Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Outer Colony  (Read 66062 times)

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
Re: Outer Colony
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »

Sadly not... I tried different layers... Surface, in air and underground in a tunnel
Hi, HopFlash, and thanks for your kind words and testing! Big thanks to Ehndras, too, for lending some guidance here.

It's likely that you've discovered a bug of some sort. I'll try to reproduce it on my end and see if I can't figure it out.

I'm afraid I didn't make much progress this week, though, as I've been extremely sick, and I just can't shake this cough I have. The last couple days I've been feeling alright during the daytime, but I've been getting really sick again at night. I'm going to conk out for now, but I'll aim to post another update in the next weekend or two.

And Tchey, I'm with you, man - I'd love to move to a motel and develop Outer Colony full time. The only problem is that I've tried that, twice, and both times, the Kickstarter campaigns generated less funding than a single day of consulting revenue. The game just isn't in a state where people are willing to pay for it yet, which I understand completely, and I lack the marketing expertise and salesmanship to attract an audience. Despite years of trying on Twitter, there are only a handful of people on the planet who know about the project, let alone having a sufficient number of people who'd be willing to buy it.

And the cold reality is that I can't fund the continued graphics work or buy food for myself without money. So I have to consult during the week to keep the project going, which obviously slows things down a ton, but it's the best I can do at present. I could write a great deal more about the project's history and how we've fallen short when it comes to generating excitement and revenue, if you're curious, but believe me, I've tried what you describe.

Maybe someday, it'll all come together, and I'll get a chance to work on it full time again, but I don't know if that'll be any time soon.

**Update**
And thanks, The Scout, I really appreciate your continued testing. I have a feeling that this relates to the island bug you identified before, as some pathing behaviors and spatial awareness become messed up when landing sites are chosen near water. I've been focused on gearing up for the graphics overhaul during the last couple of weeks, but this is an extremely high priority bug, if I can ever find time to work on it. Thanks again, man!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:12:11 pm by VoyagerGames »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:41 am »

Bug: Powerlines take over everything.  Place them accidentially in my light shelter - Never built, can't remove.  Place accidentially over one of my solar generator, bye bye solar generator (it seems to be just gone).

And nobody seems to want to move my raw stone, but that could just be impatience on my part.

EDIT: nevermind, the solar generator is back (must be something with my view of the z-levels, its kind of wonky)
I think I may have broken something with mining, again the Z-level system is not intuitive, especially where it defaults on game start.
Specifically, the Z-level view, the surface view, and the top down view are completely separated, which makes no sense.  I can't even get back to my colony by selecting the Warp to Colony, it just won't set the Z-level, I have to always manually go home on the Z-level view, otherwise the number is completely misleading.

Also, there is no way to return to the main menu without closing the program.

Also, if you try to fix the z-level problems by setting z-level before landing the initial embark ship, the ship never lands.
EDIT: Hazah, I got the ship to land.  With the z-level tinkered with, the ship needs a whole area to land, but will still land if given its whole breath

Apparently, I can't get my colonists to build their wind plants on a raised elevation.  They just won't go up the elevation change, I guess.

After two starts and some patience, I finally got some granite in the ore processor!  Let's see what I can make!

There needs to be a "cancel mining" (and maybe other designations as well) button for us newbies that aren't really sure what we're doing, otherwise my colonists might have to dig a 6x6 square down 30 levels...

Just figured out that I could, and probably should, issue a dig order without using the dig down or mine shaft feature.  Wasn't really clear from what I was reading.

EDIT#??: Seems possible to get things stuck broken.  For example, in my current game I can't seem to make displays.  Might be a problem (on my end) with trading, as I've had to trade for Metalloids, yet I can't seem to get them available for manufacturing.

