

What life have you led, Èrith Nunùrshorast?

*peeks and finds literally nothing.*

aw :<

Well, I guess I got a pike-lover in Etur though. Practically peasant, but best  creativity in fort. I do have to level their weaponsmith to 2, though, due their novice gem cutter status.
|| *looks at all the brown recluse spiderwebs on ground on embark* *looks at DT saying I have 5 people who hate them* *brews their favourite beers*

Èrith and Kol (good stats, ambusher) go into military, I guess. Lets see, Fikod and Urvad have sword/sword and sword/crossbow. I'm not sure why my military uses swords - or why I have some designations, it's been too long - but I guess for now I'll craft them some steel ones.

Given what happened with last undead siege, should probably also make them train in a place where they won't charge into water.

Just two isn't enough. Well, Ïteb can use a pick, which means Èrith should use something blunt to offbalance three sharp options. Also goes well with dual-wielding and her lack of blocking skill. That means either dual whip or dual mace (though dual hammer would be easy to train on horses), and against the undead goblins I think mace would work better.

Wait, never mind the dual whip idea anyway - whip has [ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK].

/ - - - - - - /

At this point I recalled and decided to try to change to Dragonmaster's graphics set. It's a bit larger, but I have more screen real estate now. Had to fix some bugs and stuff, though - version I use here. Bit confuzzled that my rutile and pitchblende both changed from purple to two different colours of yellow, but it seems to be deliberate and there's lot more purples around now (just have to dig for it). Though the palette is overall more pastel, with dark gray black.

Hm, a few bugs, though I've managed to fix most. Also upgraded twbt to 5.70 since pack had 5.65. Roaddaring in caverns seems unavoidable, though.

Spoiler: Quite the change (click to show/hide)

/ - - - - - - /

Anyway, progression. I've been losing clay collection tiles because of grass growing.

How to solve? Standard is road, but that requires someone to build them...

||

A suspended farm plot will furrow ground as well, with no dwarven touch needed.

Though checking reports bring me back on the matter of, well, wildlife.

||
The poults are winning handily, scratching off bits in exchange of only skin bruises....Wait, that might not be actually terrible military tactic against fragile fbs, since they're too small to be hit, much like's Staalo's walking fetus.

*Assigns 6 poults on map edges where zombies came from*

There's no way I can trade like this - contemplating tossing one of the wild horses into a hole to prevent wildlife spawns.

And it's not just trading either - one of the corpses is just a single move away from reanimating part of the embark.

Well, for military training I'll let Kol hunt for now and put Ïteb from mining to military along with Èrith so the two can spar.  And I guess Ĩton and Mebzuth to add more bodies, though they have no skills to speak of. Mebzuth gets first some mining training, though, much like Kol trains crossbowdwarf on wrens. I guess Ĩton will use spear+shield then by method of elimination.

||

Then let Ïteb head second squad, and give a pick to ..hm. All but Mafol Zegsazir are good (Mafol however makes excellent potter/glazer and reasonable trainer/cook).

Equips for them are progressing too slowly, though...owo what's this?

||

Looked by chance inside a seed bag left by caravan, and noticed that it has multiple types despite being labelled muskmelon seeds bag. Good to know seed bags are mixed before humans visit.

/ - - - - - - /

To add some security, I build additional doors and bridges, and expand on wall:

While at it, I also realize that the stairs on trees aren't going to be built due branches and place ones to the side:

||

/ - - - - - - /

I have an interesting choice, now.

||

Zega, a human married bard (to a fishery worker) of no known note wants to join the fortress.

The fortress population is 19.

1 more, and I'll get werebeasts.

Well, I'll deny of course, since the wife isn't moving. But worth a thought.

/ - - - - - - /

||

/ - - - - - - /

14th Timber 1394

I notice I can't get any pig iron. Because didn't dig enough marble yet.

Okay, two steel shortswords are a go, but for armour...I guess I'll equip people with iron mail shirts; it's unlikely (though possible) the opponents will wield steel weapons.

To reduce weight, I'll size them for wolf men.

/ - - - - - - /

||
25th Timber: Cherry trees look ominious in the approaching siege.

||

The military have mixed attitudes, as newcomer Èrith teaches siege-bloodied Ïteb armour.

And first time seeing this:

I seal off the souther quadrant, and add a walnut door.

||

The blank tiles are furrowed fire clay, where I collected it on.

I also notice I forgot to fix caper tile:

||

Want to fix that, but...Eeh? I don't understand what's wrong. It should be missing a tile assignment, like with dead maize, but all seems to be present when comparing with working string bean pods. All Growths have growths assigned...

*confusion*

/ - - - - - - /

||

||

Good luck, foreign bard legion!

||

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 04:00:01 am »

Okay, is everyone of mine safe though?

|| ||

Seems I'll lose a few pets. Dwarves seem fine, 'cept...

||

Accomplished grower got stuck taking a marble. Well, I forbid doors in her face.

Now, for army. 1 of my steel swords is asleep, so that's not ideal - and the other crossbow wielder only got 1 bolt, disdaining robbing the dead. I order the spare miner to pick up pick as weapon, then station main squad under the hatch.

After smack talk, the first blows land:

||

Boy, the armies of dead sure talk a lot. Lets silence them.

||

(The other bard ran away. Prudent.)

||

I order the squads to station behind a corner with defend burrows for the ambush.

||

Oh. Right. New orders take day to take efect.

||

I'll wait here. Your poetry was incredibly bad anyway.

...And the pikeman corpse gets named Bellinches. I order squads to attack strongest - and also the one standing apart of others - first.

||

My army gets flanked, but they

||

- tortorously press on.

Second goblin gets a shot in at the side ||
, so I order stragglers to target them. Though at the pace above it's going to take a while till they finish. They're probably going to be too late....

||

Is that I thought. But the macegoblin turned tail and fleed too.

Once the milita commander tears apart their heart too, I order them to reprioritize to undead before the body hits the dance floor (RIP bard).

Sadly, it does not work; they keep striking at the macegoblin until it dies.

||
Attack back then!

While the rest are unskilled, they're also five together instead of facing one by one.

||

Welp, that's one recruit I'm going to have to retire at the very least, I guess.
Predictable, with novice-dabbling skills, but unfortunate.
His death is prevented by milita commander taking a leg for an arm in counterstrike, though. ...Take arm instead!

||

There we go.

I reorder targets to hammerman, and this time it works. Maybe because the other target is alreay adjacent, but this time they manage to behead the hammerman corpse before axeman one dies. Excellent work, dwarves!

Now, the others come in in a line, and well..great axe, pike, whip? All nice foreign weapons...useless in the hands of brainless. Quickly beheaded, blended uniformly, de-whippened and dogpiled.

||
Might as well jump into magma

Overall, I think it went rather well.

/ - - - - - - - /

Though, only 1 siege? Hm...I disable military alert, forbid the mace for Èrith and send them to training, but don't open doors for grower below.

Thankfully, it seems like Ĩton gets treated by Edzul (prospective two-hander mooder), and their ability to use second hand might be less worse than I thought.

||

Nonetheless, I decide to designate mauseloums for the sieges:

1st Siege:

||

2nd and third:

||

The small crosses are for the humans who died during the siege.

||
The animals have congregated near the doors

Five from starting seven also deserve nice ways to remember them. I bring up the profiles from their still-living friends (surviving 2 of 7), and make some orders.

||

I put in some orders for what they loved in life. Though I can't produce most of that right now, even if everything but puddingstone, levin opal and leather are on embark. Well, those serve as to remind me. (Also need aventurine goblet and purple spinel crown, but I have to order those from caravan - producting on-site would be 1 in 140 for cut gem jobs.)

Going to take a while until it is dug, though; other priorities are greater. I'll put it ahead of demon catcher, tho.

||
You'd figure the dead would be unhappy, but Aban is actually the second happiest dwarf in the fortress...Jeesh, Desert City of Glades is terrible place.

||

/ - - - - - - - /

As for what those other priorities are....

||

Chickenrunning 1z off aquifer to grow trees a z-level lower.

||

Scewed up first attempt, but there we go.

Along the way I notice some weird stuff:

||

I dug some downward staircases above to prevent designation cancellations.

Shows the biome boundary between temperate and tropical grassland pretty harshly.

/ - - - - - - - /

I've come across unforeseen complication: Resoure starvation.

||

Being on an 1x1 embark without caverns being penetrated and without cutting fruit trees...I can't build things with wood like I was doing.

Well, there's fire clay (and its real useful that 10x10 highwood bridge only needs 1 log and 25 clay pieces), but...

||

I also have ice. Glorious smoothable, diggable, engraveable ice. :>

||

Also, hm, hemp is pretty eyecatching.

||

And I do have constructwithcloth.lua. Something of a minor curiosity, so 43.03 not having necessary mem codes for it hasn't bothered me much - until now. With dragonmaster's tileset, I guess cloth can come in more than just five colours.

/ - - - - - - - /

I keep waiting for suitable petitions

||

Lover-only unmarried human? Deny.

||

Widowed fisherman? Nah, we don't want your kind.

||

Poet with ranger spouse? Actually, you can stay.

/ - - - - - - - /

||

-.- *makes brewer a hunter*

||
I sent squads to help, but miner joined the conflict vengefully  first

||
Buzzards > undead siege, this time. Here goes my backup mason and woodcutter - an axe wasn't enough defence.

||

*sigh*

Well, I suppose it is about time I do something with the wild animals I have caught.

