Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shields and Removing Helmets  (Read 957 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shields and Removing Helmets
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:42:00 pm »

So, a while ago the combat AI gained the ability to remove helmets from their opponents if they found that their weapon wasn't able penetrate their head armor. This was done to prevent a solider from just constantly beating fruitlessly at a prone opponent with their iron axe just because the opponent happened to be wearing a steel helmet. Makes sense.

An issue arises from shields however. If the attacking solider in question is wielding a shield, they aren't considered to have a free grasp to perform the helmet removing action - leading to the aforementioned useless wailing situation. And now that the average solider properly wears all their gear, this issue is even more exasperated. The helmet removing action basically never occurs naturally.

So I propose that either shields aren't considered when the game is looking for a grasp to perform the action, or the AI just sheaths the shield to perform the action. Just something so a solider with a shield can actually properly take out their opponent with their weapon as intended.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Shields and Removing Helmets
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:40:45 pm »

Or they could sheathe their weapon...

But honestly, this sounds more like a bug report than a full suggestion, since I'm pretty sure that shields stopping dwarves from performing an action they are supposed to take is an oversight, not a feature.  If you can get a save demonstrating the behavior, why not try throwing it up on DFFD, and then reporting this as a bug on Mantis.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:27:47 am »

I guess this'd also apply to other items like mugs & cups that dwarves continuously cling onto preventing that action as well

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:46 pm »

I guess this'd also apply to other items like mugs & cups that dwarves continuously cling onto preventing that action as well

Hey, careful man! There is a beverage here!