Just to clarify, I'm enjoying this game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:54 am »

Bugs with trading that everyone should know about

1) Once you set your first landing zone YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE IT (actually this is a bug with area designation, in that the Remove Area Designation just doesn't work)
1b) Trade zone elevation must match initial colony elevation, or you can't trade.  Hence why above is so important.
1c) DON'T build a floor on the area you want as your landing zone.  You won't be able trade if you designate a landing zone over a floor.  Ignore the site's guide.
2) If you buy more than one item, then place that item, only one item gets placed and all the other items seem to disappear (actually, I think the game treats 10 Cots as one cot, so you'll get the clump back, but you'll never be able to untangle them).  So buy your furniture, machinery, etc. ONE AT A TIME.
3) I've never gotten the minerals that I've purchased to be usable, but maybe that's just me.
4) Sometimes, you embark and there are no trade partners.  Look before you invest any serious time in a colony.

Non-trade related trader bug: Sometimes there are corpses on the trader ship, which triggers a need for them to be buried...but then the trader flies off with the corpses and you can't satisfy that need.  I'm starting to wonder if the traders are linked between my planets as this has affected multiple worlds, I always assumed each world was stand alone and not part of a larger galaxy with the other worlds.

Feature: More trade partners become available after embark.  Not sure exactly, other than whenever I build something that isn't a light structure, I usually get another trade partner.  Unsure if the player can go from none to one, if so I'll modify #4.

deMangler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 05:00:49 pm »

1) Once you set your first landing zone YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE IT (actually this is a bug with area designation, in that the Remove Area Designation just doesn't work)
1b) Trade zone elevation must match initial colony elevation, or you can't trade.  Hence why above is so important.
2) If you buy more than one item, then place that item, only one item gets placed and all the other items seem to disappear (actually, I think the game treats 10 Cots as one cot, so you'll get the clump back, but you'll never be able to untangle them).  So buy your furniture, machinery, etc. ONE AT A TIME.
3) I've never gotten the minerals that I've purchased to be usable, but maybe that's just me.
4) Sometimes, you embark and there are no trade partners.  Look before you invest any serious time in a colony.

Non-trade related trader bug: Sometimes there are corpses on the trader ship, which triggers a need for them to be buried...but then the trader flies off with the corpses and you can't satisfy that need.  I'm starting to wonder if the traders are linked between my planets as this has affected multiple worlds, I always assumed each world was stand alone and not part of a larger galaxy with the other worlds.

Feature: I just found out that more trade partners can become available after embark.  Probably based upon colony size, as I got the extra trade partner after finishing my first building, making several pieces of furniture, trading the first trade partner, and mining a bit.

About 1b - I designated my landing zone on top of a floor that was laid on ground that was levelled to match my starting colony elevation but I cannot trade.
Should I have done it 1 level down to account for the floor?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2017, 08:30:57 pm »

Feature: I just found out that more trade partners can become available after embark.  Probably based upon colony size, as I got the extra trade partner after finishing my first building, making several pieces of furniture, trading the first trade partner, and mining a bit.

About 1b - I designated my landing zone on top of a floor that was laid on ground that was levelled to match my starting colony elevation but I cannot trade.

I'm fumbling around just as you are, but when you say "cannot trade", do you mean that there is no trade partners, or that when the trade vessel comes that nothing happens when you select "Trade Negotiations"?
1b specifically refers to the second instance.  I'll try what you did as well (I never floored my landing zone)
...in my recent experiment, the trade ship isn't even coming, although that could other issues (undeveloped founder nation perhaps, I haven't played these founders much).  But you are right, the elevation increases when you add a floor, and would seem to cause problems.
It would help if I remembered to designate a Landing Zone...