Should have also produced more bolts as well, I guess.

I order those to be done, and....

||

Oi! My accomplished grower and miner's wife!
Alright, belay those tasks ||

||
Thankfully, hospital supplies for the wounded are already inside.

||

Though not every wounded is.

...Well, after waiting a day, I disable alert. No bolts, no washing, no securing...:/

||
(Eventually one of the murder birds landed in the middle of my barracks. )

I decide a murder bird makes a worthy parchment material and forbid the corpse.

However, then I realize I have no milk of lime, or quicklime, or empty bag...And time is short.

Thus, wrote and bound to Shift-N a script to toggle high priority on last thing I told dwarves to do.

Spoiler: "PrioritizeLast.lua" (click to show/hide)

Vanilla's is useful in workshop, but that won't work for other stuff.

||

Alas, it seems like it doesn't retain the name. Aw.

Nonetheless, I place in an order for some clear glass scroll rollers. I guess I'll decorate it with its bone, then.

/ - - - - - - - /

Meanwhile, the buzzars are replaced by worm men.||

I initially disregard those, but get cancellations.

Okay, kill them then.

||

But still just worm men...

||

Oi! What are you doing?

||

So it seems the dwarves were vengeful against worm men and decided to challenge them on 1 wide strip of land.

And my army is so daring it jumps straight into water with just novice swimmer, too...

||

Well, they lost a bit of rust but went fine.
Once out, they could replace their gear with steel and iron smithed in meantime.

Plus the worm men are replaced by barn owl

||

so this seems like a good temporary stop.

23rd Opal - Midwinter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:40:01 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 06:20:53 am »

Took three weeks away. Well, it's not like I wasn't touching DF; merely was toying with minecarts in another fort and recompiling twbt-next for 43.03 so my relations-indicator can work better. (Actually improving it leave for later - though I had to make a small change due string function failure with offsite dead werebeast spouses.)

Coming back, I realize that the Prioritizelast could have used Alt-N instead of shift-N as well ( Shift-N triggers Notes screen), and that I was dumb with going through the aquifer edges - could have used revealdesignated to save on the micromanagement with damp stone cancellations.

||
Well, this was much easier

I also think to check on how the dwarves have been doing, and...

||

My mvp of a miner will probably die of infection in few months.
Oh, and so will the mason/mechanic: ||.
Well, losses are inevitable. Monom probably lost that with fireflies, Ïteb with...I don't even know, I've been ignoring the animals despite their murders.

I briefly consider expanding the tombs with digshape. However,  a brief estimate reveals a problem:

Not enough room for, like, 200, once I cut out the volcano's shape, as I can fit around est~24 a z-level with current designs. I can move them slightly, but that's about it. And in truth, I'll likely to have to sacrifice more, as I seek dwarves with foreign weapon preferences. 1 in ten and twentyfive....250.

*puts the popcap to 30 to keep deaths to a minimum*

||

Oh right, the farmer died.

Which sucks, because for once I wanted to farm. Herbalism is good and all, but for trade it's gotta be syrup meals, when magma isn't yet topside.

I initially planned on water-filled wooden carts - would have been much more lucrative - but that's before dwarf caravan exploded and I was reminded of the limited wood on 1x1.

/ - - - - - /

Meanwhile, I set up priming for minecart repea-

||

hey!

||

ffs

||

Spoiler: so much vengefulness (click to show/hide)

For just one owl.

Well, they go ...

||

Jeez.

It'd take some kind of special trap to block out fliers here.

||

Uh oh. Someone I actually value a bit is in danger. (Also part of why I use custom profession instead of custom names.)

Since I made him replacement farmer an animal trainer, it'd be little amusing if he died, but I hope not.

Alright, I don't want to withdraw everyone, but I need to actually send important peeps to safety when needed. I guess a separate library + burrow + lever with do it now would do it.

...Alas, while the Twohandedlover is safely down there (although swearing vengeance while being completely surrounded by walls underground), the Pikelover refuses to withdraw from combat. Dwarves.

Spoiler: More combat (click to show/hide)

My first miner got an infection, so Mebzuth was meant to have a replacement...But now, Mebzuth gets a bit smashed as well.

Ah well. At least important dwarves are safe....And

||

budding historians (unexpectedly).

I wanted to prevent this, now forcing the issue with burrows, but...

||

Hm. Wrong horse. No, even with right horse it needs the cage for some reason.

||

HFSy finally. Though it's only two days till spring, so it seems I couldn't set up a small 3x5 repeater in a month and half due all the birds.

||
(Though not fast enough, there's an owl flying around here somewhere...Mafol never used that cage though, he just wanted it to be there.)

||
Well that was much easier

Siege shall be in two days, but I dug out a more secure, if ugly path to below, though, as to have this not happen again (windmill is safe due power through floor exploit)

||

||

||

(Hm, seems I bugged up buildingplan  by downgrading .next.)

Since a year has passed now, I uploaded the map to dfma. In biolinum, because export doesn't handle twbt. Notice a small bug: It refused to make multiz .fdf-map till I removed spaces from image names.

Also peeked at legends.

Spoiler: "No siege cap, huh" (click to show/hide)

Huh, wonder if this means it is possible to theoretically be sieged every month, if timers were changed?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »

I decide to start nicknaming dwarves as well at this point. Simple infectees get í, but the Miller and PikeLover from last post get `'eíegouger`' &  `'bend over`'. Along the way, I drop the shield from Ǐton, since they're down to one arm. Should have taken them out of the military, maybe, but eh they already have novice to competent skills.

Since there was needs view in DT finally, I got it down as well. I also decided to replace few placeholder baskets in the tileset. One was singing symbol(took from Fnordset), other...

||

Wiki lists flying bolt as tile 45 (and doesn't list north or south flying bolt at all), but that can't be so. I think they use river tiles (179 and 196) instead. This means that I have to shift plants as well, of couse.

Yup, confirmed ||. *shifts a bush tile 20 to the right* *also adds anvil picture override for forge*

Also need to give back bards music icons, I guess. I was wrong about tile 13.

||
Apparently masterful music is heartfelt

Maybe I'll do some other replacements later, there's room for improvements.

\- - - - - - -/

In these times of war, one of my bards becomes a Guild Representive.

||

(Local rival...So, did all humans in their civ die, or was it decided to send it to me?)

||

Empire of Rooting...It's one of the two human civs that didn't manage to get to the city. The three of them endlessly war with each other. They have interesting set of values:

||

In particular, valuing eloquence, tradition and romance(but not family) means they'll need to perform poetry, recite history, and socialize - while not being fond of partying in the tavern to do it. (The local rival is even more undwarven, having no need for exciting learning.)

On a more personal level, wanting to rule the world and already diplomat after few months in fort? That's a path to presidency!

... *blink*

*blink*

And a diplomat, staying over in another country permanently? This might require an embassy.

*starts  sketching*

I'm not sure if this generated position has any mandates or demands, but as Ejas has no item preferences, it'll be fine-ish prestige no matter the case. Hope I can start a human royal dynasty.

\- - - - - - -/

However, last post ended with the arrival of a siege...

||

I close the doors on them as soon as yak gets through. Of course, my defenses are not climb-proof, but..It should slow them down slightly.

||

Enough for military to lurk on the other side. One has no bolts in quiver, but it'll have to do. I guess I'll have to try increasing bolts amounts or something next.

||

Just in time, too. I target the long-violet-haired squeaky-voice live slate gray spearman with prejudice.
(I imagine they yell orders to zombies like they're on helium.)

||
They're much faster to boot

Two spearmen cross sticks, and...

||

ffs. Ǐton `'1armed`' Bekaravuz is now 0-armed.

Motor nerve again, too.

I guess I could withdraw them....But if they survive, what can they do? Can't pickup equipment, can't bookkeep, can't haul...Ok, maybe they could ponder in the library. I could do research on the utility of chocobos Jabbers as worker caste.

But no. Their best use, for the rest of their very short life, is to bite and take blows from undead army the best they can.

||

I'd say they succeeded in revenge, at least.

One of the corpses is also a marksdwarf, but...

||

...that's a miss. Well, corpses have 0 skill. Nonetheless,  I prioritize lashers next, as the maceman corpse has just a flail.

||
even with no arms, he still triumps

I also learn that falling over takes bit of time.

||

Sword and crossbow continues to be good decision:

||

(different lashers, one has scourge and other has whip)

Ultimately, all fall behold the might of steel pick and sword, with no other injuries.
And since I pitted the horse, I have no other hostilities to speak of either. Pitting into 1x1 holes OP, srsly.

I'm not sure about Bekaravuz's prowess...The bites don't seem too good, but they sure keep the macecorpse busy breaking their grip. Maybe he shall still serve, even with no arms (I guess I'll have to set equips to 'exact' for him, since once off he won't be able to equip anything again.).

But first,  they need to be healed, and were healed last by armorer Kosoth,.
Why mess with what's broke - I record me unassigning their previous labours and wait.

A pointless effort, as brewer Eral takes the job - not noteworthy expect  for their brief stint as hunter and good stats for light crafting.

Further helped by other dwarves - even ones not participating, for I lack a traction bench (or mechanism I'm willing to sacrifice for it).

