Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Outer Colony  (Read 66743 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Outer Colony
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2018, 01:58:10 am »

I just did a bit of advertisement for Outer Colony on a different forum.  May or may not get any hits from it, but I linked to both the forum here and the Outer Colony webpage, asking specifically for pixel artists interested in making a bit of money for their work.

I still have high hopes for Outer Colony, so it's good to hear that development is going apace.  Hopefully you are able to get your money back from the flakes though.  Stuff like that definitely needs to be put under contract.  Ugh.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2018, 04:46:29 am »

artists

Would you have pictures of what you expect, arts wise ?

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2018, 08:11:53 pm »

I would think that there are more pixel artists out there though, but I guess that skill is becoming rarer and rarer.
Hi, Asgarus, and thanks for still following the project, man! I think we've just been having a run of bad luck lately. There are people out there who have the skills and motivation to work on a project like this, but we've just been having some trouble connecting with them. If we keep trying, I'm sure we'll eventually find the right person.

I just did a bit of advertisement for Outer Colony on a different forum.  May or may not get any hits from it, but I linked to both the forum here and the Outer Colony webpage, asking specifically for pixel artists interested in making a bit of money for their work.
Oh man, the biggest thanks possible! That's hugely appreciated. We really just need to find a motivated pixel artist that's the right fit for our team.

Hopefully you are able to get your money back from the flakes though.  Stuff like that definitely needs to be put under contract.  Ugh.
Yeah man, I actually use copyright transfer agreements and formal work order contracts with all the team members who are producing assets. It just helps clarify the deliverables for each batch of work, and it keeps everything tight and clear from an intellectual property perspective. Plus, defining work in discrete sets like this facilitates my paying upfront, which I've been told by team members is one of the nice things about working on Outer Colony.

The problem is that the dollar amounts on these initial contracts are low, to minimize risk if someone does flake out. But the flip side of that is that if a prospective artist decides they don't feel like working on the project anymore, they can disappear or deliver assets that aren't up to spec. They know it'll cost me thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and pursue recourse, and it would be insane to do that to try to recover a couple hundred dollars.

The biggest issue, though, is the amount of time we have to invest in onboarding a new artist. We've got to bring them up to speed on the vision, familiarize them with the game and its themes, and jointly formulate a plan to make compelling visuals. So every artist we go through represents a loss of many, many weeks worth of time.

Would you have pictures of what you expect, arts wise ?
That's a great question, Tchey, and right now we actually don't – that's intentional. My goal is to find an artist who's a real master of the craft. Someone who understands color theory, mood, technical nuance, and all the things that go into making a game have a great look-and-feel. I don't know a damned thing about art, especially game art, so we want to give a great deal of creative freedom and general autonomy to whoever we bring on to produce the sprites.

In a sense, we're hiring less of a traditional artist, and more of a graphics director. Part of being a competent project manager is understanding what you can and can't do. I can write mountains of interesting code and try to exploit it to create novel gameplay. I can't create sprites for Outer Colony, and I can't really define its visual style alone, either. My aim is to delegate this to someone who does have the expertise and can do these things.

I'll keep you guys posted as we continue our search, and I appreciate everyone's continued support!

*And just as a final aside, everybody we've met on these forums has been great with their contributions to the project. The characters who've flaked out on us were not people we met via the DF boards.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2018, 02:34:52 pm »

As always, really excited about this.

In regards to art, I'd really, really recommend trying to find a 'new' art style for it if possible. I know there's 'nothing new under the sun' and all that, but I don't think something that just looks like rimworld/prison architect etc. would suit. I only say that because it seems to be the default graphics style at the moment, and whilst I have nothing but respect for those sorts of games, they all merge into one and it'll be more difficult to stand out.

Even if the design ends up a bit out there, it'd be better than generic sci-fi sprites #24252.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2018, 05:35:25 pm »

As always, really excited about this.

In regards to art, I'd really, really recommend trying to find a 'new' art style for it if possible. I know there's 'nothing new under the sun' and all that, but I don't think something that just looks like rimworld/prison architect etc. would suit. I only say that because it seems to be the default graphics style at the moment, and whilst I have nothing but respect for those sorts of games, they all merge into one and it'll be more difficult to stand out.

Even if the design ends up a bit out there, it'd be better than generic sci-fi sprites #24252.

The biggest problem with art design is the point-of-view of the player.  Especially with top-down perspectives, there's only so much you can do without making it look like stick figures laying on their sides.  Lol.  The 'blob-person' style of Rimworld/Prison Architect lends itself very well to the top-down perspective, but also limits the range of what's possible when dealing with the art assets.  There are only so many different styles of hair and body shapes that people can come up with there.

I'd know, I enjoy those sorts of mods from Rimworld myself.  *Snickers*  Anyway, as for actual style goes, I'm actually hoping for something at least somewhat futuristic.  Everyone decked out in comfortable body suits with attachment points for armor or equipment would be a nice basic-level uniform, for example.  Slim-lined high tech machinery at the end game while the starting equipment is big, bulky, ugly and cheap.

All sorts of options there.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2018, 03:25:18 pm »

I think you guys are insightful with these posts about the game's visual direction. We definitely won't be going with a RimWorld / Prison Architect sort of style. I haven't played those games before, and while I'm sure they're amazing, I don't think that visual style would really fit the experience we're trying to create here.