I'll keep experimenting, as although I have had problems, I need to reset because I hit the Summon Migrants and Summon Trade Partner buttons too many times before designating a landing zone, which can't be good (I have some sort of ship, but it won't leave).
EDIT: So far, so bad.  Even if the elevation matches, the floored landing zone doesn't seem to allow trading, and its the type where nothing happens when "Trade Negotiations" is selected.  Now to make sure it will work without the flooring...
CONFIRMED - All flooring is bugged for landing zones, regardless of elevation.  I'll update my Trading Bugs list.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:06 pm »

Finally, the other essential task that was knocked out in the last couple weeks: I'm back on the road! Behold, the new set of wheels:

'99 Dodge Caravan - It's a lot of car for $950. Got it with 90k miles and a brand new state inspection. The thing runs like a champ and costs next to nothing to insure, so it should help keep funding available for the upcoming graphics overhaul. Things are moving right along!

Didn't see that post earlier.  Just wanted to say that the '99 Dodge Caravan is a great car.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2017, 02:07:03 am »

BUG: Designating a Landing Zone over a floor makes the trader unable to trade, "Negotiate Trade" window never opens.

Plague victims show up and promptly die, then leave with the ship, with the colonists getting pissed that the corpse wasn't buried.  Probably cause for my above noted behavior, but at least only one colonist ever seems to care.

deMangler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2017, 09:23:40 am »

I'm fumbling around just as you are, but when you say "cannot trade", do you mean that there is no trade partners, or that when the trade vessel comes that nothing happens when you select "Trade Negotiations"?
1b specifically refers to the second instance.  I'll try what you did as well (I never floored my landing zone)
...in my recent experiment, the trade ship isn't even coming, although that could other issues (undeveloped founder nation perhaps, I haven't played these founders much).  But you are right, the elevation increases when you add a floor, and would seem to cause problems.

I'll keep experimenting, as although I have had problems, I need to reset because I hit the Summon Migrants and Summon Trade Partner buttons too many times before designating a landing zone, which can't be good (I have some sort of ship, but it won't leave).
EDIT: So far, so bad.  Even if the elevation matches, the floored landing zone doesn't seem to allow trading, and its the type where nothing happens when "Trade Negotiations" is selected.  Now to make sure it will work without the flooring...
CONFIRMED - All flooring is bugged for landing zones, regardless of elevation.  I'll update my Trading Bugs list.

It was the nothing happens when "Trade Negotiations" is selected thing.
I started a new world and tested as you have and have come to the same conclusion.
Also for some reason my trade stockpile will not persist as set to trade but that is another thing. It always reverts to unticked.
Great game.  I love how the dev is committed to the idea rather than developing to a demographic market. Makes me want to commit to testing it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:25:53 am by deMangler »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:22 pm »

It was the nothing happens when "Trade Negotiations" is selected thing.
I started a new world and tested as you have and have come to the same conclusion.
Also for some reason my trade stockpile will not persist as set to trade but that is another thing. It always reverts to unticked.
Great game.  I love how the dev is committed to the idea rather than developing to a demographic market. Makes me want to commit to testing it.
Yeah I feel the same way.  While the comparison to dwarf fortress is clear, dwarf fortress was not made for the future, it's a middle ages simulator

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2017, 12:14:35 am »

Anyone get this running on linux?
I get  "Error: Could not find or load main class com.voyagergames.tfr.TFRApplication" when trying to run the jar file.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:33:09 am by se5a »

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2017, 03:03:04 pm »

Got a bit of development done this weekend, and I'll bring you guys up to speed on what's recently been happening with the project!

First, EuchreJack and deMangler - you guys rule. These are some rock solid bug reports you've issued, and I've been able to reproduce almost everything you described. A great many of these features work for me and people who work on the project, because we have a very precise way that we conduct things like trade in-game. We hit the same buttons in the same order after fashioning the same sorts of landing sites every time, and whenever a new user picks it up, they tend to click on things in a slightly different order, or to build a landing site in a slightly different way, which often causes unexpected behavior. Some aspects of colonists' spatial reasoning need to be tweaked, but every time reports like this are made and issues are corrected, the system gets stronger and stronger.