...Ok, he didn't need it after all, but I already made a microcline table. Aw.

||

Oh well, I guess he can remain a meat shield? Though I note he was justly hopeless after losing second arm. It's the lowest effort option.

||
Well now, what shall I do with this....

\- - - - - - -/

Curses! It seems one can't carve tracks under bridges.

This will not do(function); the cart will fly over. I'll have to deconstruct them and the lever, then link them again.

As for the dead, their areas progress - firstly with a space for craftsdwarf workshop for the slabs

||

Then with using planning mode to lay out things I've mandated....

||
(greatly simplifying, that)

While seeking out alabaster for slabs, I also hit cinnabar, kaolinite, gold...

||
shiny

Set up door-hatch combo for passage and waterflow

||

And proceed piecemeal with ice-casting

||

\- - - - - - -/

10th Granite 1395: A eleven caravan from Amiÿa Ludè has arrived.

I have...a dabbling cook. Forgot to make meals, ah well it'll have to do.

Especially when I have no plans to buy something like this: ||

...Ok, this is nice ||

...Kinda want this as well:
||

But...Elven caravan visit and few trades was too small to bring it to novice ||, so...

||

Some back and forth trading done, I find out the divine instrument was mere 3k, not 30k in value as expected. Oh well? At least got it (trading it off with one of the human residents), along with some cages and buckets (considered grabbing the splints, but I'd rather have happy thought from putting on a an exceptional item). <

Though in the midst of boozecooking, I notice something interesting:

||

Is it because it is out of the restricted burrow area? Or because the seed bag is mixed contents? Hm. Planting a plump helmet from it works, but the bag is named plump helmet spawn bag in the first place.

In the end, I notice it is done after I extend the burrow over the bag, with bag having 1 less purple amaranth seed. I guess farm plots act somewhat like workshops, here. a

\- - - - - - -/

I notice a curious middle-aged petitioner, Besti Dawnword.

||

Hm, what shade of red were vampire eyes again? Still, lovely colour variety.

I accept them - they're single male performer, after all. History reveals curious cockatiel woman master, skills reveal three great metalworking labours as well as ability to hold a pike. Probably two-handed, given the skinniness, but the important thing is being able to marry them off.

Then decide to stop at this time:

||

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 03:30:26 am »

Time for another section after 3 weeks!

Migrant amounts...Instead of constantly editing, I decide to apply (and briefly alter, to count resident humans) max-wave.

I also ponder about moods and check - 2533 revealed subterranean tiles (and going to increase as I dig out tombs). Uh oh. That means I need to increase military size to get under 20 dwarves. I consider and decide to pick my herbalist to replace Ǐton as speardwarf; may she one day return to her old job able to slay ambushing werebeasts.

....Of course, kinda unnecessary, as I get a whip-loving replacement herbalist in small migrant wave on second attempt. And like before, everyone is novice swimmer.

||
They're a bit troublesome, but they're way more important than Kol

I toss majority in the military right away, along with Eral (previous brewer) and Mebzuth Idison (previous, infected, miner). Though I plan on giving them a bit of live training of wood on horse, so till then they can do various minor tasks.

The remaining two being an accomplished potter and adequate bookbinder - who I also then make bookkeeper/manager - and pretty weak peasantry who I make replacement miner, training first on soil.

\- - - - - - -/

So, I got curious: What was the death that prompted my diplomatic priviledge?

Spoiler: The Splattered War (click to show/hide)
Seems she was  a void human; and not a guild representive? Odd.

Along the way, I note the construction of new dark pits

||
Of course, half the historical population is dwarves.

||

\- - - - - - -/

Graves proceed nicely:

||

Buzzard soap memorial pillar is particularly nice.

||
||
Calling it masterpiece before I even furnish and engrave the surroundings, now.

||

Better.

As you can see, I also learned engraving Details are per square. This is not that big of a loss, given that the details decipted are the dwarves dying horribly.

||

The Rain of Buzzards:

||

||

Kind of a small tribute to hang on the wall.

On the other hand, the one for winter siege has a particular annyance:

||>

Had I known it was rhyolite in that corner, it'd have looked nicer. Ah well, can fix with retire-unretire later on.
(I was going to have to do that anyway, if only to obtain stone between walls, but kinda bummer.)

Also, I decide to start tracking fortess live and dead population (editing sort-units and deathcause for it as well as writing a script to display and export death times and one to assign death times to butchered creatures):

||
Clicky

That was bit harder than expected, but part of the issue with in-game per-siege tracking is that there battlefields start to merge.

I try marking previous ones for dumping, and that helps to keep track....

But I also install minecart to push things inside

||

By placing them on the battlefield, I can directly carry them all into graveyard in one go. Though, ah, my hauler stole a loincloth.

\- - - - - - -/

I also decide my cavern trapping is flawed:
The lead bugbat wandered into cage, and then the rest...well, didn't come. I also lack bait food and drink, I guess.

Dissapointing. Knowing previous behaviour, they're still hanging around until this one dies. Well, nothing to it *marks it for slaughter and butchery*.

||
Race, race, race the condition

I decide a better system would be to use a pressure plate to seal the entrances and open a trapped exit with bridge and floodgate, so that the rest don't bail out when leader is captured (simply dropping them in wouldn't catch rutherers or blind cave ogres). Or maybe get redirected when they are. Of course, caverns are still unrevealed.

||

||

Meanwhile, my capture horses are being role models:

||

||
Wonder if horses fight from overcrowding? I hope they do.

Regardless *gathers 3/5 new recruits*...."Kill the spare."

||

Uh oh

||

Imagine, for a moment, rising on the back foot and aiming to to strike you down.

The hooves are strong, the breath is loud, the

||

Good eye, Ushat Fikoderith. Though other two took down actual, physical, eye each, you chose to interpret it creatively.

Eventually other two wake up and pile in too. Horses are tough with wooden and bone weapons:

||

Luckily, my dwarves have close support.

||

Very close. Watering...|

||

I wondered whether that'd get stuck in a loop, but it didn't.

Eventually I withdraw first 3 for more work (plus, the horse is better opponent while they're awake).

However, that wasn't enough to hold horse still; they escape four days later into caverns.

||

I replace them with the youngest poult. I'm sure this in no way decreases my defensive capabilities :P

\- - - - - - -/

Despite having 1 group pitted, it's still untamed wilds. Sometimes something shows up:

||

What a wonderful exclamation. The random poults take the brunt of the angry attacks, then, well

||

as somewhat unexpected. Still, I'm not happy to see dwarves swimming, novice swimmer or no

||

I've got to admit, they wouldn't have gotten out without suffocating this time - I had to reset the suffocating counter for the worse one for nearly three days, when even the best military die in slightly over a day. Novice Swimmer, sure, but no swimming level can save one from diving under a bridge, and once they start drowning they don't stop. Though stunning might have impacted too.

While I didn't do that for the autumn siege, it felt like too stupid of a death here.
Dwarves dodging into ponds and drowning is bit of a staple, but these are swimmers.

Nonetheless, I designate a setup for mass-training swimming and climbing on z91:

||
(The channel is for floating door, the ramp is for ponding water.)

This time, I plan to use bridge deconstruction exploit to inject water (and use bridge later to drain the water), so that I might keep bit of food and drink inside. Going through 5z, it's a little roomy, but it'll work. I've previously tested and water forces climbing; 1z above will be block walls, 2z smoothed walls, 3z grate. Not much, but it is something.

As for using the climbing, I shall add some helpful fire clay fortififications onto the bridge so there is something to grab. Though adding handrails would be nice too.

||

\- - - - - - -/

Alas, it seems I forgot my manager orders and my set-aside coke was used up.

||

Thankfully, I had the foresight to construct some walls with coal:

||

They're toothy now.

||
After dentistry

For same reason, I forbid a thread in case of medical emergency, lest it all be dyed and weaved into cloth (I needed empty bags).

I also note the seed bag in glass furnace:

||
Instead of bringing bag to seed....

\- - - - - - -/

Elsewhere, the new miner trains well. Watery center is done and edges start to spill out:

||

They really should be doing it from above, though. Why from the side, Ast?

Is it because the above is creepy?

||
That is pretty cool though I imagine the eyeballs are staring and judging him

By start of Felsite, the stairs are dug and now Skilled Ast (that's what, about 20 exp per tile?) goes to do require  - -nvm praying need.

I decide to give my military also bit of praying late Felsite, given that.

Miner returned to work, and nicely went to carve out the cavern sections as well as tomb sections and draining area.

||
Under river drainage

\- - - - - - -/

I also thought that maybe the reason why I got only 1 siege before, despite getting 4 in tests, was perhaps due saving the game the moment first arrived.

This is bit of an annoyance, as I've taken that point for a fine time to stop, but no matter.

Just got to make sure everyone is ready bit earlier....

||

....Better drop one of those, Mebzuth.

||

Alas, I didn't manage to get ready the repeater this time either; Forgot to set stockpiles 'take from links only' and thus overloaded few carts.

Also overloaded dwarves so they wouldn't dump out the first. Whoops.

||

Hello death my old enemy. And I might have been right:

||

Ambush has wooden weapons....

||

...While siege has metal ones

||

And they're not friends:

||

There might be even 3 sides....

||

:3

||

:<

Coffee wood has nice colour

||

:>

||

Well, I guess coffee wood is a terrible weapon.

I lure people to get ready behind doors with a burrow,

||

||

...and I have a leeroy who wanted to engage without a weapon.

