Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 17519 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (3rd Round: Space Nomads)
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:30 am »

Yeah genetic modified spider silk is being used as kelvar option in today's world.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:38 am »

Regarding biotech... eh. Again, we don't have the resources for development of such things. We are spaceborne which does mean we do need to live within those constraints. And nanotech is... well, to be honest pretty boring.

And shapeshifting ships is a pretty bad idea to be honest. And relying on external power sources is a bad idea given the variable output of such generation schemes.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:07 am »

You do realize we can always find a planets for quick resource fixes because if your saying we spend our entire lives on the ships, that is ascrazy he n the spaced catergory as anything else. And nanotech being boring? Yes if just microwave bots. These are germ/machine cyborg hybrids who use science to make it work. I mean the nano germs could be a substitute for fire starting psinics (looking at you parasite eve.)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:01 am »

Asteroids would be better for quick resource fixes. Either way, we still need those materials for something far more important: Ships. Those materials would almost certainly have to be devoted to keeping them in good shape.

And microwave bots are the more interesting form; the stuff that's basically used as justification for magic or whatnot is the boring shit :V

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:31 am »

Or you could stop choosing to ignore that A. We choose our starting conditions (And have) and one of them is a large colony ship presumably holding large varieties of animals and plants. And if it's not, well, Retcon #1 just showed up.

B. We don't NEED resources for the development of such things, because one or more of our races (Opinions? I'm thinking that our nation originally came from a system shared by the sauroids and the humans) has already developed the biotechnology that we plan to use...or plan to start from.

Darnit, Taricus, we aren't constrained unless we are forced to be by the GM or choose to be. I want to have a large (Done) partially-planetary-simulation-styled (Maybe?) ship holding a nation, wandering through space and with differing departments getting in trouble with lots of unpleasant other peoples and nations.

We are not magically confined in our crappy low-fiction box in space which cannot support plantlife because Taricus thinks that biotech (A real possibility, in fact) is not logical. Thank you for your opinions, but please, have a factualish basis.

As for external power sources....Those aren't an option. At all. I have to agree with Taricus----if you're going interstellar, well, good luck relying on the energy output of the nearest stars. They might be a dozen lightyears away.

And please, no nanotech. That's going to get ludicrous.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:36 am »

Then no nano phange clouds or shape shifting ships. But organic stuff that can grow as newer materials and stick to the convientional stuff.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:12 am »

Forget it for now, guys.

The GM's going to have to chime in and decide what exactly we can and cannot have, because if we have true nanotech, even of biological origin, then we've suddenly reached a whole new level of insanity, and most of our plans are redundant.

Basically, we need to agree on a level of science fiction, assuming the GM doesn't have one in mind. I think it should be middle-of-the-road stuff. Relatively common FTL, very powerful power sources and not-entirely-Newtonian drive physics because !!science!!. I personally like railguns and projectile weapons, but heck, if you can have it be balanced there's not many weapon types you can't include.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:55 am »

We don't have the space for a partial planet simulation on a ship; we simply cannot afford the space to do so on a ship. And straight biotech isn't a possibility to use due to the resources it requires, not that it's impossible to develop. There's a difference between the two (And inorganic stuff using designed based on naturally occurring things isn't biotech AFAIK)

And we are a nation in space, just one that CANNOT afford to make a wrong move hence being effectively a dictatorship: One wrong move will annihilate us, compared to a planetary government which does have a fair bit of leeway regarding the damage to the planet. (And last time I checked, it's easier to blow up a ship or cause catastrophic damage to one than it is to do the same to a planet or it's ecosystem.

And any trouble we get into will be outsiders purely because of the last point; we don't have the ability to afford internal conflict like a planetary government does because it's a lot easier to end a hell of a lot of lives on a starship than it is planetside.

Weapons, I can agree with ballistics, slap on a side of directed energy since we'd have access to cold fusion power generation. And I'd say bugger newtonian physics for space travel because it's boring otherwise.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2017, 10:05:26 am »

My goodness, you're set on your opinion being how it works, aren't you?

You want us to have extremely limited resources and dictatorial government, and so we have them?

You're counting the eggs before you've even seen the chicken, Taricus. As far as I've seen, the vote is against dictatorship (Though I've not been counting, so maybe a bit of unintentional majority/agreement bias), so we won't have that. And we've got a gigantic colony ship and a fleet of other vessels besides. We've got room for a square kilometer of land or two. Or so I say.

But that's my opinion, and I don't know yet what we'll have.
I do however know that, unless a lot more people than you chime in, we'll have the resources necessary for biotech, because that's how the vote is going so far.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2017, 10:13:54 am »

Regarding external power sources: while they should certainly not be our only, main, or even secondary power source, I see no reason not to have the option to leech off solar power when the opportunity arises. It just means we can use our other fuels more efficiently.

