Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 52451 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »

there is only 1 cavern layer btw.  however i made sure that our map contained cavern water and at least 1 adamantine vein. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:17 am »

So it turns out that the temple is named, "The Convent of Blood." Yeah that's normal.

So, we are digging the path down to the first cavern layer on layer 8. A bridge has been built and connected to a lever as an emergency wall against Forgotten Beasts. Said lever has been labeled, "Underworld Bridge."

Here we go, first cave!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They keep trying to reload the stone traps instead of the cage traps, so that might be problematic.

And new migrants as well! That bumps the population up to 33. The only real notable ones are two new miners, a couple of traders, and a high master pump operator. They did bring an annoyingly large amount of grazing livestock though.

Okay we already have a bunch of troglodytes. Ugh. Can't eat them, they aren't aggressive... What's the point!

A human bard decided to petition for citizenship in the last segment of dwarven civilization. Okay then sir, get hired.

So if I have to deal with being in charge, Zaz Quell has to be in charge of the items. He is now bookkeeper.

And a butcher was possessed by unknown forces and decided to make this... interesting relic.

Oh ****!

The local wereporcupine named Bora decided to sneak in and I didn't notice. Dig4 is there and noticed him at Lemme Smash. With no other choice, I pull the lever. Pulling the levers does nothing, and Bora pursues Dig4 but luckily loses him. Shortly afterwards he transforms back into a human.

Huzzah! One of those stone traps I complained about took him out! I now have a corpse to clean. Obviously the easy option is to atom smash his corpse. Wait... what happened to the lever? Okay, the lever seems to have spontaneously exploded. That's a problem.

That's pretty much the end of spring. I'll continue that madness later. I think I accidentally destroyed our defense with that lever? Maybe?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:31 pm »

what? 

down on the first stone layer was a lever, just north of the entrance spiral.  It was connected to the 3 raising bridges up on the layer near the surface. and a 1x1 retracting bridge just next to the lever.  You set the lever on repeat and all the bridges go up and down smashing things.  the 1x1 bridge is there so that you can see what state the bridges are in without having to change levels.  It had a labling note on the lever. 

did you deconstruct it instead of pull it?  that's like our main defense man.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 04:00:14 pm »

what? 

down on the first stone layer was a lever, just north of the entrance spiral.  It was connected to the 3 raising bridges up on the layer near the surface. and a 1x1 retracting bridge just next to the lever.  You set the lever on repeat and all the bridges go up and down smashing things.  the 1x1 bridge is there so that you can see what state the bridges are in without having to change levels.  It had a labling note on the lever. 

did you deconstruct it instead of pull it?  that's like our main defense man.

I think I made a typo. I meant to press c to cancel an order, but pressed x. That is the only way this makes sense.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 07:43:34 pm »

It was a horrifying moment when the undead came. I panicked. They had come. We weren't ready. I just destroyed our only defense by accident, and they came now of all times? I was afraid. I was already walling off the entrance, afraid that my efforts were in vain...

Then a monarch butterfly person marched in in front of a hoard of undead, waved, and left. I think this was a warning. I'm gonna fix that lever now.

As I was fixing said lever, three necromancers tried to sneak in but ran as soon as they were noticed. They were pretty close to the mangled corpse of that were porcupine, glad that his head was crushed so he can't be reanimated.

Dang it... these crundles are pretty annoying without good weapons. There are too many of them and they keep rushing through the cage traps. Oh well. We can tame them and then eat them.

The invasion continues as three crundles sit right at the entrance of the cave. All out war will start when someone gets around to loading those cage traps.

The fun thing about crundles is how weak they are compared to literally everyone... these dwarves are just killing them left and right.

Another bard joined the fort. His name was Clutchedchip. Which is pretty much the worst name ever. Still better than Robustrouted though, which happens to be the name of the other bard.