Though, huh, is this because the zombie is goblin?

||

At the very least, the dude with 2 picks in one hand uses both:

||

....Smart zombies, didn't waste bolts on poultry and waited for army to get close

||
Must be all those brains in their diet

This does nothing to my army!

||

It is accurate to say their resistance only makes my dwarves hit harder.

||

...Oh, their numbers went up (26 total invaders now). They were hiding!

||

aw

||

aw^2

Do I have two unarmed meatshields now?

||
:/

Still, I didn't expect much from recruits.

Older dwarves do much better:

||

||

||
"Can we stop, I think I stubbed my toe..."

There are losses, though. The pets who ran away?

||

Served valiantly as distraction.

Though I'm not sure it was necessary. Ultimately, it seems as if majority of wounds were dealt by pick and sword - the sharp implements on hand (though I had a spearwielder too).

Blunt...wasn't even less effective than expected.

....Oh wait I guess it was necessary after all

||

RIP? Medics are on the way, but if the nerves and tendons are torn...

||

Nonetheless...It is probably time to raise invader cap:

||

||

And the wooden bow user:

||

(Also, it seems mid and late spring was the time for founding another two dark pits.)

||

Before:

||

This means that I created room for those by moving necro towers away.

\- - - - - - -/

Finally, to end it on a bright note:

||

I recognize that name. Why...

||

They're married to my Bard. Multiracial fortress, here we come!

||

Oi!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 07:21:48 am »

So, about Ushat....Doctors are finished:

||

It looks worse than it is - only one leg is damaged. I do have a crutch thanks to that dwarven caravansplosion, but...

*forbids it*

||

I could use more diagnosticans (even if Ushat believes the quest for knowledge to be delusional fantasy). Besides, only the miner in their squad has any kills:

||

\- - - - - - -/

With the defeat of zombie siege, humans - human merchants - are impending. And sure, I have the guild representive - but I also have demand list a mile long.

That means I need to give them lot of profit. Prepared meals alone won't do it in the time I have, going by elven caravan - high material value is necessary. Steel balls would work, but I have used them many times now. And of course, silver weapons laying on ground are priceless war relics.

||

||

With my little eye, I spy some clear garnets and aquamarines. Cheap enough (20) to cut and trade away, valuable enough to matter, the caravan also brings gems I can then use for encrusting and sell back to them =D, and I do have skilled gem setter.

I shall encrust...what the fuck is fanciful?

||

Yes, humans value fancifullness more than elves value trees, or humanity itself.

Looking into creature_standard, this means valuing megabeasts and bunch of other fantastic creatures.

Including, yes, mermaids.

||

*snickers*

Though a dragon burning a tree would be highly valued by both elves and humans.

Only problem is that depot is kind of far  from jeweler's. I imagine I want to do this for long term, so....Instead of gem qsp, maybe I'll have depot there and keep local cut gems inside the workshop? Would combine well with adjacent leatherworker's for production and sale of high value robes as well, and it'd conveniently overlap the forge if I decide to sell metal goods as well.

Sounds awesome, expect for having an open path from outside to directly next to my most valuable crafters. And not having right build colours.

\- - - - - - -/

On a second note, I decide to move highwood logs to the prospective construction site:

||

I also disable road building on everyone. And forbid logs in water and logs in buildings and logs everywhere but in the depot construction materials while I'm at it, because I want the caravan to bring me more logs.

Which makes me realize that, incidentally, my drain system is going to flush things into aquifer. Oops.

||

Would be great to fix that. Though on a second thought (and the lack of grates), I'll be washing things over soap bars, then.

\- - - - - - -/

Before caravan arrival I also manage to move all repeater minecarts into position

||

Alas, few days too late for summer start (damn delays). Hope I got all build orders right.

\- - - - - - -/

So, remember that horse I had military beat on and that escaped into caverns?

||

Scratch the last part; I had forgotten that I had mined that approach (but the mines hadn't).

Speaking of  caverns, I decided I need more approaches to the trap.

With roaddar, I managed to find a tree top

||

(The blue sections near 5x5 have to be walls, because they're not pit/pond zone receptive. The channels are guaranteed due d-z roaddar, and the path to south from them by actual b-o roaddar.>)

And thus mark a new approach to mine:

||

I also make it at lower priority and rearrange more priorities, as I mostly complete new branch of prioritize.lua:

||

\- - - - - - -/

I was bit bothered by how dark smooth/constructed floor tiles were in this tileset. Even bright white becomes medium gray! If I wanted to have white  floors, I had to line them with skull stockpiles.

Skulls are not in short supply, but still - part of the point in the tileset is the variety of colour.

So, new floors are more in line with walls and workshop furniture:

||

Since I didn't use twbt overrides for this, though, there's a downside:

||

Hidden engravings are brighter and foggier.

Not fully satisfied but feels better now.

I notice some unexplained oddness as well. Remember that obsidian bookcase?

Doesn't seem like it used the right tile. Override is there, set for right tile...But that's tile 179 from _IBSHEET, used for buildings actively constructed and activity zones. I attempt to fix with moving it above those - it does not. ....Of course, it is built not an item! *facepalm*

...No dice?! Oh, right, the bookcase also uses metal bars by default; tile 240.

Specifically, what changes bookcase tile to strips is override for activity zone.

It shouldn't, but is fixable with placing bookcase overrides before activity zone's.

||
*squints* got it

It seems to be also used in farmer's workshop NE for some reason:

||

oh wait, it changed to different unintended tile after a bit:

||

I'm not sure what to think there. By default, that too is tile 240 - bars - just like bookcase. It is however overridden. Yet such overrides work in the case of floor bars. Farmer has dense staring eyeball in the tile, but it uses different tile.

Same thing happens in Soap Maker's. Ah, I guess Activity zone should think about what it did at the bottom of overrides.txt.

I further notice that sometimes a wheelbarrow sharing tile with a rock uses scroll tile instead.

||

This seems to be because my twbt notices there is a tool present and item present with tile 23, and uses the second. I attempt a fix with changing rock tiles to be different from tool tiles...Or maybe vice-versa - that seems easier if maybe more unpredictable.

||
Hm. Expected behaviour.

Well, ultimately this is going to pop up whenever any tool shares tile with non-overriden tile
(Most commonly with dwarves being overriden into knifes when sharing tile with one. Hm, I can fix that.)

On a side note, the coffee wood arrow that was blue? Should have been orange.
I checked the raws in the save, and it should be orange, but...Well. I did do one orange to blue change for light teal (marked designations & clear glass, mainly).

A quick check confirms it isn't that. Looks to be AQUA or brightened AQUAMARINE - red being 00 prevents the rest, including default colours.

||

(Side note: green marked designations look ...unusual.But not necessarily bad, no sire.)

Since I want more  green, I mandate the construction of marble blocks. The marble is 10 tiles away from workshop, which is not ideal, but  given nearest free wheelbarrow is 80 tiles away and dwarves haul stone faster I think (made a scrip to record currently followed dwarf's speed), it ends up being quicker in this case.

Also, I need more marble. That's my last boulder, and I have three hundred dig requests.

(It is that this point I feel it would be nice if my miners could get at exposed marble without exposing themselves to the caverns. Well, I could always pull the lever to seal the caverns...)

||
For future reference I order alternate access tunnel, with also access to dig marble beneath.
The shape is a partial concession to aesthetics, but I do need the marble.

\- - - - - - -/

After a bit of finickying, I do manage to get the human couple next to each other.

||

Although they can't do it while socializing...a brief i-x and burrow restriction should solve that.

...It does not.

I guess it's time for doors?

*attempts to repurpose one of the FB traps*

*they idle*

*they idle in same area*

||
fuckyes

On a side note, .

Unremarkable, expect for the  fact that the only scholar I had show up in my test embarks was the Rakust who immigrated in. So pretty remarkable all things considered - was he generated post-worldgen or do some scholars just not come if you lack sufficient fame?

The latter - Kuppo is on the lam now.

\- - - - - - -/

Glorious, cheap magma. How I want thee.

||

Not enough to reveal magma sea, but there's an alternative:

By using burrow to keep track of warm stone, I can locate the  closest section

||

that is not warm, i.e. has stone beneath.

(The will come in handy for removing a mood as well, I guess.)

The goal is an isolated pocket of magma with floor beneath.

My initial plan decreed that I was to throw 21 nested minecarts at 1/tile step through a constructed floor into such a pocket, let them unstack, all fill with magma, then cast things in water and refine them out.

I have since refined the plan.

||

The new plan calls for an ex nihilo magma generator. 3z, exploiting that a minecart on top of minecart will take only 1/7 magma to fill up, and generating up to 60 magma per day. My theoretical max with an unit around this size is 200, but requires extensive signalling setup that I don't care to waste the mechanisms for.

(The biggest slowdown is that I don't have the exact colours I want - it should be a gradient of purple to red there. I try to include a way to stop, so I could replace them later...It must make for an acceptable approximation for now.)

The only guaranteed floor in magma sea is on top of adamantine.

||

Adamantine hollows can be located while unrevealed. Mine snake 1 tile to the east on z-level beneath, then back again.

That means there westmost 4 tile section is guaranteed to be in magma sea and guaranteed to have adamantine floor beneath it (due the tube section 2z beneath).

