Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Powder Toy  (Read 2124 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
The Powder Toy
« on: June 30, 2017, 04:42:00 am »

The old thread died for this 2 years ago, so I think it should be started anew before I make a comment on it.

The Powder Toy is a lightweight physics sandbox game for Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Android with over 153 different elements (Various types of matter you can place on the game space) and Gravity, Heat, and Air simulation respectively. With these basic building blocks, the possibilities are nearly endless; you can build a city, then blow it up, and put a computer in its place if you like.

Downloads:
Windows
Linux
MacOS
Bleeding Edge (snapshots)
Source Code

What was i going to talk about? oh, right.
I think we all know how intresting the various reactions in the game are, so i decided to document some of the more hard to find ones:
PROT sped up various amounts: HYGN NBLE CO2 OXYG URAN PLUT BHOL, in that order
PHOT + INVS = NEUT
PHOT + HYGN = PROT
PHOT + BIZS (Solid BIZR) = ELEC
... Cant think of many more, tell me if you find some intresting ones :)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: The Powder Toy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:32:55 am »

Tryed. What interesting can tou do here? Everything seems to have only three outcomes:
1. Nothing happens.
2. Something transform in something by obvious reaction.
3. Everything explodes into fiery titan-melting hell.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:18 am »

Tryed. What interesting can tou do here? Everything seems to have only three outcomes:
1. Nothing happens.
Excuse me, what's not interesting in 3 ? Like 90% of my playtime in those games was spent doing that after miserably failing to do some ambitious engineering project, it's the equivalent of turning the lava lever in DF.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »

1. Nothing happens.

Never really found the appeal, myself. It's a toy that you play with for 5 minutes, go "Haha fire", then move on to something else.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »

Do not attempt to build a reactor containment shield using vibranium. It works great, until that one critical moment...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »

I read that as "build a nuclear weapon with vibranium".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:17:13 pm »

Do not attempt to build a reactor containment shield using vibranium. It works great, until that one critical moment...
if you expose it to CFLM, it doesnt explode, instead just releases energy.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:45:52 pm »

This game is a great time waster! I stopped playing as much due to some resolution issues on my old laptop, but damn is it a great little... thing. My contribution to the Powder Toy archives is a fissile matter generator, which used an intense gravity well to turn lighter elements into heavier ones.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 10:17:59 pm »

God I played Falling Sand Games so much when I was younger. They were incredible sandboxes and time wasters. I don't have the time/attention span for these things anymore but it warms my cold heart to see someone posting about it in 2017.

Edit: This is my first post in four years. I still lurk (less than I used to) but I just thought that was of some significance.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 11:00:42 pm »

I used to play this a lot more and then stopped for a while, but I recently took a look at it again. It's really interesting to see all the computer things people have done in the last few years in TPT.

And welcome back Calhoun!
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 02:16:35 am »

Welcome to the light, travel guides are at the counter to your right.

Im personally waiting for the snapshot elements to become offical. t adds 3 new elements,one of (partially) my own design (POLO)