Alright, this crundle situation is getting out of hand. A carpenter by the name of Ilral just got seriously injured, and I don't have soap yet. Dang. Gonna get to work on a well next time, but I don't have time to continue anymore for now. Maybe I'll do a bit more tonight and finish summer.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:32 pm »

So reading through his injuries a second time, it turns out that Ilral was not harmed as badly as I thought he was. His lung was bruised, but besides that he was mostly just bitten in several places. Didn't even draw blood. Still, wells are important, and we need to get a water source.

Yet another Bard joins, this one is named Xah Reignfloors. Yup. That's the last visitor I'm letting join, unless we get a warrior of course.

Another migrant wave bumps us up to 43. I wish I could say someone interesting showed up besides a new mechanic. Though 9 beds is no longer enough and I'm making a lazy bedroom chamber.

Alright, a well area has been constructed. I hear what you're saying though: what about an actual well? Nah. I even went out of my way to submerge a bridge that can be used as a wall against FBs. I'll build a well later.

I took another dwarf that happened to be a novice organizer, named him Mr Busy, and made him the manager. Don't like that name? Tough. It's Mr Busy now.

Figured I should showcase the new atom smasher.

And I know what you're thinking: "Derpy Dev, you incredibly attractive mastermind, that's FOUR NEW LEVERS." That's right. One is for the cave bridge, one is for the surface bridge, one is for the well bridge and one is for the atom smasher. Don't worry, I've labeled them with shift+N. Now it's time to wipe all of that stuff in the corpse stockpile from existence before we get besieged by reanimated crundle scales.

Just as autumn hit and I was about to leave, a hoard of undead arrived, with a necro that decided to reanimate the crundle scales I was too slow to deal with. ****.

All right, everyone inside. We're closing up shop until they leave.

As all the random assorted crundle bits all ganged up on a single camel, I have to admit I felt a bit bad for the poor thing. I cried for the FPS as well.

Most of the undead were atom smashed, just like I should have done a while ago. But a couple of crundle scales slipped through and proceeded to beat a suicidal human lasher that tried to leave at the wrong time to death.

All right, I made a mistake. I forgot to link the bridge up front to it's corresponding lever. Luckily I noticed and that lasher is keeping the undead busy, so I can fix this before it is too late.

Things keep reanimating on the surface, but I see no necros above. Presumably he snuck in, but I can't find him...

All right, the gate is closed, that poor lasher is unconscious and over exerted from being pummeled by scales for over 50 combat pages, and the dwarves are locked underground. This is fine.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 09:56:21 pm »

So last time I posted, three crundle scales were mercilessly pummeling a single human.

As the chaos was ensuing, merchants arrived. Oh god.

All right, they killed the crundle scales! That poor lasher left immediately, and probably won't be coming back for a while.

New migrants, bumped us up to 49 dwarves.

So... We're capturing a lot of untamable cavern beasts, mostly troglodytes. I'm pretty low on ideas about what to do with them. Hmm... the only idea I really have would be too make a massive tower and drop them off of the roof of it. But we need to do something with them so we can reclaim our cages.
By the way, forgot to mention this last time, but somebody made an artifact mechanism during the undead siege.

So... sadly it does not appear that my dream of building a throne room out of obsidian in the magma sea is gonna happen. The only cavern water on the map is not close enough to the edge to refill from off screen water sources, and there is only one cavern layer. So sadly, this dream does not appear like it can be a reality.

As I was writing this, a cold wind rushed over me. Winter had come.

Built another room on layer 8, specifically to house a loom and clothiers workshop.

Boom. Well built using the artifact mechanism.

Geeeeeeeeeeez.

I looked away for one second, and Zazq was beating a cave crocodile in a fight with minimal injury. Seriously, some of the reports say that its bites, "lightly tapped," him. Said cave crocodile survived the conflict and was caught in a cage trap, giving us a breeding pair.

And now we shall feed off of cave crocodile eggs. Not gonna forbid any of them because I'm pretty sure Zazq would actually kill me if I let a crocsplosion happen, and this recent incident has proven that he can.

