Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Outer Colony  (Read 66297 times)

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outer Colony
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 06:54:43 am »

Besides doing random without it being insignificant requires good thinking and planning.

In many ways it needs to not be random :P

That's true. The question is also where to begin and where to stop. But I don't want to start a discussion on that right now^^

This sounds silly but this game's name isn't doing it any favors given how many "colony" games there are.

I think the opposite, the name lets me know what is it about, and it's actually the first thing that made me look at it at the very first time i've read about the game.

Same for me.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »

where can i throw money at the screen to get my hands on the beta ?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 09:58:02 pm »

https://voyagergames.com/
The demo is the game right now.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 03:03:50 am »

https://voyagergames.com/
The demo is the game right now.

The download link is not up to date.
Just replace the 0_46 in the link with 0_50.
(right click the download button, copy link address, paste it into your URL bar, change version number, hit enter (but not too hard pls), profit)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 03:06:59 am »

yeah the game updated anyway, this should be on steam think it would do well

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »

The download link is not up to date.
Just replace the 0_46 in the link with 0_50.
(right click the download button, copy link address, paste it into your URL bar, change version number, hit enter (but not too hard pls), profit)
I finally fixed the link today. Sorry that took so long, I just got distracted by a bunch of miscellaneous tasks last night.

Quote from: ollobrains
Oh man, don't get too excited, and set your expectations extremely low. In its current state, Outer Colony is about a hundred miles away from the point at which it could be sold. It's very buggy, the graphics need a complete overhaul, the control scheme needs help, several features are decidedly primordial, and so on. It's semi-playable, and my friends and I have a bunch of fun with it, but it's very far from a completed state.

And hi to etgfrog! I've been out of action for a few weeks during my job hunt, but I'm finally getting back to patching the last rounds of bugs you reported. Huge thanks, man - another release should be out in the somewhat near future to iron out those other issues you've found.

Do any of you guys enjoy multiplayer games? From a playing-it sort of perspective, my favorite thing about Outer Colony is that it supports dedicated servers, sorta' like MineCraft. Maybe at some point, I could stand up a test server and bring in some of you guys from the DF forums. I find it much more fun to burn down settlements controlled by actual humans than the game's paltry meta-AI.  8)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:09 am »

the mmo is really teritary to better more streamlined ui, more depth and fixing it so it feels easier to pickup like rimworld does ( while maintaining its complexity), more small scale events, like crashed cargo pods, expand teh social interactions a bit more theres room for small improvements that make big impacts

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2017, 05:35:06 am »

I haven't been able to test the multiplayer mode yet, due to lack of people to play this with.
I'm gonna try it sooner or later and then I will write down my impressions.

the mmo is really teritary to better more streamlined ui, more depth and fixing it so it feels easier to pickup like rimworld does ( while maintaining its complexity), more small scale events, like crashed cargo pods, expand teh social interactions a bit more theres room for small improvements that make big impacts

This has nothing to do with MMO ;)

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2017, 08:49:29 am »

more small scale events, like crashed cargo pods
Agreed. One of the things I've struggled with from a design perspective is getting the frequency of events to feel right.

We actually have ship wrecks now, and they can be kinda' interesting. There are certain rare items that can only be salvaged from ship wrecks, but sometimes the wrecks contain corpses that are infected with horrible diseases. Right now, I don't allow this event to occur during a colony's first season (approximately the first hour of a game), because I've found that during that time, I'm not really equipped to respond to such an event anyway. I'm struggling to build simple infrastructure to satisfy my colonists' most basic needs. If one of them contracted corpse rot at that point, it'd immediately destroy the expedition.

Many events can't happen at all until several more hours into a colony's playtime. Again, it's because if the Old Corsair shows up 15 minutes after landing, he's just going to massacre everyone and leave. So, I'm not sure how to best address this from a design perspective. There are so many requirements that need to be satisfied to keep your colonists happy, and these require so much infrastructure. The depth of the human data model sorta' demands it, so from square one, you've got to establish all these things (and more):

-Power Grid
-Shelter
-Sleeping Area
-Socialization Area
-Water Treatment Facilities
-Construction Material Manufacturing Station
-Consumer Goods Manufacturing Station
-Some kind of mining operation to supply at a minimum some kind of metal and some kind of metalloid.
-DataNet Terminals, and you need these fast!
-Probably a chemical power generator and a mined fuel source
-Child Care Area, and fast! Sometimes colonists hit it off and are reproducing 20 minutes into a game.
-Fabric synthesis infrastructure for lamps and clothing.
-Lamps! And fast, too!
-Farming and food processing infrastructure. You'll run out of food and drink soon enough.

The list goes on and on, and the start of a game is something of a race to establish these things before your colonists start flipping out for want of them. And the reason you need all these is because humans need food, drink, shelter (and they're picky about this, so it needs lighting, bedding, etc), creative outlets for media production / consumption, clothing, an appropriate area to hang out with one another, an appropriate area for kids, and so on.

Because I'm swamped with these tasks as a player, I delay the introduction of events sometimes for a pretty long time. But sometimes, this can make the pace of a game feel a bit sluggish. My thought is that righteous graphics will make all this building feel more satisfying, which will help alleviate some of the pacing issues, but I need to put more thought into making the game *feel* right. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd be all ears.

theres room for small improvements that make big impacts
I agree once more. There are a bunch of little improvements that ought to help the system as a whole.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2017, 04:21:42 am »

Does the need datanet terminals fast have anything related to the bug where if you forget to build a terminal in 3 days time they simply will not use them?

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2017, 06:52:47 am »

Does the need datanet terminals fast have anything related to the bug where if you forget to build a terminal in 3 days time they simply will not use them?

Oh that is a known bug? I thought my people were just not creative at all :D
Good thing I bought a data drive from a merchant.

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2017, 09:40:48 am »

Fascinating - they should use available DataNet terminals no matter what, unless some other need they have is trumping their desire to consume media. For instance, they'll eschew DataNet usage if they're starving and trying to find food, or if someone has a gun pointed in their face, but if the terminal is available and they feel like using it, they should do so.

Are you sure that the terminals are in a room connected to the power grid? Also, is there enough power available to run the things? Sometimes if you're using renewable energy sources, like wind and solar, it's easy to run out of energy reserves, and Outer Colony currently doesn't do anything to tell you about this problem. I need to log a feature request for this, come to think of it.

*Edit*
One of the biggest problems with Outer Colony now is that it doesn't do enough to tell a player what's going wrong when something is going wrong. It's something I really need to work on, because almost all players run into situations where something doesn't work, and it's entirely unclear why.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:45:10 am by VoyagerGames »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2017, 10:07:33 am »

*Edit*
One of the biggest problems with Outer Colony now is that it doesn't do enough to tell a player what's going wrong when something is going wrong. It's something I really need to work on, because almost all players run into situations where something doesn't work, and it's entirely unclear why.

Exactly that.^^

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »

ah so feedback loops and explanation as to whats going on and suggested fixes, makes sense.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2017, 11:47:39 pm »

I think that is a bit...excessive considering the original equipment manufacturing station was quality 65. So far in my new game I've gotten data terminals up by hour 17 and so far no one has used them.

On another note...why isn't nickel or cobalt a ferros metal when they both are ferromagnetic?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:08:43 am by etgfrog »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22