Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Angband v4.1.0/Angband.live  (Read 16043 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Angband v4.1.0/Angband.live
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2019, 05:00:38 pm »

When i try it on an artifact i always have a "you're not famous enough" when the artifact is good.
when the artifact is terribly weak i can but if i select the other item to add its bonus to the original artifact i only end "your item is too powerfull" (and as it's an elven cloak that only add a small bonus to minor things stealth and searching i imagine you're not really going to create better artifacts than you already have), probably too nerfed as a feature to be usefull.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2019, 06:48:57 pm »

From my understanding Composband is a fork of a variant (PosChengband) of a variant of a variant ... etc...

during the course of the many variants lots of jokes stuff has been added, and they end into Composband.
Most can be funny (i liked the Variant Maintainer unique and his Software Bugs summons breeding fast) some not so much unfortunately.

But i ran into one that was rather elaborated, the character Rolento from old Street Fighter Alpha 2/Zero 2 that apparently was added (along some other character from the street fighter serie) in Hengband (a japanese variant of Zangband).
For people that may be too young to remember, that street fighter character is jumping around a lot (and move fast), throw grenades and strikes with some a baton.

Important to know because in Composband that unique actually use the same type of behaviour (jump around the zone you're in, throw instant grenades, throw a carpet of grenades that explode after a few turns etc...) , i was very impressed to see all the effort the coder did to implement these stuff and tactics for that character considering it's just a joke. Can't wait to see if he did such effort for the other street fighters characters in the dungeons

Too bad Rolento wasn't prepared to face my character with his very nice recently acquired artifact spear (i play with 100% randomized artifacts instead of using the fixed ones, so the fixed ones are actually given different brands/bonuses) a drop from Hagen (the character that comes from the Siegfried mythology)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not the heaviest damaging weapon i have in term of dices, but it is one handed (so allow for a nice ego/artifact shield and so more bonuses) and the bonuses actually make up a lot to increase damage as thanks to it i killed some uniques that my best damaging weapon couldn't.

EDIT : in case you enable the auto picker/destroyer then wants to turn it back to off for whatever reason, maybe there's an easy way when in Composband but i couldn't find it.
So if there's no ingame method, just go to
...\YourComposbandDirectory\lib\user\

And delete the file "pickpref-YourCharacterName.prf" , so the next time you launch Composband it's back to how it originally was, the auto picker/destroyer isn't enabled .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:56:59 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2019, 09:04:36 am »

Because

That @$^%& Black Bat

That @$^%& Black Bat

That @$^%& Black Bat

That @$^%& Black Bat

Flying all around, constantly summon seas of dragons, ancient dragons etc... can steal your best items ... a good time to remember you have to always bring teleport scrolls with you and then word of recall , hoping next time the dungeon regen that floor this damned thing will not be spawned there again :D

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2019, 09:41:43 am »

Is this a reference to something?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2019, 09:52:24 am »

Honestly i have no idea, but it sure is a very annoying unique with the tons of dragons it summons while keeping away (dragons of every types, so there at least 1 that will deal a damage type you aren't very protected , or not at all, against at that point of the game, hurting then a very lot each turns).

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:04 am »

Is this a reference to something?
The Atari 2600's Adventure comes to mind.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2019, 09:02:30 am »

I had never played this game until actually spotting it in the Spielberg movie, oh the nostalgia i was less than 10 years old :D
http://www.warrenrobinett.com/ecv/adv_emu1/

more recent reference, it looks like Gill is fighting with M.Bison in Composband
didn't turned out very well for M.Bison that got destroyed.

I guess the mark of my character dignity scared his dna :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:07:32 am by Robsoie »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:23 am »

There's a new version of poschengband. Bit of a surprise, but hey a good surprise. I'm not a fan of many of the changes, but that's just my personal opinion.

https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/project-updates

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Angband variants table
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 04:11:54 pm »

To understand Angband variants (to 'feel' this phenomenon) and to find interesting ideas for my variant, I've started research at different web-resources (Roguebasin, oook, The Angband Variant Repository). It's great websites, but as there are so many variants - I thought it will be fun to bring all needed information and links to _one_ web-page; so you do not need to walk through hundreds of hyperlinks to get all basic information about variants. So I've combined all these sources under one table at my website:

https://tangaria.com/variants/

There are only two fields - name (with the link to source) and description; so you could read everything without clicking around while drinking a cup of tea

It's a draft for now, but I'll maintain it and will make it up-to-date in time

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 04:27:21 pm »

Thanks for this, it's interesting to read.
I knew there was a lot of Angband variant, but i didn't thought there was so many of them.

For the description of FrogComposband, from a player point of view the major difference with Composband is that FrogComposband features a huge amount of varied options/birth options to customise the game while Composband has much less of them.
Another difference is that supposedly Composband has more dungeons in the world map than in FrogComposband , but i haven't yet played Frog enough to find how much.

edit : oh and noticed there's a new version of the very good FrogComposband for those interested that landed in the end of february :
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9871
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:32:16 pm by Robsoie »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Angband variants table
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:03 pm »

To understand Angband variants (to 'feel' this phenomenon) and to find interesting ideas for my variant, I've started research at different web-resources (Roguebasin, oook, The Angband Variant Repository). It's great websites, but as there are so many variants - I thought it will be fun to bring all needed information and links to _one_ web-page; so you do not need to walk through hundreds of hyperlinks to get all basic information about variants. So I've combined all these sources under one table at my website:

https://tangaria.com/variants/

There are only two fields - name (with the link to source) and description; so you could read everything without clicking around while drinking a cup of tea

It's a draft for now, but I'll maintain it and will make it up-to-date in time

Thank you so much for this!

I've enjoyed Sil, Sangband, and some other variants for many years. Your compilation of the different variants' links is a great thing. I don't know if you want to have multiple website links for each of the variants, but if you do... http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »

Robsoie, thanks :) Added info about birth options.

Uthimienure, link added, thanks for the idea. It will be fun to add not only link to source, but also to website (if any)

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2021, 05:19:08 pm »

Past Shtuky stream @ ASCII Angband (roguelike game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQedJGJj6qY

It was H-O-O-O-T! :D Next stream will be at next evening! ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]