We're 100% going with an orthogonal / isometric projection for the new visuals, in order to more properly display the world in 3 dimensions. When we're talking to artists now, we share screenshots of Stone Sense, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and a couple other late 90s / early 2000s isometric games. The style hit an interesting kind of peak then, and I think it'd just fit great with what we're trying to make here. I don't think we want to go very low-fi with our graphics, because I don't think it'd fit quite right with the game's overall feel.

We still haven't had any luck finding someone to work with us, despite my eagerness to shovel cash at a qualified candidate. I've tried recruiting from DeviantArt, but haven't had good responses in the last few weeks. Would you guys be able to suggest a place for finding a freelance pixel artist? I'm halfway considering going all out and hiring somebody as a W2 / regular employee to get this done, as that's what it feels like it might take to get somebody with the necessary skills. At that point, I'd probably post the job on Indeed / Monster / Careerbuilder. Any ideas you can share for recruiting a pixel artist would be hugely appreciated!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2018, 04:44:13 pm »

I think you guys are insightful with these posts about the game's visual direction. We definitely won't be going with a RimWorld / Prison Architect sort of style. I haven't played those games before, and while I'm sure they're amazing, I don't think that visual style would really fit the experience we're trying to create here.

We're 100% going with an orthogonal / isometric projection for the new visuals, in order to more properly display the world in 3 dimensions. When we're talking to artists now, we share screenshots of Stone Sense, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and a couple other late 90s / early 2000s isometric games. The style hit an interesting kind of peak then, and I think it'd just fit great with what we're trying to make here. I don't think we want to go very low-fi with our graphics, because I don't think it'd fit quite right with the game's overall feel.

We still haven't had any luck finding someone to work with us, despite my eagerness to shovel cash at a qualified candidate. I've tried recruiting from DeviantArt, but haven't had good responses in the last few weeks. Would you guys be able to suggest a place for finding a freelance pixel artist? I'm halfway considering going all out and hiring somebody as a W2 / regular employee to get this done, as that's what it feels like it might take to get somebody with the necessary skills. At that point, I'd probably post the job on Indeed / Monster / Careerbuilder. Any ideas you can share for recruiting a pixel artist would be hugely appreciated!

I'd suggest going to proper job websites if you're thinking about taking it seriously - DeviantArt and the like are all well and good for bits, but this seems as though you want someone to be a team member rather than someone just to 'do a bit of art' for you. If you don't want to do that, depending on where you live it may be that there are universities/art colleges/studios which you could go to. The one thing that artists are always short of is proper paid employment, and so I'm sure you'd get a good response!

For all of this, I'd suggest putting in place a rigorous testing process - don't just go off their portfolio. Maybe describe a scene (or better yet, set it up in game!) and ask them to recreate it as they would see it looking in a finished product (GUI and all). It's a lot of work, so allow for it to be a bit rough round the edges, but doing something like that would help you find the right person. I would personally suggest putting a time limit on it - nothing harsh, just keep it relatively short so that you know they can deliver promptly.

I've got a friend who does game art (unfortunately nothing like what you're looking for) and I've heard them chat a lot about their experiences. One of the big things they kept getting offered is 'profit share' schemes and similar - whilst you may have the best will in the world with it, it's a big red flag for many people. Also, when he freelanced, he also moaned a lot about people saying 'do your vision' but they really had one in mind but just didn't say - make sure you get it all out in the open before hand! Just things to think about.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2018, 11:21:08 pm »

Artstation and Pixeljoint have a lot of talent. I'd be looking at more targeted communities.

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »

Really good suggestions, Retro and BigD. I've been going through portfolios / resumes over the last couple weeks, and I'm about to give a pixel artist something of a test run on a minor contract. I'll see how this candidate does with a work order to produce some real assets for the game, and if they turn out great, we'll just keep going from there!

Artstation and Pixeljoint have a lot of talent. I'd be looking at more targeted communities.
Oh man, these are some pretty awesome websites! I'm kinda' shocked I never came across them in my searches, but if the current candidate doesn't work out, I'll definitely try these places for further recruiting efforts. Thanks again, man!

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2018, 10:03:53 pm »

Something to keep in mind: the problem with one-off art commissions is that it can get tough to keep the artwork stylistically consistent between artists.  If you end up patching in more content or other DLC later, you're stuck having to find that guy again or go and redo everything.

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »

Is this game available? Saw this thread, looked it up, don't see a download or buy button anywhere.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »

Is this game available? Saw this thread, looked it up, don't see a download or buy button anywhere.

I'll save the developer a second and post this https://voyagergames.com/

Hm, seems they took down the demo.  Maybe they would be nice enough to release it somewhere?

Torvus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:38 pm »

Hm, seems they took down the demo.  Maybe they would be nice enough to release it somewhere?

Sam took it down because the demo as it is now is not representative of the game as it will be upon release now that he's chosen to go with an isometric view. I dont think he'd mind my telling you that a new pixel artist has been found and the first set of ground sprites have been produce, but not enough for an isometric demo.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:45 pm »

Sam took it down because the demo as it is now is not representative of the game as it will be upon release now that he's chosen to go with an isometric view. I dont think he'd mind my telling you that a new pixel artist has been found and the first set of ground sprites have been produce, but not enough for an isometric demo.

Thanks for the update.

Torvus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »

Of course. I am always happy to answer any questions that I can.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22