I managed to get a little bit of programming done this morning, and I cut a minor release this afternoon. Version 0.5.53 addresses a long-standing bug with excess duplication of colonist names. I've changed things so that it's borderline impossible for colonists to name their children after themselves, and most colonists will even abandon their surname if necessary in creating a unique name for their child. It might not make the most sense from a world modeling perspective, but reducing the annoyance caused by having too many colonists with the same name was important from a gameplay perspective.

To exercise all the new code under extreme circumstances, I shimmed a test module in that really hammers the name generation framework. You can run it by way of a cheat code, if you're insane.

It's likely that no one cares much about this, but I really wanted to tackle this issue head-on, so I did!

Just wanted to say that the '99 Dodge Caravan is a great car.
Hahaha, that it is!! I'm not going to lie, I'm mildly embarrassed about enjoying a minivan this much, but I kinda' like driving it. With the 3.3, it's shockingly fun and peppy.

I love how the dev is committed to the idea rather than developing to a demographic market. Makes me want to commit to testing it.
Thanks for the kind assessment, man! This is what the project is all about - realizing an idea in working software. At the end of the day, Outer Colony is not a product, at least, not in the sense that most AAA and III games are. The way so many games are built today, where development is driven by focus groups and marketing data, fed into massive teams of hundreds of 3D modelers and artists and programmers, manufacturing a product that's specifically designed to generate revenue - the whole affair seems to degrade the character of games, at least to me.

Don't get me wrong, AAA games are wonderful at being what they are. Many are unbelievably polished masterpieces of software engineering and art, fused to create experiences that induce people to pay $70 for them. But so many of them seem to lack the soul that games of 20 or 30 years ago had. Maybe this is just the nonsensical opinion of a crotchety, mal-adjusted lunatic, but I still think that the best games are the ones made by small teams, doing something they love. For software to really function as a mode of expression, it can't be built assembly-line-fashion by a corporation that employs thousands of people.

Certainly, there are pros and cons to the approach that I've taken. Sometimes, I make design decisions that I know are going to be unappealing to typical users. I don't want to compromise the vision significantly, for any reason. With that said, I still really hope Outer Colony can be fun for people, and I try to be as responsive as possible to feedback from testers, because I do want the game to be accessible. You guys are doing the core work necessary to improve the game, and if the system is so byzantine and broken that I can't share it with anyone, then it's also failed in its purpose.

So, development of Outer Colony is about striking a balance to create the experience that we want to create.

In my next update, I'll be making an immensely exciting announcement about a new member that's joined the team, one that's near and dear to the Dwarf Fortress community. She's taking over the role of the project's chief graphics designer, and I'm giving her borderline carte blanche to define Outer Colony's new aesthetic during the graphics overhaul. She's also contributing in a huge way from a game design perspective, and we've probably exchanged 10 or 20 pages worth of emails about addressing current design deficiencies.

We'll be focusing everything to make a more coherent, thematically consistent experience for users that better exploits the underlying technologies. Having someone with more significant domain specific expertise in designing games and producing a solid ludonarrative for Outer Colony should be a boon for continued development.

Outer Colony is at a crossroads now, and the decisions we make are going to completely define the path that the project takes moving forward. I'll aim to involve you guys, the testers, as much as possible in this process to incorporate your ideas into what we're doing, and to make sure that we improve the game in ways that current players will like!

I've got a lot of other work to do this afternoon, but keep your eyes open for another announcement in this thread.

I get  "Error: Could not find or load main class com.voyagergames.tfr.TFRApplication" when trying to run the jar file.

Currently, the installer will not work on Linux, but Tchey has managed to run executable .jar from there. I haven't posed an updated jar to the download server in quite some time, but if you'd like, I can DM you the instructions I gave him on getting that bad boy to run.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued testing and interest in the project, and I'm looking forward to sharing more soon!

