Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 52473 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forge
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:43 pm »

I feel your mook-related pain Derpy Dev.  In Simple Fortress, someone did the exact same thing. I understand calling them moods if they have no useful skills at all, but I found a bunch of "mooks" with useful skills, including not a few legendaries. And a few less-useful skilled mooks, but it is still nice to know specifically if it is a bowyer, as opposed to just saying "mook".

The worst part is that, for no reason I can possibly place, the majority of the fort are legendary observers. So everybody's tile is flashing because they all have a legendary skill.

So you know that large cavern area that got turned to ash? Good news everyone, it's finally regrowing!

Classic Human is still on fire after multiple months, just in case you are wondering. I've never seen one book smoke for so long...

So I built a little room for the cave spiders. Basically it's just a little hole filled with cage traps. I do this because in my experience, the only things that go crazy after becoming semi-wild are the ones big enough to take on a lot of dwarves, and since these guys are so hard to train, it doesn't hurt to be safe does it?

I just looked and realized that my artifact bed has an image of itself on it. I don't know why these things still surprise me  ;)

The gig is up my friends.

I was willing to accept that something miscellaneous happened to The Handsome One. But here I am, gazing upon evidence that he didn't die naturally, he was murdered. I don't know who is responsible for this travesty, but I have one thing to say.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:07 am »

Darn it, BUSTED!

When I was digging out the FB containment trap the ceiling fell on a miner, I didn't realize it was him until now though.
since... one dwarf death was not significant I didn't bother to report it.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2017, 10:07:26 am »

Darn it, BUSTED!

When I was digging out the FB containment trap the ceiling fell on a miner, I didn't realize it was him until now though.
since... one dwarf death was not significant I didn't bother to report it.

...Derpy Dev has been triggered. Derpy Dev.exe has stopped working.

Derpy Dev has been angered, and Puppyguard will know the true meaning of pain.

Revenge will be sweet on the day it comes.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:51 pm »

Operation Begins: Make Puppyguard Suffer

So it isn't enough to just kill him. That would be too easy. I must make him suffer as I have, and cause him to lose a lover.

First off, I have to see if he is currently single. He is, and to make things better he worships the goddess of justice Babin. How hilariously appropriate. Next, use DFhack gaydar to see if he is straight. He is. So I just need to find a straight woman within ten years of his age, marry them, then murder her. I was wanting a way to test this new trap design anyway.

I found a woman who will be wed to Puppyguard! She is 66 years old, which is only 6 away from Puppyguard's 72. She is straight, she has been renamed Puppytreat, and she will die. We aren't losing much, only another legendary observer, of which we have plenty, and a high master fish cleaner, which is effectively useless without a river. That makes her as useless as can be, which in turn makes me very happy.

These magma crabs keep giving birth in their cages. We should do something with them...

For the marriage chamber, I am making ten of the most romantic statues I can think of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has begun. I have turned off the library, tavern and church so Puppyguard and Puppytreat will always be in their respective rooms when not eating. And would you look at that, their rooms are directly adjacent to one another...

Hey, some of those trees that started growing in the underground tree farm have become actual trees. I'm gonna wait to give chopping orders until some more grow though.

And here I was thinking we were fresh out of werebeasts. Hello my smelly friend. I took the emergency action that is pulling the lever and locking her outside, unfortunately she killed the dwarf who spotted her though. Even more unfortunate is that she left the map without dying. Dang it.

Puppyguard seems to be very resistant to the idea of marriage, as neither he nor Puppytreat have spent much time in their bedrooms. Just marry her already, it's been a freaking month dude. Even more confusing is how they keep going to pray at the disabled church. I set the zone to inactive, do I have to delete it as well?

That seems to have fixed it. I deleted the zones and now they are spending more time in their rooms and just being idle in general. Perfect.

So this is a glitch that I was unaware of until now, but you know Tun right? That dwarf who got mauled to death by a were skunk? Well for some reason they aren't entombing her corpse and are telling me she is missing. Even after they moved her corpse to the corpse stockpile. So I'm just gonna have to engrave a slab and hope for the best.

