Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"  (Read 8234 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People II : 1922 "The art of Boxes"
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2017, 03:11:49 pm »

The machinegun is because minor strafing runs ARE a thing, and because if the enemy turns out to have some form of armed aircraft it won't hurt to be prepared
We are talking about a very crude biplane here. The cost of installing machineguns is huge comparing to a very tiny benefit.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2017, 04:42:52 pm »

Technically you can add heavy steel plates to the prop instead of using an interruptor gear.
That leads to lower performance, heavy wear and tear, and less bullets reaching the enemy though.

But it did work for a while before interruptor was invented.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:32 am »

Is it more work to replace it than to try to fix the horrific mess? At the state where the Mule is, I am of the view where fixing it is actually more work.
This is actually a very good point.
To look at it more math-y, we know that the difficulty of the FAT is about -7. We know that flaws are fixed either by crits or by two successes per flaw. The Mule has four flaws, and we'd therefore need eight successes more than simply designing the FAT. Since all of our revision programs had a difficulty of at least -1, it will be more efficient to discard the Mule. However, I believe it is better to treat the FAT as a large project.

9.1: In addition, cargo can be transported in the generously-sized cargo area (which seats the weapon crew when towing a gun) or in a trailer. Large Project.

As for another medium project, how about an upgraded and up-rated 40mm cannon?
15: AC-23 "Flute"
The AC-23 shares the 40mm calibre with our already-existing 40mm autocannon, but not much more. It increases the muzzle velocity by using a longer barrel of 40 calibres and replaces the open-hopper feed system with a belt-fed system. The latter also solves the elevation issue. It is planned to be used as a defense against (and possibly for) torpedo boats and to defend against enemy planes. If successful, it should easily replace the 40mm cannons on our ships.

This changes my vote to 2.2 (M23 SMG), 6 (M23 Grenade), M23 75mm mortar, 15 (AC-23 40mm gun). 9.1 (FAT-23)

Trait vote remains at Cheap, Camouflaged, Comm Network, and Well-Supplied for the bunker and cheap for the cannon.

Lastly, before I think about a production proposals, can we assign PPs or only whole production lines?

Spoiler: proposal tracker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Votes for Traits (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:32 am »

I don't see why you can't just assigns some PPs. It would be kind of awkward right now, because there is not enough proposals to fill out the production, but if it were something obvious, like assigning a load from a single factory, especially if you put it as replacing a specific other item that could be built in such a factory... Well, it could probably just act as a universal patch to any production plan that was outvoted but more complete...

But the G.M. is free to just dump anything that isn't compatible with the vote winner if they feel like it, I mean, G.M. prerogative and all that, so... But hey, I am sure that i must have submitted something illegal at some point or other so why not just throw in your lot and try your luck. eh? eh?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:03 am »

Do all the flaws need to be fixed? A truck with one or two flaws is still a functional usable truck.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:04 am »

I have very little idea of what's going on here plan wise and would love a recap.

Voted for Cheap, ComNet, Rapid Construction, and Well Supplied for the bunker.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2017, 10:30:04 am »

I have very little idea of what's going on here plan wise and would love a recap.

Voted for cheap, well supplied, comm net, and casematte.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »

{lane? Plan? Ain't no plan here!
But mostly we are just trying to fill out all the roles. I really need to reread all the proposals now but, ehh, I am hesitant to get another mortar, for example, because we have heavy bombardment and light bombardment and now what we really need is something precise and elegant to fill out our big guns and "mortar" doesn't say that to me. We still need an armoured vehicle, an aeroplane, ideally a fighter and a bomber and a scout. We more-or-less have heavy ships but could use something more definitive. Ain't got no subs... Need close-range stuff and direct fire explosives/artillery... And the Mosin is a solid weapon, but there is a reason all these design games always take the most boring option and start with an assault rifle... Plus we could use some logistics, artillery movers, a truck that doesn't rattle apart, some armed transports to fill out and protect our merchant fleet/transport our military materials. And, of course, we could try for an aircraft carrier, rocket artillery, antitank infantry weapons, antitank guns, sniper rifles... Really, we just need to fill out all of our basic essentials and then we can start working on improving stuff and taking our research in specific direction...

RAM Vote! 1, 2.1, 3, 4, 5, α, β, A, 10, 13, 15, Lower Weight, Casematte, Artillery, Cheap, Rapid, Well-supplied
I removed the (requires 1) from my SMG. I want to do the round separately, but as a combined action still works as far as I know.
I also fixed the names of some designs. They somehow got changed to M23, which was confusing. If we are going to be all identical about everything then we may as well just omit it entirely.

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2017, 05:36:19 pm »

For the actual basics, I'd say: Sniper rifle, fixed truck, armored cars (To replace our nonexistent cavalry), semiauto battle rifle, infantry-portable MG (Revise the present one!), and a proper battleship (For this is an Arms Race, sort of, and naval arms races are the most famous)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2017, 06:11:38 pm »

Well, the "M23"s are just part of the name, just denoting the year. So, the Pandora's debt would still be called the Pandora's debt, or the M23 Pandora's Debt SMG, or the M23 SMG, or whatever.

Currently, our only mortar is a short, short range weapon(its IRL counterpart had a range of about 600 yards), so we do need something to fill the gap between platoon level(where the M21 mortar would be positioned) and battalion level tube arty.
 I agree for the need for armored vehicles(I suggest buying some first, for an example of what can be done), likewise development of some form of fighter. Scouts are somewhat covered, although they are simple tethered designs and we likley will want to upgrade them at some point. Bombers are of a lower priority, in my view.
 We do require some form of assault weaponry, be it shotguns, grenade launchers, SMGs, or all of the above. Logistics, artillery tractors and trucks can be handled as one design. Snipers can be done simply by taking our rifle and dumping an optic on it, and eventually replacing it with something fed with a box magazine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]