Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sentient creature body parts/skeletons  (Read 1069 times)

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
Sentient creature body parts/skeletons
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:49:37 pm »

I think I read somewhere somewhen in the past that Orcs were meant to be able to butcher and use the body parts of sentient creatures too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is it because it's hardcoded or no one has gotten around to doing that? Or maybe I'm doing something else wrong and it has something to with the part laying around (mangled/partial skeletons, teeth, severed limbs, etc.)? That would make sense, but I've noticed that I've got no boar teeth laying around so the reasonable assumption would be that it has to do with the sentient tag. Please help, I'm being overrun by useless clutter and I'd like to avoid using dfhack for anything but a "clean all".
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Sentient creature body parts/skeletons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:36 am »

Sorry but that's a vanilla bug that popped up, it used to be configurable through a change in the civ's ethics but now they won't use anything with a given name in any reaction. Still eligible for necromancy interactions though, so if you have any -mancers lying around the bodies are still useful that way. Or you can get rid of the mess with magma/cave-ins/a bridge, that works too.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:12:44 am »

Fun fact: I was competely wrong and you are 99% right. Many of the bones I thought were of sentient creatures were actually named war leopards and stuff like that, my bad. But then, one of my bonecrafters got a mood and made a cage out of named war leopard bones, so I suppose that if I want them to be useful I just need about 90 more moods so I should be set :D
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:00:01 am »

yeah Its a problem I've tried to get around more than once... Basically any fix to make them usable, requires a DFHack and the race to eat babies...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

yarg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:39:53 am »

I suppose the fact that orcs can't hunt animal men is not part of this bug, but still, is there a chance that this feature will be implemented?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

The problem is everything that is killed gets the dead_dwarf flag.  This script on a corpse stockpile (make sure you have removed all citizen corpses to tombs) will clear the flag.

Code: [Select]
function fixcorpestockpile()
local building = stockpile or dfhack.gui.getSelectedBuilding(true)
if building ~= nil and building:getType() ~= 29 then building = nil end

if building == nil then
error("Select a stockpile")

else
local rootItems = dfhack.buildings.getStockpileContents(building);

if #rootItems == 0 then
error("Select a non-empty stockpile")

else
for i,d in ipairs(rootItems) do
print(i ..":"..dfhack.items.getDescription(d, d:getType())..":")
print(d.flags.dead_dwarf)
d.flags.dead_dwarf = false

end
end
end
end
fixcorpestockpile()
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.