Tun was finally found dead. I don't know why that took so long but okay.

Might as well show you that FB trap I built. You see these impulse ramps?

This is a similar design as the Hell's Bastions I built in Windlock, for anybody reading that. A floor grate is built above the ramps, with a minecart on top. At the pull of a lever the cart falls onto the impulse ramps, sending it flying along the tracks to collide with the FB while full of rocks. They each average at 1300 Urists, so they definitely have enough force to cause significant damage to an FB if it doesn't kill it outright.

Here are the floor grates and levers exactly one Z level above. The levers work as you'd expect, the top one activates the top HB and the bottom one activates the bottom HB. That human soldier you see there is a little fort life hack, I have a special squad called HB Duty set to have one guy stationed there at all times. In case of FB invasion, I lock the doors leaving him inside and set his squad to inactive, leaving him off duty and capable of pulling the lever immediately. This is only set up for the HB's at the moment.

So Hun, my favorite forum user, mind doing me a favor at your turn? The problem I've made myself is that I only have about five months left until autumn, the end of my turn. That is not enough time to get Puppytreat and Puppyguard from friendly terms to lover. That means that by the time they marry, I won't be in control of the fort, you will. So... I built this as a bribe in hopes that you'll murder Puppytreat when the time comes.

Pretty please  :D

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2017, 11:13:36 pm »

uhh...
Okay...
pls don't send me cave exploring

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2017, 11:25:52 pm »

uhh...
Okay...
pls don't send me cave exploring

Relax, I'm not gonna break the unspoken rule against killing dorfings. I'll just break your heart instead.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2017, 10:34:35 pm »

So I noticed that Zazq has been in love with a farm girl since the beginning of this fort, so I decided to make a pre-honeymoon suite for them as well. Not all love has to be about revenge.

Not much has happened in about thirty minutes of play so far. Some guy in a mood needed a bowyer's workshop, so I built right next to the carpenter's workshop. Dunno why we didn't already have on of those. Other than that, I might as well show the new slab chamber.

You frickedy fracking idiot.

Really? A blowgun? A bloody freaking blowgun? Screw you Tulon, screw you.

I'll end this short one off by saying two things: first, I'll finish this tomorrow, so be ready for that Hun, second, Classic Human is still on fire.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:48 pm »

Maybe you should put classic human out in case someone dodges into it and catches on fire.

A simple way would to be designate a pit/pond zone above it and set it to pond.
Hopefully that should put it out.

If it's still on fire during my turn I'll just assume it's some sort of monument.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2017, 12:13:28 pm »

Maybe you should put classic human out in case someone dodges into it and catches on fire.

A simple way would to be designate a pit/pond zone above it and set it to pond.
Hopefully that should put it out.

...nah. It's been on fire so long that it'd basically be a sin catch it out. Plus the water we have on the map is quite limited, we have the one cave pond that can't refill because it's not connected to the edge and that's it. Also I don't think I ever showed you what it looks like:

It's basically a romantic comedy.

Also, I took the liberty of breeding ostriches and camels. The ostrich eggs are being incubated now and we already have one camel calf. I also expanded the farm plot, giving us twice as much room to grow crops in.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:11 pm »

So Hun, my favorite forum user, mind doing me a favor at your turn? The problem I've made myself is that I only have about five months left until autumn, the end of my turn. That is not enough time to get Puppytreat and Puppyguard from friendly terms to lover. That means that by the time they marry, I won't be in control of the fort, you will. So... I built this as a bribe in hopes that you'll murder Puppytreat when the time comes.

Sure, will be done! How can I refuse after that great surface praise...
Maybe I should find a bride for my dorfing as well if he doesn't have one yet. Never did this kind of stuff before, time to learn something.

For the book, I think we should make nice room with pedestal for it. We can use it as our own analogue of Olympic fire. With a bit of literature taste in it.

