Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.  (Read 27483 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 01:01:13 am »

That's exactly the plan, except there is another role, the most important: merchant. Player can choose trading between ports as his first-priority activity. Pirates are raiding trade routs (which I am also going to create explicitly), and this is another option for a player as well (with some obvious drawbacks). Or the player can be a mercenary that raids pirate ships and bases and protects other traders. Later I may add conflicts between civilizations, with full-scale naval warfare campaigns.

Producing, consuming and trading of all goods (derived from already existing resources) - this is the core of civilizations system, and what I am going to work on next. Later on that I will build prices and trade routes between civilizations.

Sounds like you have big plans. I like that :D

I like all of what I just read, I can't wait to see where this game goes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 10:35:40 pm »

Looks very interesting (and beautiful curses graphics.) I'm a Python hobbyist, so interested on that count as well.

EDIT: My copy (the Windows binary) starts up with:

Code: [Select]
OMP: Warning #178: Function GetModuleHandleEx failed:
OMP: System error #126: The specified module could not be found.

But then the game window itself loads and works fine. Apparently it got around that somehow.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:44:16 pm by Eschar »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »

Looks very interesting (and beautiful curses graphics.) I'm a Python hobbyist, so interested on that count as well.

EDIT: My copy (the Windows binary) starts up with:

Code: [Select]
OMP: Warning #178: Function GetModuleHandleEx failed:
OMP: System error #126: The specified module could not be found.

But then the game window itself loads and works fine. Apparently it got around that somehow.

Yeah I also have the same strings in binary. Since it doesn't seem to affect the game in any sense, I just ignored it. It is likely some artifact that py2exe brings, but I was too lazy to dig deeper.

If anyone knows by chance, what it can be and how to fix, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:07:51 pm by hun »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

Eschar gestures! The thread shudders and begins to move!

Any more on the project?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2019, 05:21:47 pm »

Finally found time and motivation to continue coding last a couple of weeks!

Not too much to be proud about though.

1) In the worldgen module - rivers and lakes! I was supposed to continue developing civilizations, but somehow got excited about idea of adding freshwater for a nicer-looking islands. It is not dead effort anyway - I hope that eventually rivers might play quite significant role in the gameplay - trading trough rivers were historically very important! Rivers and lakes also spread moisture and can potentially shift biomes around them, making islands with freshwater more diversified and attractive for civilizations. I also reworked some of the old worldgen code, most notably for the elevations map.
2) Interface changes in both modes. I totally removed mouse support (it was almost non-existent anyway), updated help, changed some of the key-bindings.
3) Some minor bug fixes.

Now the plan is to work hard on civilizations! They must develop, consume resources, gather resources, build new villages, trade -- I want to build quite deeply-simulated economics.

Spoiler: Rivers! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And lakes! (click to show/hide)

PS. Funny, almost exactly a year since the last my post... Hope it is a good sign, and such long break periods will never occur in future!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:24:09 pm by hun »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2019, 12:29:50 pm »

The boarding has me really interested, it's simple but it already has more depth than any boarding in games I can think of.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 06:34:08 am »

Looks really neat and unique. Keep it going :)
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:59 am »

Looks neat, looking forward to see this grow.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:44 pm »

Booooooats!!!

A_dude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 01:02:27 pm »

You said you wanted some input for those on Linux.  I recorded my attempts to get the game to work (without using Wine), as follows:

• Installed Casey Duncan's noise library
  • Errors in libtcod.so - Installed libtcod-devand libtcod0 (on Debian).
  • Still getting errors - no ./libtcod.so (relative path).  This is from the libtcodpy.py file referencing the .so file, not because of SeaWolves.
  • Created Symbolic link from the libtcod.so global file in local directory.
  • Get Segmentation fault.  Probably a library number mis-match.  Investigating.
  • The libtcodpy.py version shipped with SeaWolves is 1.5.1, whereas the latest version of tcod is 1.7.0.  Updating SeaWolves version to 1.7.0
  • Looking into libtcodpy.py use, we see that it is deprecated.  The latest version of libtcodpy.py I could find is 1.6 in an unofficial repo.  The recommended python libtcod package is python-tcod.  See https://python-tcod.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html
  • Installing python-tcod using command: `python3 -m pip install --user tcod`
  • Updated all environs to python3
  • Fixed cPickle imports to just pickle (Python3 change)
  • Changed print commands to print functions
  • Re-installed Casey Duncan's noise library (for Python3)
  • Got issues with console_put_char_ex(...) function: "TypeError: initializer for ctype 'struct TCOD_ColorRGB' must be a list or tuple or dict or struct-cdata, not int".  It appears this has to do with:
    File "./SeaWolves004py/binstance.py", line 3841, in add_frame_to_panel
        libtcod.console_put_char_ex(panel, 0, 0, libtcod.CHAR_DNW, color, libtcod.BKGND_NONE)

The color needs to be a tuple, which it appears to be.  I don't know if this is because of a SeaWolves call or a python-tcod call.  Note:  It uses the internal definition of what a color is.  Maybe this changed from 1.5.1 to 1.7.0?

This is as far as I could get today.  Between the changes and expectations that this is Python3 for the new python-tcod library, the 1.5.1 vs. 1.7.0 versions of libtcod, I'm not sure what other changes need to be made to be compatible with Python3 (again, the recommended version going forward.  Python2 EOL is 2020).

Conclusions
On Linux, try to run on WINE.  The older libtcod.so version is hard to find, and the change from Python2 to Python3, while future proofing the project a little bit, is outside of the scope of just trying to get it to work.  This is more a change OP needs to make if they wish.[/list]

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »

I'm glad to see you're still working on this.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:36 am »

One day I will try this because I wanna board some dang ships

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2019, 06:13:00 am »

Do you use any editors? When I downloaded python it gave me some crappy command-line thing where you can "code" python.

Edit:Also I can't download the game on google drive because I'm in China. Can you think of some way to solve it, like post on a different sharing website? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:20:04 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2019, 01:18:45 pm »

It’s called IDLE and it’s in fact an editor, not just a command line. Press Ctrl+N to create a new code window. Ctrl+S to save, etc.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2019, 08:02:14 pm »

This game is AWESOME! I tried out the 'Random Archipelago' and my ship, the Lion, was immediately set upon by 4 enemy ships: 3 caravels and a cogg. I managed to board the cogg but my boarding party of 50 wasn't enough and was wiped out. I sent in a second wave and killed the rest of them though. I then spent several hours dancing around the 3 caravels as my sails were shredded, at which point we were boarded. Outnumbered 2 to 1, the crew fought valiantly but soon enough we were all dead.

I am really looking forward to seeing this game progress!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5