That would be useless filled, mind you. But all the tiles that flash warm...

||

...must have magma beneath, ergo the SW corner has magma on raw adamantine floor surrounded by walls or more magma (that I know thanks to keeping track of warm stone with burrow).

I can isolate that magma pocket without revealing by casting obsidian through constructed downstairs. I can then access it by isolating a pocket to the side in same way, then channeling a hole.

Going southward for access is more efficient, because there's non-warm (and thus with wall beneath) walls to the east):

||

Side note: this reminds me to check my plans.

I plan to place magma in the  center west and east gaps here, and hold it via obsidian-casting:

||

I now realize that if I obsidianize mason's north tiles, the mason will be unable to pass through the corner to access it due it's northeast and east tiles being impassable; A major mistake with limited solutions.

Best I can see is adding regular rock pile on z-level underneath and swapping mechanic and mason. Even so, it'd be 3 tiles away; Could be 2 if I was willing to make decorative forge or ore melter walk extra tile and 1 decrease distance between 2 smelters by 1. And weaponry forge one less, for sure.

Sounds like good trades *swaps qsp tile stair with ramp*

\- - - - - - -/

Instead of typing, I accidentially unpause and human caravan arrives on 1395-04-15.

||

(All of the above happened in ten days before.)

Interestingly, dwarves seem to be able to pick tasks in forbidden workshops:

||
I thought they couldn't

They send a different Guild Representive and are from the major, 10k strong ⛭town⛭, not from Empire of Rooting. I'm slightly worried they kill my residents with their guards, as the two have long been at war.

||
Indeed, even very recently.

One thing I noticed is that they consider logs even part of buildings to be in your resources - and that those logs may be named without "logs" part -

||

I also discovered Conduct Meeting overrides a lever with do it now! job. (Should have placed it before. Ah well.)

This means I have to decide what to import before taking a better look of what I'll already get. Ah well, lets see via stocks....No iron corkscrews(I'll make glass ones), no muck roots, but there is alpaca cheese.

Hm. It seems gems, unlike rocks, do have secondary colors assigned in the tileset.

For gem windows? No, don't think that's respected. I can import gem goblets, but those don't use it either.

I guess it comes into play if a jeweler with preference for appropriate furniture gets strange mood.

Nonetheless, I decide to import opals. I like opals for their multicoloured facets.

Also more valuable gems, for trading right back too them.

And Blue Jades and blue jade crafts, for they share colour with adamantine. In fact, make that all jades. At this point it'd be easier to list what gems I do not import, tbh.

...!!!

It seems humans do have muck roots and a llama....But don't have papyrus(eh) or bloated tuber(important). Seems I need to get them via adventurer or offshoot fort.

I further demand all their wood, all the stone types I'm missing(easier to list what I'm not missing)...Actually, cut all metal goods at this point - all flour(flour bags are undecorated and thus cheap to buy, cook and sell back) - all beans, since those can only be gotten via trade. Not leather (other than giant wolf leather), but I guess I do mass-import meat just in case.

And I guess blue jade, malachite and rose quartz mugs. Not sure which I prefer, so I'll take both and wait and see.

Their return demands are...leathery. I guess they heard the idea of importing leather too:

||

As for what they brought...the humans also do show the idea of metal gilding of books:

||

The contents are not remarkable, but I think I'll be copying that formatting. With...I dunno. Black Bronze? Rose Gold? Straight gold or steel is boring, platinum is possible but expensive, adamantine only really via melting exploit. Hm, it seems you can stud with pig iron; that's an interesting idea.

Alas, no masterworks *huff*

Though....

||

Divine fabric, and clear glass? This is 100% unproductable instrument. Buildable, too - want.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 11:57:01 pm »

So, another over two weeks (posting was held back a bit by bay12 being offline), another entry. More time spent on developing and bugfixing than playing, truly

||

And still have lot I want to complete one day, but today is not that day.

I first take traders to ecstatic with few smaller trades...Hm, seems like the speed to happiness is linked to how much I trade. 14 micro but doubly profitable trades only gets
them to pleased, where I'd expect that to be case for whole trade at once...

I guess it might help, like with coins, but might also waste time.

I recall that human caravan had alpaca cheese and type in alpaca.

||

Quite a variety of things one can make from one, hm. No actual alpaca, though they have a llama and reindeer I grab.

...Actually, I find I can grab all I really want with just the preexisting roasts. Rest is just profit so that they bring me more next year, I guess. I give them nicely decorated bucket gratis.

||

...The base value for my dwarves is 1840. That's over eightfold multiplier, on top of gems not inconsiderable 20 material value. Impressive boost.

A suspicion overtakes me: Would an engraving of 100 of each fanciful be more valuable? I check.

Spoiler: "Yes. Yes it would" (click to show/hide)

Good grief, this is ludicrous.

A this point, it is clear what I must depict on ideal image. Fairies. Both good (elves) and fanciful (humans).

Some of their meltables had interesting ideas:

||

Some were just expensive:

||

Some of their bought-for-meltables got pregnant with their pack animals:

||

That's a nice extra.

Along the way, my humans get along with the visiting guild representative and even get him to participate in local culture:

||

||

̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶

1394-04-24: My poults are growing up:

||

Could butcher them now for leather and bit of meat, but kinda busy.

However, as great as turkeys are in egg production, I'm thinking of replacing them with...Caught Giant Wrens, as those are useful for trade:

||

...Hey, something's missing.

||

Shamefully so!

||

Despite being next to a cage with fertile male, the wren is not getting pregnant. The cage was definitely placed first, so did the 8 nests surrounding 1 turkey cage only give impression of working, while the actual females were pregnant from earlier meeting? Could be possible.

Regardless, I take the male out of cage and onto a chain. Shame about missed hatchlings, wrens lay only 3-10 eggs at time.

EDIT: Further testing nearly year later shows that males can impregnate in cages after about a day of waiting behind a locked door at least, so I don't know why it didn't happen here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also decide to hasten the draining, in light of recent events.

||

A group of capuchins do arrive, but over the dry broadleaf.

As for the drainage itself...

I should have gone with straight drop down instead of 1 to the sideways.

Well, live and learn. Though even with the additional speed I'd get so, I still wouldn't get access to the pieces on right edge. So, either way....

||

Pumping setup.

Something amusing:

||

Normal...Expect it is in the temple I made to catch a builder for rest earlier:

||

No better place to mediate on the sun, I guess.

Furthermore, it seems like Bekaravuz thinks reading needs no hands?

||

They're correct, it seems:

||

Making them retire as scholar was a good decision. Though I wonder if they turn pages with their feet?

*month later, they're still standing with it in hand, but having not read it*

I guess I spoke too soon. At least they will stop to eat sun berry roasts?

||

There's also some mishaps with the dead:

||

The C is image of Saltwater crocodile and cavy (the crocodile is eating the cavy) The cavy is last, so...It's C, not S :s.

...Wait no, Crocodile starts with C.

I'm not sure Dodòk wouldn't be better as Dodok, either. Well, either of those are easy to fix. Mistaking Shellsoared for Shellsoldier is a greater trouble.

||

Can carve fortification and cast obsidian wall, thankfully, though it won't be quite the same.

̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶  ̶

Along the way of setting up magma capture, I place a mason to make some impromptu rock blocks:

||

It took me a bit to realize the building I placed was blocking the path further. Oops.

OTOH, the masonry allowed me to get access to phyllite on z80:

||

2z more and the dwarves are in hell. Spooky, for I don't really have any safeguards for losing majority of my work, if not the fortress.

||

Warm stone warnings also note that this would be potential area to catch magma grabs from. A turret would be neat.

Nonetheless, five overlaid pond zones give progress:

||

The dark blue is kimberlite downward stairway, the ~ is water on top - for there's unrevealed obsidian beneath.

||

All done!

As I penetrate into gypsum and - desired alabaster - under aquifer,

||

the obsidian gets revealed:

||

Dug in, for magma, exactly as predicted. But a thinking reader can spot a mistake here, something I should have done differently.

||

This doesn't reveal the magma sea, nor grant me access to magma furnaces - the 7/7 magma is on top of raw adamantine cavern floor. I need a separate casting for furnaces, to see a tile of magma sea biome.

Erk!

||

So, it turns out I underestimated aquifer flow. Maybe tightly-constrained dwarf could have retrieved the alabaster in time, but mine have long walks that get interrupted quickly. And turns out 4 aquifer tiles beat 2z stacked minecarts.

I continue horse training in a better enclosure this time, with fewer dwarves:

||

It's much more effective like this, and with just a pair - the best one gets seven levels of hammer and armor user, the worse one...still two levels of armour and eight levels of fighter. It seems bashing wildlife is best solo effort, though the fighter is useful for spars.

Oh, about that blood on stairs? Well I negleted to consider that the stairs led to tomb:

||

Oops. Though I do like the ambience.

(It's full of teeth now.)

Emboldened, I toss bookkeeper/manager into military as well, then send them against horse with replacement speardwarf (herbalist) Litast Keyfires.

(The horse eventually dies of infection).

I add a new horse, and ...oh damn:

||

||

There goes proficient speardwarf/competent armor user with some really nice stats. I knew hooves were dangerous, but I still risked it.

This isn't drowning by accident, this isn't being slaughtered by the sieges (I deliberately invited). Rimtar Playfularmor was a sacrifice.

