Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Voyageur  (Read 1544 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Let's Play Voyageur
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:38 am »

Voyageur is a mobile game in the vein of Tradewinds or other buy-low-sell-high RPGs. Instead of action or other mechanics that form the substance of those games in the genre, Voyageur instead rely on procedurally generated prose, and an overarching plot. I think it works well. The commerce gameplay helps with it being a good timekiller, since it's mostly brainless but not TOO brainless.

This LP will almost never mention the commerce part because it's not narratively interesting.

The save isn't exactly fresh, with some money saved up from me ending previous runs. But I think that's good enough.

Update 1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My professor used to be a voyageur, a traveler whose ship can move at a speed faster than any human technology. This is by using the Descent device, a strange alien technology of a civilization long dead by the time we colonized the stars. There's one catch: The machine only allows travel towards the centre of the galaxy. It is one-way. Humans have settled the center using the Descent devices, formed outposts and colonized worlds, but I fear we will never truly blossom as a species until we understand the devices.

That was why the professor entrusted his old ship to me. He had been given it from his mentor, who used to be a smuggler, and he felt that our world's scientists had studied enough as they can about the device. Each Descent Device is different, broadcasting different signals. Nobody knows to what ends. Perhaps the only way to find an answer is for me to travel to the center of the galaxy.

Kavita is a friend of mine, we have known each other since we were kids, and both of us wanted to travel far away at some point. No, not with normal FTL, but with a Descent Device. One day, perhaps we'll reach the center. Perhaps over there live a community of voyageurs awaiting the transcendence of mankind.

We got the Descent Device checked one last time, and pay our respects. Good bye, Panipat.

And we run into pirates. Twice. I could dodge them, but we were carrying cheap cargo, and maser hits are expensive to repair, so jettisoning was the cheaper option. Luckily, the planets we stopped in paid us to examinne the Descent device, so that recouped our losses.

We landed on Stuhr, which is just one big city covering a planet. There is much of interest to do here.

Hey, it's an easy investment to make.

We scored a bargain.

I gave a less than strictly true account of my adventure, since they didn't know that I'm a new voyageur.

And then it was time to go.

Most of these storylets are common, so I'm just showing you them for the first time, a lot will be omitted in later updates.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Voyageur
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:43 am »

This was cool to see. I really like the different factions in Voyageur.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:14 am »

Oh, a post. I didn't continue this because as it turns out I finished the game not long after. There's just not enough content for an LP. I still play it from time to time though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »

Yes, though there are different endings, each playthrough isn't that long.