Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Biome Manipulator, a world gen/pre embark biome region manipulation tool  (Read 54055 times)

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biome Manipulator, a world gen/pre embark biome region manipulation tool
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2022, 07:58:09 am »

Bug report: When I embark with cats and chickens in a game-made region, there are no piles of vermin, but when I embark with cats and chickens in a region made by biomemanipulator, there are loads of vermin remains by the chickens all the time, presumably being killed by the cats. So I guess something regarding the vermin I add is set wrong. was just told this does in fact happen in vanilla

Also, how can I add pond turtles to a region's ponds?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 01:00:09 pm by Tachytaenius »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2022, 02:37:48 am »

I don't know...

Ponds are their own biomes (like streams), but not tied to regions as such, and so aren't even available at the pre embark level, as far as I know. I suspect the "vermin" available in each pond is generated as the pond is generated, drawn from some unknown list, possibly generated on the fly based on factors such as latitude and "vermin" properties. Note that this is a guess.
Hacking pond populations post embark seems to be poorly understood as well.

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2022, 10:03:47 am »

Thank you for the answer!

GlitterLich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2023, 04:32:35 am »

Hello! I really want to start tinkering with biomes and evil weather in the new 50.05 version and this tool seems like it would do all that and more, will this tool be updated to work with it?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:21:05 am by GlitterLich »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2023, 05:11:30 pm »

It's unknown...

Given that the script uses an overlay over the world map, a version suitable for 0.50+ would have to be able to do that with the new grids and use the correct one. In addition to that, it would either somehow use character sprites even on top of image sprites to retain the current functionality, or find an even more complicated way to somehow pick out a sprite that's in the sprite set used, and I don't think all biomes have distinct sprites.

In addition to that, I plan on buying the Itch.io version once keyboard support has been restored, and use the Classic version until then, and DFHack is still struggling to come up with a way to support anything but Steam (there's some vendor specific junk that causes data to end up at different locations in the code from different vendors: I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be amplified when/if additional OS' are supported), so I currently have no real view of what the situation is.

It can be noted that the last pre Premium release versions did not calculate all biomes correctly, because the underlying DF code has changed and the reverse engineered code that made the calculations had not been updated. The differences were rather minor (some incursions had an incorrect biome determination, and it seems the ocean biome boundaries were changed), but it's possible that additional, more significant changes have been made in the Premium release.

Terminology:
Premium release: The 0.50.x release
Premium version: The commercial versions (currently from Steam and Itch.io), as opposed to the Classic version

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2023, 08:42:55 pm »

Fascinating.  I'm keeping an eye on this.  World cooking is among my favorite DF hobbies, and the Biome Manipulator is so much easier than Perfect World (at least for embark-level painting).

Foxblade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2024, 05:49:00 pm »

Hello!

I've mostly been playing on Steam recently, and I have been wanting to play in some Good/Evil biomes and I realized that this tool would be perfect for just swapping a biome to what you want rather than trying to go through a bunch of custom map permutations to get a good map with what I'm looking for.

Is there any chance this tool is still in development or being updated to work with 50.xx Dwarf Fortress? Sorry to necro the thread and thanks!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2024, 08:46:16 pm »

Also, what about Region Manipulator?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Foxblade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2024, 10:00:15 pm »

Also, what about Region Manipulator?

Yes absolutely curious about this as well!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2024, 10:12:37 pm »

Great minds think alike, I was just hunting for this thread.  The latest version of Premium has some limited keyboard cursor functionality, but not at the worldmap selection (that I can tell).  I hope you will come back to this plugin eventually.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2024, 05:13:44 am »

The thread specifically for a tool can't really be necroed unless the tool is well and truly dead. The ideal case for no activity would be a tool that worked so well there was no reason for any discussions at all...

All my interaction with DF apart from a limited site presence remains on hold until keyboard support has been restored, as I don't find a mouse only (or even mostly) game playable and thus don't have any interest in working on tools for it.
Thus, my current intention is to return to DF when keyboard support has been restored, but there's probably a limit to how many years I can wait before losing interest completely (it's been 1½ years since the announcement of the removal of keyboard support and the subsequent announcement of the reversal of that decision).

However, the UI changes will make an update a rather extensive task, and I have no idea how much work it would be replace the current overlay with a new one, or even if there would be suitable tiles available for it.
It can also be noted that the logic for biome determination is no longer correct, as DF changed some time before the Premium release (the ocean type boundaries have shifted a fair bit, while other differences are lesser). The DFHack plugin that performs this logic has not been updated (it would probably require a new disassembly effort to do so). If I remember correctly this script uses the Lua version of that code (written before the DFHack plugin exported the logic from the disassembly), but an update should probably hook into the DFHack plugin to improve future proofing.

It can also be noted that other things probably have changed, so research and usage of new/changed data structures would probably be required.

The most important keyboard support restoration would be the restoration of the Help key binding, as all my scripts have help screens using this key, and without this they won't work at all (The Librarian was updated on request, but I just disabled the help functionality entirely to get around that issue).

The Region Manipulator faces the same type of challenges as this script does.

I have no issues with someone else taking whatever logic they find useful in my scripts and roll their own, although I would prefer if they didn't use the same names for their scripts, as that would cause confusion.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2024, 12:24:59 pm »

Ah, that's fair.  Well for what it's worth, this plugin was by far my best friend in Classic.  I suppose we'll see what the future holds for Premium (perhaps it's time I started learning lua writing myself).

Foxblade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2024, 02:21:54 pm »

Also sad to hear but understandable.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]