I shouldn't bury a sacrifice like the others. Though how they came to live in my fort, I shall tell below.

As the late summer days begin, I welcome migrant wave again. It takes longer to get the fourth exotic weapon lover this time - fifteen minutes. I read while I restart dfhack.

Nine dwarves this time - I set the cap to 10, so sparing a slot is welcome.

The rough gem of the wave - Etur Inolavuz - likes longswords (and platinum and slabs and large gems and ...)

Nothing great in skills, but no interference either, which is welcome. Attributes...Topnotch strength and disease resistance suggests a military career followup after mooding. (The lack of willpower and toughness is...honestly, not that important compared to getting tired. That they're rated as worst military in the wave is pointed suggestion to change the roles I use.)

It's pretty good wave in the rest too, boasting great weaponsmith and beekeeper Uvash Turelmistěm (who's also an expert swimmer, as the rest of the wave is novice, plus novice dodger, armor user, crossbowdwarf... - Oi, mountainhome!).

...Actually, that's a little strange, so I check legends. Nope, all void migrants this time. All novice swimmers, all above-average strength (good haulers, I suppose).

The weaponsmith, Zuglar Mosusmomuz, I guess I'll have to sac...Well. Unless they just so happen to like large serrated discs. I do want one artifact trap, and that's best it can use.

I toss them into military anyway due their nice stats (though they have other potential), along with two others.

As for the rest, unsuitable for military... Miner, crafter (due topnotch creativity), hmm....

I think I shall attempt to make Deler Nishsil into an experimental ghostly animal trainer(/hunter?). Their personality is suitable, and they lack any relations (other than pet puppy? How lucky). Maybe siege operator.

I don't know about fisher - would conflict with animal training, and there was the issue of ghosts not dropping their fishes. Maybe it'd have worked without suitable stockpiles.

...Wait, no, I spoke too soon:

||

They have a wife, and they already got them pregnant in the time migrants entered the map.

And what's worse, the wife is Etur Inolavuz - not someone I can afford to sacrifice.

||
And they're a pansy

I guess the best replacement sacrifice is the to-be crafter. That makes me ask questions like "wouldn't it be better to mark 'do it now' on animal training jobs?".

I decide to attempt to sacrifice them anyway, despite their love of dolomite, bolts, brass..."It's an investment."

||

An interesting investment, for they have fishing enabled and have obtained 30 fishing experience. Animal training overrides fishing? Seems so for this dwarf at least. I'd want to use more tests to be sure, but if so...then great!

The beekeeper...I considered Turelmistěm unsuitable, but the rest of the stats are ok and low agility benefits their already-present marksdwarf skills. They're in as well.

I do have to have 12 military active constantly to prevents moods, after all. Plus there's the seasonal zombies. Though I don't want to use my newly-got wood on this, so I'll be making leather shields (ah, but I do have to make wooden training weapons). Those turkeys can now come in handy as well.

Two weeks later, I also welcome the first performance troupe visit:

||

I suspect the trade helped. But the troupe isn't much help, being of humans and dwarves.

...Huh, it's 1375 year old elven/goblin performance troupe (that had no new members between 186 and 1148 ). New discovery: It's possible to found a troupe, yet not come to visit me alongside it. Though it seems like my legends-checking save is out of date for this supermodern history, nay, day-to-day news. Seems like performance troupes don't just tour?

At least one of the former still-alive elven members was bitten by a werellama, though. I'm little thankful they didn't come; would have slipped by all my defences. And they apparently shoot to kill and devour sentients, too. Yeesh, elf+werebeast+archer is a nasty combination.

Can you even unstealth someone who shoots at your dwarves from the edge of their visibility range?

||

I'm...not fully ready for next siege.

||

That has ...a puppy?

||

That's no puppy.

||
Never mind, they left next tick

But? This means I can finally fire off these minecarts.

horse soap Bridge: x: Remove building‼

||
Looks like it worked

Oh yeah, about the other one? Seems they came alone (wtf).

This time, too, the unarmed fighter confronts them first:

||

Wait, no, that's a picklord. *whirrr* *dentist whirr* *corpse hits the ground before the teeth even peak in their arc*

*disables military alert*

||

The dead walk. Hide while you still can!

oh dammit

||

dodge you highly respected dwarves

||

Looks like it's my win again.

||

Ooops? They shouldn't be there, rightly, but wouldn't evacuate in time.

||

Aw hell, man, why did you have to come?

No friends, friendly terms with Etur....

Who suddenly speaks up from elsewhere:

||

So long, fledgling friendship.

||

So long, weird gorlak corpse....It's not dying, and you can't really decapitate a gorlak.

....How do you kill a gorlak husk?

Oh dear. And the lasher is coming to attack from behind:

||

Can trance turn the tide?

||

||

A picklord can. Geez, 15 pages when other corpses die in under a page. A gorlak army would be fearsome.

But a lone gorlak? Once head is mangled, the rest of the undead resistance collapses.

||

With some injuries, granted. Only an ally can hurt a picklord, I guess.

Some more undead sneak into place, fracturing the skull of Litast too, as they start to pickup equipment.

I got ambushed twice? C'mon.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:42:44 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 06:36:07 am »

I tell expedition leader to focus solely on doctoring briefly (via macro).

I then discover there's no soap - it's all used up in buildings. :s
(I mark high priority destruction of bowyer's workshop and some vertical soap bars, which are thankfully removed in time.)

And, huh...

Almost exactly a year ago, Kosoth was in hospital too. That time, they got infected - will they be infected again, now?

Well, they won't treat a brave puppy who took blows for their master:

||

(Placed minecart on a track route. Carved Track north. Placed track stop on southern tile. Builder comes and moves minecart on track/ramp...>_>)

After I stop that, the master goes off to eat. Truly, the world is cruel.

ᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦᐜᐦ

Month passed, and the screw pumps for magma still aren't built.
*marks high priority*

Do I love being able to do that...Though really, constructing walls wasn't so far off, either.

However, I made a small mistake: 7/7 magma in 2 tiles becomes 3 and 4/7 magma. Pumps don't move 1/7 magma, so there was bit left over. I moved it over, though I could have avoided this with better planning.

The magma generation trick relies on stacked minecarts taking only 1 unit of magma to fill to the brim. That means second pump setup:

||

Once done, I need to do it five times more to get the minimum 12 magma for magma generation's consistent operation:

||

Cherry trees look neat in autumn.

||

||

Though I missed harvesting most of the cherries, I did get 20+ stacks from all but olives. So that's good.

The floor I built from fire clay and human caravan logs is quite colourful as well:

||

Apple and Pecan...are brown, I guess. Ashen logs as well.

The rest? Haha no, come on. Kind of beautiful, but not as marked in sheet or raws at all.

...#¤½!

Have to use a hack to permit construction of this temporary depot near so map edge.

Anyway, the merchant tells me the world is the same as ever (surprise), and only brings few of what I want due last caravan asploding.

Their caravan is badly outpriced.

||

I don't know if that happens with neutral images too, or is it because theres 67 plants and trees each on it (which dwarven civilization alters the value of).

But jeez, steel spiked balls have nothing on this. Heck, supersalads can do little, when there's no limit to images used. Well, I give them some roasts anyway, as measure of more tangible value.

About the dead....

Although I started using minecarts, I now realize my task may be little greater than I expected.

||
Tried hundred, paused....Tried thousand, paused...Tried two thousand, paused....Tried five thousand, backdialed....

What is interesting is that check is red when checking just items, though. It starts counting forbidden items, I guess?

I'm forced to welcome new migrants, as well. I assumed they'd come after caravan left - foolishly.

This means that I didn't have a handy save - unless I was willing to discard hours of progress. Hm, no.

Thus forced to accept overall crappy migrant wave of 7.  Well, at least it has acceptable speardwarf and marksdwarf/climber in it, and there's talented grower and dwarf with preference for steel/picks so it is not a total waste... Only like 90% of a waste.

On the bright side, Rakust finally writes something down as I designated the top of craftsdwarf as library:

Rainfall And Rivers And Beyond

||

Seems it is more in the Observer branch they picked up than their Mathematics skills, though the image of Rain of Buzzards is not a bad match.

I also successfully assassinate Bëmbul:

||

Via repurposing bridge toggle:

||

Hope they come back and continue training dogs.

Migrants don't think much of it:

||

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:43 am »

Decided to come back and look at fortress again. Despite my numerous notes, posts, plans and thoughts there's still confusing places.

||
Why are there two bridges? I've forgotten.
But I'm taking advantage of new tavern research and expanding.

Fortunately, I mostly handled migrants previously. Miners and military. Though truthfully, I need the haulers for the corpses. I guess my animals shall be free-range now.

||

||
There are consequences.

||

Unfortunately, I notice one of my whip-wielders has lost a hand motor nerve in the combat previously and is now weaponless. I order them to drop shield, buuut I really should be taking them off the squad.

No matter, the rest of the fortress proceeds as desired.

||

||

||
I later notice I accidentally forgot to uncheck "Restarts if completed". I now have 4 extra slabs.

||
Some visitors come back after rejection...For another rejected petition.

||

||

||
Stupid mud, ruining pretty door.

I also wrote a script₁ that assigns death dates to butchered livestock, given their skull or whatnot.
Expect...Found game segfaults when saving after using it >_>

||

Doesn't apply to Urvad, though. Not  sure whether to build a shrine for the puppy...
Maybe in their owner's room?

