Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 17532 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (2nd Round of Votes)
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 04:00:24 pm »

"Remember: just because the spa is a no-grav zone does not mean it plays well with the vacuum."
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 04:13:28 pm »

Just pull D, everyone. We'll be our own nation.

Heck, we could rotate leaders/presidents and jobs and crap. The point is, we'll can be a nomadic race living on a fleet of giant but relatively poorly armed spaceships travelling place to place in deep space, but only ever allowing outsiders to see smaller shuttles and cruisers and stuff.

That allows us mercenaries, businesses, everything and anything.

Hehe I kind of like that idea! So it sounds that D is winning. So, nomad spaceships? Or something else like the branching corporation?
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:52 pm »

Probably something more approximating a city-state based out of a small fleet of carriers, actually...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 04:17:12 pm »

Ooooohh, Nomad spaceships. Guess we're being a menace like a bunch of quarians :P

Also Tir go away please, I want to be the leader :P

EDIT: Nay, fuck carriers. BIG battleships are the way to go. We don't have the resources to waste on fighters.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »

The point is that we're based out of some huge ships. Potentially even a single one, though the size of the Death Star or something if that were the case.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 04:23:49 pm »

When you close Voting Round Two, confirm that, and have a list ready.

I'd suggest:
MY FAVORITE: Nomadic (And *VERY* small) nation. Uses several large spaceships to travel around, with gigantic planetary-simulation sections that resemble their homeworld, having a fake day/night cycle, fake sun, temperature and humidity, and many different types of flora and fauna. Where that planet is, however, a privileged few only know. Each spaceship contains many hangars and could, in a pinch, contain the entire nation. They have fleets of smaller vessels that they use to contact others. The fleet travels together, and none of the massive worldships is ever seen by outsiders. Not for long, anyway. Each worldship is a conglomeration of parts from smaller vessels that were destroyed or demolished as they went obsolete. However, each one is kept in meticulous repair, for this nation is not foolish, though they may not be the wealthiest around.

Others:
Merchant Marine Space!
A corporation with....less than legitimate methods that is based off of a very large spacecraft. Different divisions get different parts, or get shifted off to smaller starships entirely. It moves around. Quite often. Especially after the megalomaniacal CEO or the insane Board of Directors takes offense to a planetary goverment's actions and sends the elite mercenaries after them. Or calls up the Assassin League....or those blasted bounty hunters.

Piracy Is Not Illegal Everywhere
A massive group of semi-pirates, you steal from the annoying and give to...No, actually, you steal from anybody wealthy and corrupt, and keep it all for yourselves. But you have a fleet of decent-sized space ships, and lots and lots and lots of guns! Also, your families travel with you, and you have a couple of legitimate businesses that you keep on the side, for those times when you can't find anybody to rob.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »

I like the first one best, though the pirates one is also interesting.
I'd rather us not have to deal with insane leadership, however, so -1 to Merchant Space.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:08 pm »

Those were propositions for whenever the GM locks up the second round of voting and moves on to the third.

But yeah, first is the best, because it precludes nothing. We could do anything.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:56 pm »

Well, if we're effectively a nation of nomads... well, it's not like we can't do... well, everything. Piracy, trading, we've got the whole gamut of things to do. Though the few ships that do provide agricultural goods to the rest of the fleet should be large and well defended. Nothing that goes above the largest starship classes; we've got to fuel and staff the damn thing and we won't have billions, or likely even millions.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 04:39:16 pm »

I like how we evolved from everyone saying "no" to the merchant guild to everyone supporting my modified version of it (and yes, my thing was based mainly on the merchant guild) to us now being our own independent space country which is, in my opinion, the best possible thing that we could be, because it's fun to be a country.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »

Mostly because we can do most of the options in it :P

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 04:43:57 pm »

Well crap. I got bored, and started chunking out possible backstory instead of just a simple reply. Ah well!

We should have between hundreds of thousands or 12 million, I'd think. Obviously most will be involved in agriculture, maintenance, and service industries back on the worldships, but many people would also be available for travel offworld. I'd hope for about 2 million people, and 4 750k-people-capacity worldships, with a fleet of smaller vessels. And yes, that's supposed to be empty space on the worldships.

I didn't exactly explain my idea, but my hope is that the worldship is basically composed of a sealed, well, world. Each one having a layer of soil and rock on top of which is most of the people and what is literally habitable land inside a starship (No cliché glass dome, however) with a fake day/night cycle and flora and lots of sometimes-deadly fauna. Most people live there. Some, however, work in the clean and well-maintained hallways and rooms below, where the nation's starships are maintained in cavernous hangars and the great drive systems are kept in tip-top shape. The ships also should have some form of FTL depending on the world this is set in.

They have extreme shielding and armor (Shielding again dependent on the level of sci-fi this world will have) but relatively (Read: Incredibly dangerous, but not as plentiful as the shield generators) small numbers of weapons. They're meant to protect the nation, not wage war.

The fleets are another thing. Cobbled together of vessels from a hundred systems and a thousand planets, the vessels use widely disparate weapon systems and strategies, with the admirals often specializing in innovative one-off tactics capable of turning the tide of battle. Each ship has been refitted and updated many times. The battleships are often some of the oldest vessels, because a chunk of metal in space, with enough care, just doesn't go truly obsolete. Every ship might combine armor from an insectoid hive-mind and the railguns of a human collective, but they're all effective, and often fast.

....and I'm going to stop before I write this all up and get told "The vote just went the other way...and we'll never use any of it"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:07 pm »

If we don't use it, then truly, the forumites are terrible people.

But that can't be true. Right?
disregarding mermaid farms

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 04:49:04 pm »

Hey, mermaid farms are fine as long as mermaid remains are valuable

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »

Yeah, the size of ship we need for that, we're likely not getting. At most the length of our ships is going to be roughly 2 km, and we aren't going to have a lot of them. Besides, hydroponics work, we don't need that much soil. At most we're only getting into the tens of thousands, maybe a hundred thousand if we're lucky about fleet size.

Moreover, the agricultural work wouldn't need so many people with mechanisation and stuff like robots being able to help out. The biggest use for our manpower would be actively crewing the ships and everything relating to keeping those ships going, and we wouldn't have a lot to spare outside of that, and even if we have a factory ship automation means it still doesn't require a lot of manpower.

And life on the fleet would be regulated too; your food is rationed, your water is rationed (Sure, there's enough of both to survive but if you don't watch what you use you might run out, which will kill you), your worth as in individual tied solely to what you provide to the fleet in terms of skills and odds are you don't have much say in how everything is run. And there's plenty of things that will kill you, and that's before combat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27