Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slowly dying hard drive? Possible replacement, repair?  (Read 2756 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Slowly dying hard drive? Possible replacement, repair?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 05:57:09 am »

I remember actual floppy disks..... But besides that....

Microsoft and McDonald's both make inferior products compared to several other options. Both will continue to dominate, because other options are user friendly and widely available.

One time purchase license... pays for itself after 2 years. Cloud storage is overrated and overpriced in this case. Updates? See above. Even Microsoft must realize that if it doesn't support its products with compatibility, it will lose, basically everything. Once someone like me reaches a point where they switch over despite reluctance, it's a death spiral. Why? I'm a good benchmark user, although not perfect. At some point, the abuse will deteriorate the market share. We aren't there yet, but if they keep trying to turn everything into a recurrent fee, we will be eventually. IT departments will either rebel (like sticking to windows 7, as is currently the case) or die. Microsoft is trying to replace IT by making updates automatic, remote, and mandatory. It's their dream anyhow.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 09:23:39 am »

So Microsoft is behind the wannacry and more recent virus attacks? I know the wannacry attack sparked a huge 'YOU MUST GET RID OF YOUR OLD WINDOWS XP SYSTEMS' hype for every and all company or institution our government has a say in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 11:12:41 pm »

No, you can thank the NSA's hoarding of exploits, and MS's refusal to support legacy OS with essential patches. (They dont need to retrofit new features, but if people dont want the latest and greatest, they need to either offer people what they want [An operating system that does not hold your computer ransom, or treat you like a child, and which does not have a bunch of bloated shitware running in the background, like those damned "recommended app" placements for their revolting app store that nobody wants to use, and they wont take a hint over.] and give security fixes. I dont want to hear the absurd arguments about money; MS needs to do things more like RedHat does, and offer support contracts for "obsolete" product support.  There are active support contracts form RedHat for 2.6.X kernels!! That is like if MS was offering active support for windows 98SE. People have a need, and RedHat is happy to fill it-- MS should follow that example.)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »

MS actually does have support contracts but only with specific enterprises ie. the federal government where alot of equipment is still on XP. Technically I can still purchase DOS licenses from my microsoft rep even though its literally just a piece of paper saying i paid this. For the most part if you got a large business (and large bank account) Microsoft will do contracts however this doesn't trickle down to home users.

One time purchase license... pays for itself after 2 years. Cloud storage is overrated and overpriced in this case. Updates? See above. Even Microsoft must realize that if it doesn't support its products with compatibility, it will lose, basically everything. Once someone like me reaches a point where they switch over despite reluctance, it's a death spiral. Why? I'm a good benchmark user, although not perfect. At some point, the abuse will deteriorate the market share. We aren't there yet, but if they keep trying to turn everything into a recurrent fee, we will be eventually. IT departments will either rebel (like sticking to windows 7, as is currently the case) or die. Microsoft is trying to replace IT by making updates automatic, remote, and mandatory. It's their dream anyhow.

One license is $229 per computer. If you are buying for 10 computers you already broke over a cost for a new workstation. This is not including the OS licensing and if you have a windows server or exchange, CAL costs per user or machine. You can argue for switching to a cheaper OS and software but its never gonna be the same and good luck trying to convince clients to work with your compatibility. The end-user system will be forever dominated with Windows or at least Mac.

Microsoft is not going to change anytime soon, they already posted their quarter earnings recently and their Cloud platform is still performing very well. Perpetual licenses will never disappear at least with my career, or at least maybe virtual machines will explode more in popularity.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:59 pm »

If Microsoft can centralize anything under it's paid operations, it will. This includes IT....

License counterargument is ... short term? 10 $10/month subscriptions = $100/month, or $1200/year. Again, 10 $229 licenses is $2290, once. It doesn't scale. 2 years of $1200/year is $2400. With 2 years use, you save at least $110 on your 10 units, more if you use them longer. $1310 saved in 3 years. $2510 in 4 years. Any software program that doesn't last at minimum 4 years isn't worth purchasing, because you'll have to retrain... now that's cost. It's the equivalent of renting instead of owning outright.... It only benefits the landlord in the end. That's why they're called landLORD....

Monthly cost pads Microsoft's bloated undead corpse. O, Microsoft loves it, of course. No one ever argued against that. The US Government failed to dismantle Microsoft.... Go figure. Microsoft continues growth; that being good or bad is a value judgement.

Until there is a better option....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:56:09 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »

You still need someone to manage your services on Microsoft, you tell me how to setup federation through Azure Active Directory and I'll eat my shoe. :P

Alright so lets go back to the original issue, Insight has slightly discounted (14 bucks) for Office 2016 Home and Business. They are a very good software vendor to work with, especially for bulk purchases. Also I recommend to not get into the Microsoft Open License program if they notify you about it, cost is prohibitive for low volume purchases.

http://www.insight.com/en_US/buy/product/T5D-02323/MICROSOFT/T5D-02323/Microsoft-Office-Home-and-Business-2016--license--1-PC/

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »

No, you can thank the NSA's hoarding of exploits, and MS's refusal to support legacy OS with essential patches. (They dont need to retrofit new features, but if people dont want the latest and greatest, they need to either offer people what they want [An operating system that does not hold your computer ransom, or treat you like a child, and which does not have a bunch of bloated shitware running in the background, like those damned "recommended app" placements for their revolting app store that nobody wants to use, and they wont take a hint over.] and give security fixes. I dont want to hear the absurd arguments about money; MS needs to do things more like RedHat does, and offer support contracts for "obsolete" product support.  There are active support contracts form RedHat for 2.6.X kernels!! That is like if MS was offering active support for windows 98SE. People have a need, and RedHat is happy to fill it-- MS should follow that example.)

The thing is, there won't be any new operating systems to go obsolete.
Microsoft's plan is to update Windows 10 forever.
Granted, that leaves a handful of older systems clearing out, but they have essentially found a solution to the problem!
Also it's cross-platform, in this current generation.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 07:35:51 pm »

Constant patching forever, for money.

Constant internet connection, nonexistent privacy, laughable illusion of security, and corporate bull crap always required.
This is what Microsoft wanted to do with Vista, except Vista was so godawful that even re-branding couldn't fix it.

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. Someone needs to make that true.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »

This is what Microsoft wanted to do with Vista, except Vista was so godawful that even re-branding couldn't fix it. 
But Microsoft did it was called Windows 7 :P
Pages: 1 [2]