**Edit**
Oh, and Tchey, if you'd like a behind-the-scenes look at Voyager Games operations, I can give you the grand tour in a subsequent post. You might get a kick out of how we operate, man!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:18:07 pm by VoyagerGames »

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2017, 03:47:34 pm »

Excellent news about that talented artist person !

Oh, and Tchey, if you'd like a behind-the-scenes look at Voyager Games operations, I can give you the grand tour in a subsequent post. You might get a kick out of how we operate, man!

Whaaaat ? Seriously, i don't understand what you mean, but it seems great. Hm, "thanks" ?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »

Currently, the installer will not work on Linux, but Tchey has managed to run executable .jar from there. I haven't posed an updated jar to the download server in quite some time, but if you'd like, I can DM you the instructions I gave him on getting that bad boy to run.

Yeah you posted a link to the jar previously, which is what I'm trying.
sure if you've got more instructions on what you already posted a couple of pages back, I'll give it a shot.

it'd help if java told me where it was trying to look for the TFRApplication class that it can't find. I can find it just fine, it's right where the manifest file says it should be. java must be finding the manifest file or it wouldn't know what the class name even is. the only thing I can think of is that it's trying to run it from another folder or something. I've tried a bunch of different things, but I'm not familiar with java enough not to be stabbing in the dark. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »

Thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of bugs: I can't figure out how to add items to a prison.  I think the game flags it as a forbidden zone and won't let my movers put stuff there, but it could also be an elevation issue.  And unzoning the prison doesn't seem to help.  Note that I have no prisoners currently (and since all they got is an empty room, the colonists better hope they don't end up there).

For some reason, my military recruits spend a lot of time just walking from the recreation area to the training area.  Their orders simply are to move.  Maybe they're learning to march? EDIT: They also use the pistols exclusively instead of the rifles, although I dunno if any were equipped prior to being drafted.

The Kelgonians don't seem to have children, although it might just be that my colonists don't get along enough (I get a lot of failed romantic interactions).

I'm unsure if butchery is working right: I got a couple notices about dead creatures, so I set my stockpiles to take everything.  Then built a butcher station.  Didn't see any creatures to butcher, so I hunted one down.  Great, butchered it and everything.  But now I get the message that I have a corpse that a colonist wants buried, and I think it might be the same creature I killed.  I'm not burying some creature I meant to eat!  But, the butcher job hasn't activated yet...Nevermind, I see another bird corpse, and my colonists can't get to it.  It died on my wall. Actually, that just generated another corpse after I demolished it.  I made sure my colonists could get to it by building some stairs.
...Maybe I'm just impatient, but I wish my colonists would stop complaining about not giving the stupid birds a proper burial and JUST BUTCHER THE BLOOD BIRDS. 
EDIT: So, one of the birds got butchered, but the request for a proper burial remains.  Luckily, I recall that the request goes away with time, as I had a similar situation with this colony and a shuttle carrying dead people to and from the colony. 
EDIT2: And it appears the second bird corpse is back.

Interesting Bureaucrat behavior: I set someone as the the Minister of Sustenance, but wondered why she wasn't at her desk working.  Then I noticed she was the one making all the food and drink!  While I appreciate the leading by example, the other Food & Drink station is going idle...

William Tell moment: One of my soldiers got between another soldier firing at targets and the target...the intervening soldier was unharmed.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:22 pm »

I have a problem trying to play Outer Colony.

Generating a new world sucks up way too much RAM and then maxes out my CPU, causing everything to lag and bog down.  I didn't notice at first until I tried to save, causing everything to stutter.  I had to close the program from the Task Manager.

A restart of Outer Colony did the same thing, and I can't seem to get around it. >.<''  It makes the game all but unplayable for me.

My computer specs:
Windows 10 Creator,
Core i7-6700K 4.00Ghz,
16GB DDR3 RAM,
AMD Radeon R9 390 graphics card.

If there's anything I need to do or tweak, please let me know.  I've been craving playing a game like this for a while now.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22