Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.  (Read 27469 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:02 pm »

I also looked at the source code, so far I have only one nit: the wind scale is spelled Beaufort not Beufort.
Haha, thanks. You will see a lot of other nonsense in variable names, and especially in comments, I was quite careless for grammatics in my code.

Reminds me of this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »

Reminds me of this:

Yeah, hehe. Reminds me of what my college buddy always told me whenever we worked on shared coding projects.

But I got to improve. Who knows, if the project live long enough, people might get interested to contribute, so it's better to make life easier for them.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 09:20:54 am »

Reminds me of this:

Yeah, hehe. Reminds me of what my college buddy always told me whenever we worked on shared coding projects.

But I got to improve. Who knows, if the project live long enough, people might get interested to contribute, so it's better to make life easier for them.

I'd definitely be interested in contributing when it gets improved a bit. More scenarios, more ships?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 02:32:58 pm »

Sea Wolves 0.05, the first game version with the world generation module is ready!

Although you can only generate the world (with some degree of parameters customization) and stare at it, no new gameplay at all. And there are no any signs of human beings yet.

Source: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B62_kA9GGg0LQ0pjMEJaNkp2SmM
Binary: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B62_kA9GGg0LSFlueEFnWXJ6OUU

I have discussed a few posts above what was done; since then there is only one change, the naming mechanism for islands. It is not very smart, and its dictionaries are still scarce and require further revision and filling. But at least I made sure that all names it gives are unique. Sometimes islands are named according to the most common biome (e.g. "The Island of Bright Sands" or "The Island of Red Woods"), sometimes according to one of the island's resources (like "The Island of Iron Hills"), and sometimes it gives a "neutral" name, randomly drawing adjective and nouns from two lists (among those names are such masterpieces as "The Island of Yellow Thoughts", "The Island of Ethereal Music" and my favorite "The Island of Unseen Sights"). If it fails to find a name (e.g., run out of unique names), it gives a numerical one. This rarely happens for the standard world generations parameters, but if you tune things to have a huge number of islands, you would see a lot of names like "The 421st Island".

Apart from that, I also added one new config parameter (you can choose graphics file, to control tiles size; options are from 8x8 to 20x20 pixels per tile).

I'd definitely be interested in contributing when it gets improved a bit. More scenarios, more ships?

Yeah, that's good future directions for sure. Addining more ships at the current stage of development is a bit premature though. I hope to change later primitive 2-hp-bars damage model to a more DF-like mechanics, where ship has masts, sail and hull segments, decks etc. They would take damage separately in the battle, and the ship characteristics would be determined by characteristics of its components, their quality, material, damage level. So, just adding more ships definitions now can turn out to be a waste of time.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:36:10 pm by hun »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 05:03:45 pm »

Forgot to download this and give it a try for a week. Sorry!

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 11:00:57 am »

That's fine. It seems that I gonna have little time to work on project next couple of months, so take your time.
But still, your feedback, as anyone's else, is highly appreciated.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 11:50:55 am »

There admittedly isn't a lot to say on this one... the only thing I have to say is that it's odd that mountains don't give ore. I think that would be cool if there is room for metals.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:54 pm »

There admittedly isn't a lot to say on this one... the only thing I have to say is that it's odd that mountains don't give ore. I think that would be cool if there is room for metals.

They typically do, this is just a bit random. But if the mountain range is large enough, you are almost guaranteed to have ores.
For example, this is one random island with mountains:
They have silver, gold and copper ores (and lots of precious gems, also have high chance to find in mountains). They would have to import tin to make bronze though, and/or iron (other islands with mountains are likely to have some).
It is just rare to see mountains with all kind of ores.

PS. Of course, I'm speaking of standard settings, if you changed them, it all may be completely different.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:14:34 pm by hun »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »

They typically do, this is just a bit random. But if the mountain range is large enough, you are almost guaranteed to have ores.
For example, this is one random island with mountains:
They have silver, gold and copper ores (and lots of precious gems, also have high chance to find in mountains). They would have to import tin to make bronze though, and/or iron (other islands with mountains are likely to have some).
It is just rare to see mountains with all kind of ores.

PS. Of course, I'm speaking of standard settings, if you changed them, it all may be completely different.

I did standard settings and didn't get a single ore spot. Presumably I simply got unlucky, because I didn't do it more than once.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 01:51:59 pm »

I did standard settings and didn't get a single ore spot. Presumably I simply got unlucky, because I didn't do it more than once.

Yes, must be that...
I have plans to add a world rejection procedure later to check for this kind of things. Metals are going to play an important role for sure.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 01:45:01 pm »

Any news to share?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:25 pm »

Not really, I was buried under personal matters last few months.

Recently I looked at my old notes, I have some rough ideas on civilization generation and trade, but there still a lot to think through.
Hopefully I gonna have some time within next couple of months to start implementing this aspect.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:16 am »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 03:26:16 pm »

Not really, I was buried under personal matters last few months.

Recently I looked at my old notes, I have some rough ideas on civilization generation and trade, but there still a lot to think through.
Hopefully I gonna have some time within next couple of months to start implementing this aspect.

Hmm... civilizations?

Here's an idea, you can choose as you play whether you want to be a good guy who chases off pirates, or be a pirate yourself and raid civilizations.

Just a thought.

Also, welcome back! This game is cool and I can't wait to see it expanded upon.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:21 pm »

Hmm... civilizations?

Here's an idea, you can choose as you play whether you want to be a good guy who chases off pirates, or be a pirate yourself and raid civilizations.

Just a thought.

Also, welcome back! This game is cool and I can't wait to see it expanded upon.

That's exactly the plan, except there is another role, the most important: merchant. Player can choose trading between ports as his first-priority activity. Pirates are raiding trade routs (which I am also going to create explicitly), and this is another option for a player as well (with some obvious drawbacks). Or the player can be a mercenary that raids pirate ships and bases and protects other traders. Later I may add conflicts between civilizations, with full-scale naval warfare campaigns.

Producing, consuming and trading of all goods (derived from already existing resources) - this is the core of civilizations system, and what I am going to work on next. Later on that I will build prices and trade routes between civilizations.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5