Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Orcs] Bonemeal and bonemold  (Read 1421 times)

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
[Orcs] Bonemeal and bonemold
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

I have a couple of questions regarding Orcs.
1) Is the Dismembering Theater the only way to acquire Bonemold? Seems kinda... weird? I wanted to go for a full "tribal" build but turns out I need a chain/rope and a mechanic to get the traction bench. I think you used to make it in the boneforge some time ago? I'm just a dumb noob, maybe there are some balance issues at work which I haven't managed to wrap my head around, but would love some context. Also once you get your Theater working you end just drowning in the stuff, the yield might be a bit too much...
2) Bonemold = old Ironbone: it seems that the only way to use it is in the Tribal Wargear workshop to make 3 kinds of weapon. It just doesn't show in the Metalsmith Workshop. Also intended for balance issues?
Thanks for your time folks!
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Orcs] Bonemeal and bonemold
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:32:54 pm »

Bonemold is a weaponsgrade material in the metalsmith's forge. It cannot be used to make furniture or "Other Items", so if you were looking there you won't find it. It should appear immediately above Bloodsteel on the weapon material list.
Bonemeal can also be made at the kiln, it seems, at least for orcs. Unless these files are a little broken, which is possible.

Notably the Tribal Warcrafter does not actually use bonemeal. He crafts items directly out of bones, skipping that process entirely, but produces bonemold weaponry, with all the quality and strength of that material (being roughly iron-grade), as opposed to that of mere bones. Bonemold bar production is intended to be a little bit more advanced and involved than the warcrafter, and is of primary importance when utilizing the orcish factory to make weapon moulds, but can also be used at the forge directly.

Once you have an amputation theatre up, honestly you're going to find yourself drowning in bonemeal. Which is good because bonemeal is a flux, ingredient for bonemold, and a fertilizer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:35:03 pm by Khaos »

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:03 pm »

Yep, completely missed the kiln... I need to start looking at raws or I will keep asking stupid questions.
BTW, I noticed the lack of a *Orcs* thread, so I kinda feel forced to start a new one everytime, should I open one directly? (There is an old one, but I suppose that's for Meph's version, not 1.28)
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:05 am »

the old thread is still valid for 1.28 and really needs a bump to get it nearer to the top of the list.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal