Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Icarus Starship Command Simulator - FPS FTL and you are the Captain, Barnaby.  (Read 1377 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Given that this game:
- Was released around May 2017
- There's no thread about it
- I found while fiercely looking for space games that may have been under my radar, no matter how bad they look or sound
- There's only 17 reviews on steam as of now and the dev usually has very few views on his youtube videos.

I'm making a thread of it.

This game is a FTL-like, except it's in First Person perspective. Of course, it was made by one guy, and I actually like his sense of humor.
Here's the link. It's damn cheap.
Here's a video on the tutorial - the load times are bad for modern PC standards, but not THAT bad. Feel free to skip to 3:35 where the tutorial starts.
Here's a video of the dev playing it - rather old video.

My first warning is that if you're not an avid fan of such games, the 4:3 resolution (or "experimental", streched 16:9 resolution) with incredibly CPU-bound engine that will lag if your processor is over 4 years old, you should...ignore that and watch a video or try it anyway.

I've played it for an hour or so, and found ways to cheese myself into a bigger ship. This alone made me want to see a thread about it, because I know at least one other person here might like it.
Let me know what you think. I've only been to around 5-6 sectors, so I cannot do a proper comment or review in how the game holds up in later stages. But I'm definitely looking forward to playing more of it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

For four bucks I'd get it if we can find some people.  Might be able to rope my friend in too.
Shoes...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Sorry to let you down, but the game is actually singleplayer.  :-[

I think the dev wanted to have multiplayer, but finishing the singleplayer made he want to wrap it up as the engine's too old.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile

For four bucks I'd get it if we can find some people.  Might be able to rope my friend in too.
Something similar (and MP) is PULSAR: Lost Colony, which is currently $16.24 on Steam (USD). Bit more expensive, but it's fun imho.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.