Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.  (Read 27474 times)

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2019, 04:47:48 am »

This game looks very intriguing. I love sailing and pirate-esque games. I'll be watching where this goes :)

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:11 am »

A_dude, thank you for testing and the detailed report. Yeah, basically, I need to port this to Python3 and the latest libtcod, if I ever plan to continue development. I more or less realized that by now.

Butterfly, that's kind of stories that I wanted my game to create! I am really glad to see that you actually experienced it.

With respect to the current status of the project:
1) In recent months I had a severe lack of time, all kinds of distractions, and lack of motivation.
2) I think I grabbed more than I can swallow, with all that world generation and global trading. It is too much. I like the rather detailed battle mechanics I developed for the game so far, and I just need to keep improving it. I have a bunch of ideas about that.
I need to remove worlgen and all plans for global trading. I can work on them later as separate projects, I still love these ideas. But Sea Wolves should look like a battle campaign, the chain of battles, where you can upgrade your ship in-between the battles, refill the crew, sell all the captured cargo and ships, spend XP on some perks and abilities. Then you choose your next mission and go fighting again! There is still a possibility of the simplistic global map but is should be stylized and not shadow the fighting mechanics.

I hope that soon I will have some time to actually proceed with that plan!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2019, 12:46:27 am »

Perhaps you could implement the simple map as a map with different ports, the different ports being where you can upgrade and repair and do all the between-battle stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]