Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Biome Manipulator, a world gen/pre embark biome region manipulation tool  (Read 641 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks Rekov, it's good to hear that some people are using the tool.
The reason I don't like evil rain is that it causes caravans to bolt and litter up the embark with huge piles of junk.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile

The only thing I wish were different so far is that once you modify a biome, it stays modified. As it stands, if you abort your embark you have to modify it again.

Something else that might be neat for it to do, is an option to automatically increase the populations of all creatures on an embark site to some number where they are unlikely to ever go extinct. Your mod lets you do this already, but you have to manually do it for each creature.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Well, I suppose you could easily make all creatures ubiquitous/innumerable/etc. with either raw modding or a script. However, you'd probably want to modify/perhaps equalize frequencies too, as otherwise you might have trouble getting rarer beasts to show up, who sometimes don't display themselves until you've driven extinct several more common species. (Plus there is also the matter on the taming of sea serpents.)

E: Maybe something like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To populate and give all creatures currently present equal frequencies (not tested).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:30:33 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not aware of any way to save DF while in pre embark (I've tried quicksave, and it didn't work, as expected). However, if you do the manipulations during world gen it will be saved as the generated world is saved. You can also do the changes during pre embark and embark and retire/abandon at some place you don't actually want to play at to get the changes to stick.

As Fleeting Frames said, you probably want to be selective on what species you actually want to ensure are retained. I've certainly never suspected that I would have run out of thieving monkeys or keas...

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to modify a site's climate, or would that just be controlled by changing the biome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A biome defines the "climate", although parameters can change to some extent without changing the biome. The reasons this tool doesn't provide means to change the biome are mainly:
- That functionality is provided by specifying the PSVs for the world for advanced world gen; and
- Changing biome is somewhat messy, as that implies (generally, although not in all cases) moving the world tile from belonging to one region to belonging to another, possibly a completely new one (if not adjacent to a suitable target region), which would then require the setup of plants and animals for it.

Thus, it's not impossible to do, but requires more administrative work that I thought worthwhile given that people who want to control their embark site tend to control the world via PSVs.

Edit:
Updated to version 0.14 2017-07-25.
- Added ability to manipulate geo biomes.
- Restructured the help text into several pages as it no longer fit on one.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:16:59 am by PatrikLundell »
Pages: 1 2 [3]