Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Kids  (Read 1615 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Adventurer Kids
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:04:00 am »

So i started a thread about the half-breeds i had made in fortress mode in the fort mode forums. I was thinking how can i play as one of them in adventure mode?
Because i tried using the mode switching command but that didn't work. Also should i play as the boy or girl?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Kids
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »

Perhaps you could load up an adventurer, journey to your fort and body-swap?
Males generally are stronger than females in DF, so if your intention is combat you should take control of the boy.
Also, what specifically didn't work with mode switching? The DFHack docs say that to take control of a creature in fort mode you need to switch to arena mode, use "Assume control of a creature" and then switch to adventure mode. This will make you lose your fort though and so you should make a backup before you do this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:07:15 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:19 am »

Males generally are stronger than females in DF, so if your intention is combat you should take control of the boy.
For the vast majority of sapient species in DF the only difference between sexes is that males can be gelded.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:14:59 am »

You can't geld a sentient being whats wrong with you? D:
I believe both male and female can receive gelding blows from crushing strikes to the lower body. The only true difference is the baby appears on the female for mamallians, and females ovarian lay eggs. In fortress mode they are the ones taking care of the baby until he becomes a child.

Else the difference is purely aesthetic. Tho Id vote for the boy to make a classic heroic fairy tale story

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:33:30 am »

Don't forget facial hair!
DF discriminates against female sapients by denying them luscious beards.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:55:48 am »

That's just dwarves tho, DF makes no mention of facial hairs for humans, goblins or elves. Which I think should be changed by the way :U

(Also add breast size and shape for females so they dont feel left out)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:48:41 am »

Ah, no. That's not quite right.
Humans can grow beards just fine, but human civs don't allow it. Start a human in a dwarf civ and they go full on dwarf-style.

The unfortunate opposite is also true of course. Dwarves joining human civs shave off their beards in disgrace.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:54 am »

Else the difference is purely aesthetic. Tho Id vote for the boy to make a classic heroic fairy tale story
Only he would be able to. The rest of us adventurers are orphans, so we can only be sociopathic heroes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 02:46:33 pm »

Oh. I got that from the wiki, which says in the "Adventure mode quick start" page:

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Wiki
Gender can make a difference in gameplay. Males of mammalian species have a higher average mass, which adds to base blood capacity, the effectiveness of and resistance to charge attacks, and the ability to break wrestling holds.

Maybe that is only true in earlier versions of DF and this passage is a holdover from older versions of the wiki?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:58 pm »

I check for size of my people in my fort for... well unrelated reasons. I can tell, it reserves surprizes. For instances, "small" creatures like elves and dwarves are not especially smaller than human. A tiny biton average, but a large goblin will be way taller than a small human.
I can see no difference between men and women (humans). Both have small and HUGE varieties (I have two of them, a man and a woman incidently, whose size is twice the size of a normal human). It depends on genetic, not gender.