Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset creation and transparencies  (Read 3114 times)

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset creation and transparencies
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:32:26 pm »

I've been working on making a tileset that suits my tastes mostly by ripping things i like out of other tilesets. That works fine until i get to the bit where i want to add new tiles of my own. I try to grab a shade of grey from another tile and it's.. dark grey. Same as any other lighter shade. Obviously it's using some sort of transparency mask but when i check the color in photoshop it's just the grey. and no other alpha blending info or anything to that effect.

For that matter, i notice all of the tilesets have a transparent background to them which, once again, i cannot get the transparency numbers for.

What gives? What am i doing wrong?
Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset creation and transparencies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 01:46:00 am »

I am in no way a pro but in GIMP I occasionally have to set the uh, color profile to the srgb or something like that and add an alpha layer to fix the transparencies.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset creation and transparencies
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:08:18 am »

As far as I know there are no real transparencies and I edited Spacefox for quite awhile... I usually did merge those grey/white pixels onto the other new graphic though(sounds noob but it's been awhile and I'm guessing these terms right now) so maybe that was the transparency for spacefox. I'm pretty sure the default is the pink background? for df but I wouldn't recommend that.