I'm now travelling and doesn't have much time to play, but I really want to go back to Traphorses to see what's going on there. So, I either have to ask Derpy Dev for a favor of having 2 weeks turn, or just play a short turn, maybe a couple of months. Whatever guys suits you best.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2017, 12:58:56 pm »

Sure, will be done! How can I refuse after that great surface praise...
Maybe I should find a bride for my dorfing as well if he doesn't have one yet. Never did this kind of stuff before, time to learn something.

For the book, I think we should make nice room with pedestal for it. We can use it as our own analogue of Olympic fire. With a bit of literature taste in it.

I'm now travelling and doesn't have much time to play, but I really want to go back to Traphorses to see what's going on there. So, I either have to ask Derpy Dev for a favor of having 2 weeks turn, or just play a short turn, maybe a couple of months. Whatever guys suits you best.

Take your time. I've gone well over the one week limit this time out of sheer laziness, at least you have a legit reason. Also...

meme thanks

If you need help on dwarf shipping the DFwiki page on marriage explains it pretty well.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »

Spoiler: Rip Puppytreat (click to show/hide)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »

Spoiler: Rip Puppytreat (click to show/hide)

That is an accurate representation of my thought process if I ever saw one.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2017, 11:06:04 pm »

First off, there's a lot of vomit on the walls cause I sent the dwarves outside to build the bribe. I used DFhack to clean everything again.

I built some floor hatches that hopefully will fix the magma crab problem. There were some upward staircases directly over the magma sea that I covered up with forbidden hatches.

Also Hun, your dwarf is actually already married and has a daughter, though the mother is dead. I had a slab engraved to find out what happened. Says she, and I'm quoting here, "Died after colliding with an obstacle, slain by the crundle Bulbousserpents in the year 505." Did a crundle throw her or something? What happened there?

What the heck? Who is this heretic that dares to replace Hun as mayor? Kubuk? Bah, you are not my concern. Soon you will face the wrath of the one you offended, but that man is not me. You are for Hun to deal with.

Hey there. One last FB before I have to throw in the towel? I'm okay with that.

It doesn't seem to want to head into the fort right now, just chilling in the cavern pool at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it.

Actually this new mayor may prove to be quite annoying. Preference wise she likes coins, so she might mandate a bunch of those, which we aren't allowed to build in case you forgot. No smelting means no coins, and a coin loving mayor means trouble.

Mwahahaha Puppytreat and Puppyguard fell in love. I'm still gonna wait till they marry, which might be excessive at this point if I'm gonna be honest. Though that FB does make a convenient way to get her killed... Nah, I already promised Hun he could do it. And I think that FB is just gonna sit there until autumn.

Wait did they just marry? I swear they only fell in love like a month ago... that was quick. I dunno if it's rude for me to kill her now, since I let Hun... I still have a month and a half left, so I certainly have time... hmm...

Nah, I'm gonna use basic etiquette and let someone else kill her. I can't have all the fun!

Hey, we have a litter of baby cave spiders, three of them!

Okay, I'm kinda confused about how Puppytreat and Puppyguard went from lovers to married in about a month or two but Zazq and Morul have been lovers since before the Puppies even knew each other and still aren't married even though they are in a pre-honeymoon sweet as well.

I'm gonna end my year prematurely by one month because I'm out of time in the day. It's pretty late here and I should get to bed already. So I'm gonna upload the save but I need to say a couple of things first.

1. Zutu the toad FB is still in the caves. Watch it like a hawk.
2. I closed down the library, inn and temple so I could get the pre-honeymoon sweets working. That way the dwarves you're shipping are always in the same room together. But you need to remember to re-open them when you're done shipping.
3. I left you a surprise by the trade depot. It should be obvious.
4. Puppytreat is still alive. KILL HER.
5. And last but not least, you have been replaced as mayor by Kubuk Hun. Kill her if you want to.

Save

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2017, 03:39:22 pm »

Great. Maybe I should send Kubuk and Puppytreat to kill that FB? In the best case, I would kill three birds with one stone.

As I said before, there may be a lag before I actually have some time to play.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27