Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Masterwork DF everything I need?  (Read 1545 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is Masterwork DF everything I need?
« on: June 27, 2017, 01:35:31 pm »

Hey folks,

I haven't played DF in a few years. Does the Masterwork mod include all the tools i'll need? Lazy noob pack and dwarf therapist and all that? If not I know i'll need the lazy noob pack but is there anything else i'm going to want?

Thanks for the updates!

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Masterwork DF everything I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:14 pm »

Hmm crashes when I try to launch the game, guess that answers my questions haha

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:25 pm »

Masterwork lets you customize who will invade you, and how many secrets/necromancers/megabeasts/titans/vampires/titans/demons/undead your world will have. Framerate improves a marginally, and it adds an auto-save for those times you get crashes due to extreme lag. There is also an assortment of lategame creatures you can add, for the hardcore defense artist. Or you can manually add a TON of enemy civilizations such as necromancers, orcs, night creatures and spider fiends that will siege you.
Succubus Dungeon seems pretty popular.
Perfect World lets you customize your world's geography (though it takes some trial and error to export).
Wanderer's Friend lets you craft needed items in Adventure Mode.
Mythical Monsters Mod lets you play as some awesome creatures.
Playable Naga Race... I'll let you guess what this one is for :)
Legends Viewer lets you graph population/historical statistics.
Modest Mod improves combat realism for bites and kicks.
Wizard's Tower adds more endgame to Adventure Mode.

That said, I think that the name generator for Masterwork is REALLY bad. Like, avengeing and forgeted are NOT words! And for some reason I can't get the vanilla tileset to function properly!

tl;dr - Masterwork lets you ramp-up the difficulty to how the game was in 2010, but with Tons more adventure mode & lategame content! If you're planning to play in a world for more than 200 hours or want lots of enemy civilizations then I strongly suggest it.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »

Sounds awesome, my pc may not play it though lol. Turned all the options on and it just crashed when it tried to create a new world. Went back to default profile and removed more stuff. Seems to get a little further along in world creation the more stuff I turn off.  I'm going to play around with it and see if my pc will get its act together. Ty for the reply

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »

Just my 50c: I used to have crash issues as soon as I created a new world, fixed them by installing .NET 4.0 (I think I read somewhere it was required) and switching to 1.28 (the modified version). Dunno which one fixed it, but now I've been bingeplaying for about a day and not a crash to be seen.
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:38:07 pm »

My issue seems to be related to using the graphics option for Creature Sprites.

When it's checked the game crashes while loading. When it's unchecked it loads fine but my succubus display with the letter i =/

I'm using the meph graphics pack.

Also can't seem to get dwarf therapist working

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »

These issues sound like you just grabbed Meph's last release, which is buggy as get out. If you want a supported release with mostly-working features, go to this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163261.0
I think Amos got DT "working", for a certain definition of working. It doesn't read caste skill bonuses properly, but that's an issue on the DT end, and the actual guy who writes DT is on hiatus (kind of like Meph is), so we're stuck with a few community fixes that haven't hit on that bug so far.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:32:13 pm »

These issues sound like you just grabbed Meph's last release, which is buggy as get out. If you want a supported release with mostly-working features, go to this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163261.0
I think Amos got DT "working", for a certain definition of working. It doesn't read caste skill bonuses properly, but that's an issue on the DT end, and the actual guy who writes DT is on hiatus (kind of like Meph is), so we're stuck with a few community fixes that haven't hit on that bug so far.

Awesome I'll check it out thanks man, that's exactly what I did. =)