...Joke's on me, as I realize I've already planned away all space for non-room things.

With a bit of thought, my current - neat - siege graveyards are not sustainable. Even entire z-level graves (outside of volcano cutaway) cut back to just 1 piece of corpse, is likely to run out. About 1300 squares per z, but...Only 27z, of which 18 are taken by various types of underground caverns or aquifer, and 17,5k in nearest  goblin site and somewhere around 8k, I guess, in the 80 towers in range. And that's without starting war with elves and humans.

However, it'll likely take about two decades before I'm ready to make the pipe. So I guess I can make temporary holdings in it after all.

• • •
*Zombies are being killed, please wait warmly*
• • •
In the end, I lost a doggo, visitors acted as meat shields, and recruit, armless and husbando spearman got injured, with latter losing an arm.

||
That they  got treated over a casket is serendipity.
Though that can't be sanitary! There's plenty of beds...but I suppose they're not free for hospital.

And I notice the husbando needs a crutch. Denied! He can serve as wool diagnosis dummy-mummy - oh, he already got up anyway.

Temp pastebin link for now

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 09:26:38 am »

Coming back, I look around, and....

||

It is 1395 winter start.

||

Wtf?

...In any case, I put some orders in to satisfy the craft needs of military, since I temporarily unactivated them.

||

Weirdly, some of my pre-designated bridges fail for some reason. Typically, that means the object got moved, but...No idea what could have moved them?

I also decide to accept  five mostly-goblin performance troupe. To remove them from the list, and as a potential experiment - one of the goblins is, namely, a single parent. Iirc those could get married?

Though I am not sure what kind of goblin would be ideal, anyway, beyond being married or noble. A miner/mason/mechanic, to convert mining trenches underground into materials? Not sure goblin babies would be even particularly useful, given their ideal status as immortal walking/hauling class and being unsuited for military, expect maybe as ivory tower champion.

At the very least, they'll not count towards moods. And, oh hey, all green stats on the parent. But no children? Aw.

Anyway, I tell them to idle in the tavern. Their needs seem to be based on eloquent and traditional human civ; easier to handle than dwarves expect for their desire for their favourite drink or food.

...I realize that when I last made tileset raw changes, I forgot to port them into my current save. *facepalm*

This results in me getting sidetracked in flurry of appearance changes via splitting tileset, backporting twbt and adding features to it. Link to be added later, once I manage to add unit transparency. While I got tired of it most of the way through, the embark looks bit different now:

||

||

...Well, that took a while. I decide I should deal with the magma generation. 3 plat minecarts are needed in final version, and 3 plat minecarts I shall use to haul magma up:

||

||

Later, I get weird message:

||

Zoom in place, the minecart sits there.
Must have been left in wooden wheelbarrow and burned. Not an error I expected.

On relooking things I find cavaclade of errors. For example, I realize

||

isn't necessary - the NW diagonal will provide drainage. After digging it out, I realize further:

||

Should have replaced all tiles with upstairs. Now I'm going to have to obsidian-cast when I get rid of the tile.

Or accidential designation of tea wood wall when i needed guava. Oops.

Or, well.

||

emptying wheelbarrows and accidentally corpses.

I notice olm and cave swallow remains in my hidden trapping tunnels:

||

Probably means I could catch cave fish in artificial pond here.

Armless keeps giving me more problems:

||

No mugs or room, then. Tbh, he's so worthless it might be better to tell him to stand under a bridge, so that everyone else may have mugs. If this was .44, I'd send him on a raid.

...Oh ¤#"!

||

No reports, he's gone missing...

Bookkeeper knows everything, the corpse is

||

..in an ice wall. Shouldn't ice-cast where dwarves walk. I thought this might happen, but then thought "eh, it's probably fine, dwarves shouldn't walk there anyway". More the fool.

He was my best armorer, too.

Now, to plan the funeral. I think I'll be storing him nearby, inside an ice mausoleum.

...But while looking at nearby pile, I grow annoyed at bug 6074 and implement fix/wheelbarrow-stuckinside, along with adding fix/patchchain from earlier.

Furthermore, while looking at two tiles north-northeast, I discover a weird bug where one of my smoother smoothes the up/down stairway into a floor, thus erasing it. d-xing or changing marked or removing priority doesn't remove the job, but it appears interrupting the task with do now does get rid of it. Weird bug - dug second stairway to the side just in case.

Also remember to make my manager conditioned orders 1-time only. Almost did the "excess lignite slab" thing again.

As final error sunlit error to correct, I also undo my earlier 10-step ice freeze, because I have built grates and hatches over water there. It could be useful, but not now.

/-/-/-/-/

Far below:

||

I realize my gremlin trap's hatch may  be targeted by building destroyers, and add a bridge to be triggered by standing on the location. Won't work with fbs, though.

||

...I am too late, though. And discover that the door is not safe - the ogre can stand on stair to destroy it!

Shame, I wanted to - oh they'll go away when I forbid the door. Unexpected.

Testing three different designs, I find they keep consistently targetting the door, no matter how I do the n-bend. That's despite another n-bend with floodgate working in this same fortress, or me using n-bend with doors to trap titan in Bloodyhells.

Confused, but I understand enough that I need to change it. For now, warning statue.

In any case, I notice they don't head towards cage traps easily. I'm not sure I'll need multiple ogres, and cave crocs, spiders and amethyst men are singular, so...

||

I designate setup for a bait statue. Reusable, unobstructive, and when deconstructed pops right down on stockpile and thus won't be hauled off.

Though I catch an ogre before that:

||

And I notice an odd thing when testing that: The gremlin trap sealing bridge - ogres will trigger it, seal off the hatch, walk away, and when the bridge lowers again in 20 steps, they'll turn right around, going again towards the hatch, sealing it off by stepping on plate, walking away...

It doesn't work with one ogre.

||

It seems gorlak wanders in too. The pressure plate redirection seems quite effective.

||

I should add a redirect on entering fort. || Drat, an infection - they won't go into hospital.

||
Pump backwashes!

I've discovered that locking my dwarves into the aquifer breach is ineffective; they'll get wet and just climb out.

||

And away~

Well, autounsuspend won't work for doors, so created UnsuspendSelectedBuilding.lua, for same purpose with a single building (in the spirit of prioritizelast).

For dealing with massive corpse haul, I just lock people next to it, to dump and store in cart:

||

In doing so, I discover three things.

1. The minecart gets full
2. On a retry, to avoid a mood, when I add a second minecart I find that it only starts getting filled when the first one can take no more.
3. Refuse needs to be enabled on the stockpile for dwarves to store things from it - this obviously proves ill for keeping armor.

Different from dump zones, there. Don't really see a good use, though.

There are many things possible to setup, and setup for the sake of getting a mood through repeated waiting. But on one of these cases, I get an odd message:

||

||

Probe gives temp 10006, just above freezing. Temps of items range from 2°C to 97°C for items in loom (*looks askew at suddenly hot bituminous coal memorial*). What gives? Is this related to those tin cages I set to melt, with the melted animal inside tracking to their old position? Why now, and not one of those other times? Could this be weaponized?

1395-11-10

||

And so, as I planned, a dwarf goes to become a bonecrafter.
Liking armor stands and just bones, he's not exactly my favourite...But he'll have to do.

||

With just a single mood item, it's not much to look at.

||
The image itself is named The Liberty of Steel

Still, the codex is not Rainfall And Rivers And Beyond inside the fortress.
Therefore, I have a mission (in .44?) to retrieve the splendid prose.
Author is ...an unknown creature, written 7 centuries ago.
Original is in Granitesilvers, the one library of the world.
Again I bemoan embarking as wrong civ.
Ah well, maybe with adventurer.

Reading legends further, I discover the towers of Ener will war with each other - one conquered a goblin pit, then another attacked it with dwarves. Seems because they have the original parent civilization of the civ Ener was in at the time of building the tower.

...Meanwhile, Etur Inolavuz, Longsword lover and manager, decided for some reason to step outside the stairwell into air and fall down.

I must admit, I'm unsure why they would do that. Suspicious blue peahen pet is nearby. Maybe the old bird-dwarf swapping bug?

Or maybe I have just too many people ice brigading:

||

Still, while the freezing weather may not pass, the winter does.

||

The cleanup is mostly finished, so...Time to come inside, before dead cold spring winds of war make me trade wood for more caskets. It is the evening of year 1395.

All scripts in this post have been posted on wiki: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames#Scripts

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 06:18:25 pm »

I took the chance to export the state of world in 1396, at the momentous moment below.

The world has lost more lives than it gained - however, that's only really due goblins dipping by over three hundred. Humans are much better off, most of that in the world's metropolis, but less than its slice-of-all-humans implies.

The main forest retreat concentrated elves into it, rising in pop by about 11% in a year, even as elves in total lessened.

At least two sites - hamlet and hillocks - lost civ ownership without losing population. And 4 forest retreats lost all intelligent population, while keeping the link. I think these are the fault of towers laying sieges to other nearby sites. No sites got back up from either of those fates.

Most towers lost numbers - heavily so; some even lost all their zombies.
Maybe I overcomplicated the worldgen with Ener, then. No point in 80 towers if it takes 10 sieges for all to be gone.

However, some (Lengthghouls, Birdspot, Poisonwebs, Hatehatchets(a camp)) gained; in both live and dead population. I found no explanation.

