Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems standing for long periods of time at work  (Read 1205 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Problems standing for long periods of time at work
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:32:21 pm »

Hey, so I've got a bit of a problem.  I work retail in a job where I have to stand at all times aside from breaks.  Partway through all my shifts my legs start to get sore.  It feels like they're kind of heavy and my calf muscles (or whatever that thick lower muscle on the back of the leg is called) starts to hurt.  Its becoming a pretty big problem for me.  Standing still makes it worse; I'd much prefer to walk around rather than be a cashier.  There's little to no heavy lifting involved in most shifts.

The only reason I'm asking you guys is because my doctor has no useful advice and the internet spits out some rare disease about bloodflow.  Also this seems like too big of a question for the small questions thread.  Have any of you had a problem like this and how did you solve it?  I have a few theories.

1: My shoes are bad.
2: I'm out of shape.
3: I don't get enough oxygen because I can't breath through my nose.
4: Everyone gets this and most people just don't complain?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Problems standing for long periods of time at work
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:44 pm »

Standing still for a long time will make everyone's feet sore eventually.
There's things that can make you more susceptible though.
Number one would be flat feet. Wearing the right shoes with proper support can help with that.
Number two would be bad shoes (without flat feet). Again, wearing the right shoes can help you there.

Then there's other things that can worsen it, like having two legs of non identical lenght (much less rare than you'd think), or existing back problems.

Bad circulation is a thing too. Have you been a heavy smoker for 30+ years?

EDIT: for pro-tips, find a Buckingham Palace guard to become internet buddies with
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:21:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »

Do the soles of your feet hurt?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »

Do the soles of your feet hurt?
Rarely.  Mainly when walking on a hardwood floors without shoes or slippers.  Or when walking outside for hours with shoes but I seem to have gotten used to that.  I did the wet footprint test, not sure if I did it right but it seems my feet are a little higher than neutral archers.

Bad circulation is a thing too. Have you been a heavy smoker for 30+ years?
I have not.  My nose is so bad that I've never once in my life blown my nose, does that count?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:06:01 pm »

While I cannot help with the standing problems, I can share a few things re: nose.

From what I understand, you are perpetually congested, as I am. First and obvious advice is to find a medic specializing in the area, of course. But while you don't do that, you may want to do these two things:
1) Blow your damn nose.
2) Lie on your side. I may seem silly, but both sides of the nose are connected, so, thanks to gravity, the mucus will fall towards whichever side is lower. It won't solve the problem, of course, but it'll let you breathe a bit by clearing out half of your nose.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »

I have a deviated septum that's pretty bad.  I literally can't blow my nose.  Its impossible, nothing comes out.  I tried a neti pot and the saline solution couldn't even make it from one nostril to the other (although in one of the nostrils a little of it went down my throat, most of it just came right back out).  I'm going to get surgery for the damn thing, the only reason I mentioned it is because I'm curious if not being able to get any air through my nose could be the culprit.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:29:14 pm »

I don't think your nose has anything to do with your legs.
People get tired of standing over time.  It just happens.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:36:57 pm »

I don't think your nose has anything to do with your legs.
People get tired of standing over time.  It just happens.
this

if you're not used to a retail or fast food job you probably aren't prepared for it. Give it a few weeks and you probably wont notice. You could just start running in your spare time or something and you would probably be over it within a week.

Regardless, no matter how in shape you are, standing around for 8+ hours is going to make your legs sore. That's just how things work.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:59:09 pm »

I'd imagine being overweight or obese could affect standing endurance, if you are either.

Have you perhaps checked OSHA to see if there is any required compliance in employee standing duration of presence of chairs? I don't know if it is likely that you will convince them, but mentioning that it is an issue to your employer might be worth a shot.