Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick stairway question  (Read 767 times)

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick stairway question
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »

I understand how the stairways work pretty much so I usually plan ahead to make sure I am doing it correctly with matching down stairs to up stairs.  However,  I just ran into a spot where I wanted to add a down stairs somewhere but I have already dug out the room. Is there any way I can get around this?

I have the layer below set as an up stair, but of course it hits the floor tile of the large room in question.  Can I just channel straight down and have that work, or can I just build a 1x1 block and then dig it out with a down stair? (not even sure if you CAN dig a down stair on a dwarf built block).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Quick stairway question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »

If you used designations-dig (d-d), you have dug out the wall part of room; the floor is left intact (every tile is composed of a floor and wall part, essentially).
You can just designate a downstair to be dug on the floor (this also works on surface).

If you floored over a dug down or up-down stairs, deconstructing the floor with d-n will give you downstairs. Alternatively, (b)uild-(C)onstruction menu has (d)own stairs and up-down stairs (x), which can be built from any orthogonally adjacent tile with access.

Channelling and then building would work too, of course, but is unnecessary. Still, it would have been faster to save and then test than type your post. Also, should next time post it DF Gameplay Questions