Many dark pits gained new lord or new names for old lords. Pfft.

In one lair, a tiger died of old age. I'll see if anybody will move in, but....

I could find no sites which actully changed hands by civilized pops - despite many conquerings in legends. Something seems broken there?

(Though I did find that bunch of goblins took over a tomb in 725, and humans didn't care and kept on using it.)

Returning from legends, fresh eyes notice new things in clutter:   

||

Which spider web? I've done embark where I've waited till first caravans with all present, yet no webs. So, this...

||

Well, look at this, my first instance of phantom spider - though seems they've skittered off for now. I think I'm stuffing a cat into a cage.

Last siege, it was elven tower that brought the steel bows.  Now, a day passes, spring of 1396 siege comes. And I want more exotics and siegers, and am willing to attempt for it.

In doing so, I notice that sometimes wrens trample all the webs :s

Between them and the siege, I ultimately fail to harvest any :(

I further notice a particular warthog woman axeman as familiar face.
Despite theoretical 80 towers, seems I have quite limited possibilities, actually.

||

So, I try. This siege doesn't seem to any good, other than being in lower left corner...

||
A shot from some moments later

And pretty much everyone in fortress comments on it before three arrows are shot anyway ._.¿
||
Calm down you psychic psycho, you're vital and already down an arm.

Initial enemy runs fast to ....stab bait Turkey?

Full moon right now or no, that's...missing the point a bit.

||

Much better.
On a side note, I think I figured out how to cage the live leaders of undead sieges for making a siege zoo.

||

When I unlocked the doors, meatshield troupe took a while to trickle in, as if they had [MEANDERER], while my dwarves got to safety right away. Maybe useful one day.

||

Well, this will go nicely with the steel bows. Could be anyone, but seems...

||

...this is elven. *kills 7 corpses; pick and sword dominate*

||

Not quite what I meant, but this is fine as well.
Especially as I saw them attack the elf in their troupe before I opened the door.
Dangerous sort, these.

And now...

||

This is not karma, but it is grimly satisfying.

*more goblins corpses appear*

||

FUCK YES.

Hold on, blinking...

Oh NO?!

||

Despair or rejoice, îton Bekaravuz!
First you gave one hand for the sake of defending Zarethineth Atzul, the Desert-City of Glades.

Then you gave other hand.

And finally, you had no more to give.

I may have disliked it a bit that you forced me to forbid all mugs...

But? By being marked on the longsword, you'll be recorded in the annals of regionButterFlies forever. Every time one draws it, one sees that the first kill on it was you, slain by Pungentcircled, Goblin swordsman corpse. On his first attack against anyone ever, too.

Now, steel-wielding elven siege versus dwarves with bone, leather and wood....Reverse day, much?

Ah, but this is truly glorious. Ungentlenotelves, you have my gratitude and attention.
I shall record you on the blades of Zarethineth Atzul for eternity.

On this momentous occassion, I shall make a new dwarf fortress map archive entry₁. First one that uses twbt multilevel, I believe.

Now...I shall retroactively give you people more attention....

||

...Seems your best weapon was brought low on literally the next attack.

||
Or high. Hope it doesn't land in the trees and reanimate.

||

Well, mine could be little more discerning where they strike however.

||

Learn from their example! Two strikes, removing all capability to defend oneself, in simple combo. These corpses are Kisat Dur champions compared to these clowns!

||

Wonderful skill advantage, though.

||

I mean, seriously. Imagine being so skilled with a sword you can cut off a foot with the flat part. What a legend.

||

...Hm, I notice bolts get overriden on windmills. Gotta bugfix, I guess - windmill doesn't even use that tile by default.

||

The shooters themselves hung back the entire time, despite having hammer and sword. Good discipline!

||

Well, that's that for siege by The Cobalt Fells. Dead list grew by 23, including goblin poet, elf and Iton Bekaravuz, and another siege lies slain. I may have raised the caps, but they didn't increase their numbers.

..I'm a bit concerned that the troupe I accepted before, and the troupe I would now deny both bear ties to Wickedness of Gold, looking with view-allegiance - we shall be at war.

No injuries other than Bekaravuz...Even if my expedition leader complains about experiencing trauma. I think that was emotional trauma, I guess?

||

...Wait, nevermind - my dudes were sitting on map edge and blocking two corpses. Also maybe why a hammerman didn't left martial trance?

||

...Seriously?

That's really lucky. What's that, one in fifteen odds?

Thanks for handing me a second "impossible" sword. I love it.

I also take advantage of my newly-born wild horse foal.

||

Hope this one doesn't die. The dwarf, I mean.

||

Here we go.

I welcome elves.

Well.

||

I see elven trading caravan.

Even with forbidding logs 1 step before they enter the map, no logs....

Disappointing.

Trying again, they only disappoint me again.

They do realize I'm going to cut trees now?

So, divine instruments, buckets, cages, fruits.
Some animals, though I should be able to capture everything worth capturing.
Still, ostrich, cheetah, shelled pet or rhino would be nice.

While doing so (eased by a warning script₂), I notice that the divine silk strings of nane are worth more separately than in an instrument. Curious, but I can only use the latter.

(Also, jeez, tame Giant Chameleons' are scary. Just 1 clutch will produce enough edibles to feed nearly 439 dwarves for half a year.)

Ultimately, I settle on a divine silk instruments and a giant ostrich as far as lightly notable stuff goes. Unsatisfying, but jockeying for breeding pair would be fairly time-consuming.

Also, interestingly, found the elves could get access to chinchilla - interesting for it is mountain-only. The main forest retreat does have few tiles in the world tile of a mountain, but none that overlap it regionally. Useful to know that that isn't required.

1: DFMA map for 1396

2: Mainly caravan/migrant helper: setwarning.lua.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:22:22 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 07:19:30 am »

Out in reality, months have passed, but not entirely without benefits:

||

||

||

||

I reworked twbt and graphics a fair bit, though I'd want more for a release.

||

Also bit more dwarfmonitor work, making item-age inline.

Nine months have passed, and I celebrate my first non-dwarven birth:

||

A bit of savescumming ensures they'll be big enough to mono-wield two-handed swords. The stats are pretty average. But the baby's personality...

Spoiler: Geshud Ethedzefon (click to show/hide)

Maximum rage and maximum shyness, when most cloth is going to be dwarven-sized. Unfriendly and driven to revenge.

I've seen grudges escalate to murder among family; what's going to happen if I hand a cyan blade to Geshud.

On the other hand, I pondered creating a berserk husked werebeast as a superweapon. Geshud may very well be "it".

I don't bother for dwarven babies, though.

||

I come to the conclusion that  sometimes, I don't want to catch a cavern critter suitable for the traps.

||

Because of that scenario, I decide to include a statue in the 3-way cross area and keep the default catchments off. No point in wasting a fb trap on mere troll.

||

Whom I see often enough.

I planned to train climbing fort-wide with my swim training setup. 120 exp isn't much, but it is something.

However, I've discovered a better option:

||

When testing asphyxation training, I found it massively boosts toughness and endurance - by about 550 points a month, compared to mere six and half to strength.

Sure, climbing is more unique. But pretty much everyone I have could use extra endurance or toughness.

||

Especially when they get interrupted by gray langurs.

On an test fortress, I discovered that trapping creepy crawlers is actually pretty quick food boost. Now, I don't have any reason to trap those right now, but...

||

This novel-to-me message does give another reason to use a trapper (but they seem fine).

Phantom spiders still haven't come back, though.

I try to spend up new caravan entrance by ponding aggressively. Bit too aggresively.

||

Loses me a soil floor, but thankfully no real losses - would have been worse just 1 tile south, though...It's good that there's no cavein dust when ice caves in.

Built a pump to support the minecarts for aquifer draining.

||

Not quite enough drainage, but I finally retrived two alabaster stones:

||

(Bottommost is fire clay on top).

Now I can finally lay one of the starting seven to rest.

But first, a swim course with all the migants!

||
||
||

Hold on, nevermind. I totally want an ‼artifact weapon trap‼ for the zombies. With bit of forbidding tricks learned from ⛭Another⛭'s planepacking save in 43.05:

||

I'd have wanted to use ice -  burning ice would be nice....But no. Strange mood doesn't accept it.

||

I knew they liked them. But to feel wonder at a chicken?

Stasost Claspdemons, Goblin Poet must have lived quite different live in dark pits. Only trolls and beak dogs, a chicken might be like a mythical creature.

After a chat, the human family sleeps together:

||

But I suspect No Job is required for pregnancy, and I grant this.

||

Since I released the burrow, few people stuck around in the two-tile tavern:

||

Now, As Asodidde doesn't make much friends here. But the wife, despite disliking friendship....

||

"Small taverns work" says the wife.

"Not for me" counters husband.

Long ago, I remember Roomcarnage. Great story, lots of undead, many ghosts...

...ghosts who opened vital doors, causing much fun....

||

It's about time I dealt with other starting seven floating around.g

||

||

Since I have central pump anyway, I add a bridge to open/close water to it, so the water pushing around might work for me.

||

You know, I was planning on just getting more kimberlite here, but...

||
You have struck red pyrope!

This is good too *digv. Replacing wall here with gem window, and...

||

Since I'm doing that, going to use non-accelerating ramp as well for movement.

But it is the last day of spring. Tomorrow, siege!

||
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4