Regarding scientific realism: I think it's more fun to be able to do some things that don't work with science (I want to make guns that turn what they shoot into solid steel for 24 hours...), but considering the power and flexibility of such stuff, it makes sense to limit that to points further ahead in the game, and start out like Madman suggested.

Regarding this feud: please stop. Taricus, everyone else that I've noticed so far would prefer flexibility. More resources and a republic for a government fits that better than having few resources and a military government.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2017, 10:23:39 am »

Name: Randiri
Population: 25% Human, 20% Draqon (think D&D dragonborns), 15% Tarn (previously space elves), 15% Jordt (previously space dwarves), 5% Madman's sauroids (please contribute a name), 20% other assorted races
~1 Mil
Government: Militaristic Republic: Captains act as representatives for their ships, while senators represent the population directly.
Relation: neutral, with a slight lean towards the Republic.

Character Creation
Name:
Race:
Department:
Role:
Skill:
Liability:

Department ideas:
The Randiri Skyjumpers:
The Skyjumpers were one of best regiments in the galaxy when it came to deep space and orbital operations, able to board enemy space craft to securing space stations. However, they lost a significant portion of their manpower in the events leading to the split. A shadow of their former selves, the Randiri Skyjumpers are eager to reclaim their former glory.

The Diplomatic Corps
When arriving in a new system, a slew of negotions,  bribes, and threats are needed to insure the safety of the fleet. The Diplomatic Corps are the ones to carry those out. From well spoken negotiators to the operatives that no one ever sees, the Corp forms a needed sword and shield of the Randiri people.

The Night Raiders
While everyone is free to take the next transport ship to leave the fleet, indivials who feel constricted by life in the fleet are often encouraged to join the Raiders. The Night Raiders often operate independently from the main fleet, often scouting ahead to gain information, and to acquire targets. In war they strike supply lines and disrupt shipping, keep the enemy looking over their shoulders. When not in a direct war, they often go after targets of opportunity, though they try to avoid attacking shipping of nations they are trying to form treaties with.

Skills:
Army Command: Giving orders, leading charges. Allies to squad level to army sized
Naval Command: Skill at leading task groups and fleets
Captainship: Skill at giving orders and directing a single ship
Piloting: Skill at flying fighter sized craft

Hand-to-hand: skill at melee combat
Light weapons: skill at using rifles, pistols and the like
Heavy weapons: skill at using heavy machine guns, plasma cannons, rocket launcher

Sneaking: skill at moving unnoticed.
Ambush: skill at launching ambushes
Hacking: bonus to hacking computer systems

Interior negotiation: Skill at navigating the politics of the Randiri fleet.
Exterior negotiation: Skill at arranging treaties with other nations.
Trade: skill to forming trade deals.

If you want to be a quartermaster or inventor, I'm not quite sure what skills you could get as I don't want to restrict you. But as you make actions and go down paths of research you can get bonuses as you get more experience.
Quartermasters are part of a department, while researchers I'm leaning towards being independent.
Also, while I have enjoyed the discussion, please do your best to remain civil. Resources are not unlimited, but more can be acquired without too much effort. This is not really hard sci-fi, but advanced technologies like organic ships will require a lot of research.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2017, 10:23:51 am »

Because if wanted a military dictator style thing, everyone would have had mercenaries, bounty hunters or that warrior clan. We did not. We branched into off to pick what we want to pick. Meaning the limit is the tk, not us.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:40 am »

Research and that's ok. I imagine it would need it. The material, growth, fuel and pilot interface. But first gotta proof myself with something less ambitious.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:51 am »

Name: Saraket
Race: Draqon (winged/"air" variety)
Dept.: N/A
Role: Inventor
Skill: Improbable construction (can make things out of stuff that doesn't really make sense to make it out of, i.e. a pistol made of tree branches and one of those tron disks)
Liability: Klutz (not paying the most attention to their surroundings...)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:39 am »

Name: Eglan Bregedúr
Race: Human
Dept: Randiri Department of Scientific Advancement (Covers all scientific projects undertaken in order to preserve the nation (i.e., preserve the ships) and also....advance science)
Role: Mad Scientist/Does-Everything-Scientist
Skill: !!SCIENCE!!---Does extremely good work with inventing in general...although, he's military, and most of his inventions tend to involve things going boom...or otherwise causing indiscriminate damage to the surrounding area.
Going to go out on a limb and suggest my character has basic experience/competence with all weapons and starships, as his job revolves around making the things.
Liability: He's a little prone to overambition. As in, massively-overkill and/or stupidly-insane projects that often waste time. However, when he gets something done, it works really well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:31:25 pm by Madman198237 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27