One of the miners made an artifact obsidian door. We have a lot of doors here, so maybe we can place that in a random hallway. I'll let someone else decide where though.

The crundle war has begun again, this time with naked mole dogs thrown into the mix. They are actually attacking the crundles and making my job easier, so... I won't complain.

This is why I built a cavern bridge and well bridge.

So... ****. It got in. It is really fast. It proceeded to rip apart everyone. Everyone ganged up on it and beat it to death, but not before everyone inhaled its poisonous fumes. Said fumes causing everybody to rot alive.

Yeah... if there was ever a time to save scum, now is that time. The game autosaved before winter. So... should I just turn back the clock and pass the turn?

I have to copies of the game now: one were the forgotten beast came in, one where it winter just begun. Tell me what to do. We probably can make a turnaround... but most of the dwarves here are still gonna die. Or we can just go back to the end of autumn. Your choice guys.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 12:51:51 pm »

the only 2 dwarves that matter are zaz quell and queen derpy.  if they aren't rotting, or are going to survive the rotting, let's just keep going.  fuck the rest of those guys we can get more.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 02:28:48 pm »

the only 2 dwarves that matter are zaz quell and queen derpy.  if they aren't rotting, or are going to survive the rotting, let's just keep going.  fuck the rest of those guys we can get more.

Yeah, neither of our dorfings are dead or rotting. Neither are our lovers, which is also good. But we are still ten dwarves shy of what we used to have, and an untold number of others are rotting.

I made a hospital zone for all the rotting, and none of them can see. At all. There is more miasma then I have ever seen in one place in DF.

But... after a relatively short time, the doctors got there butts into gear and started working on the rotting situation. The only ones left in the hospital are the ones that require immobilization. Need to make a traction bench or two or ten.

Can't find any dwarven corpses anywhere. Just none. Presumably they all rotted into dust, so we're engraving slabs.

EDIT: found them in the surface corpse stockpile.

And that's my year's end. Time make some screenshots.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:30:28 pm by Derpy Dev »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 02:47:35 pm »

Layer five is where we are dealing with the animals and levers, this includes the butcher and tanner workshops and the two pet cave crocodiles. The atom smasher is here as well.

The staircase that leads to the well is on Layer 6.

Layer 7 houses the new bedroom area and hospital, as well as a small corridor that I made for the slabs and coffins below the temple.

Layer 8 houses the random nonsense stockpile, the area I made for cloth, and the hallway the forgotten beast came through. Don't pull the bridge lever unless you want to reopen cavern access.

All Layer 9 has is a few blood splatters.

Layer 13 is where the cavern is. The only way to get in besides the lever is through the well, which might be immune to FBs anyway because of the artifact parts.

And on Layer 14 we have the well.

Below that is the cavern water I have tapped into, as well as the bridge wall that can be raised to block it off. Haven't pulled it, but we probably should if an FB comes.

Oh well. It's Hun's turn now. Here's the save, go get yourself a Dorfing and hope he doesn't die.

DAH SAVE

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »

Cool, thanks Derpy Dev. I also agree with zazq that it is better not to savescum, unless there are no other ways to to save the fortress.
I expect to do my turn during the week.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:43 pm »

And so, I'm again the manager of the fortress!

And the first goal, to deal with those poor rotten guys. I designated a new hospital, and tried to provide it with all required supply. It is located at layer -7. We still have no powders and soap though.

I made a lot of splints, since the injured by fumes required immobilization of all limbs. They were literally covered by splints, I've seen a guy with 7 splints at once. But eventually, they all left the hospital. They look terrible, to say the least:
And we have about a dozen of such survivors. They seem to have no difficulties in working and no troubled in any other way, except that they all are blind.

All dead guys were buried in cemetery, the same layer -7. I placed all engraved slabs there as well.

By some reasons, Traphorses attracts huge amount of visitors:
And most of them ask for residence. I approve all petitions, so we have something like ~15 bards in the tavern. I hope they all will become citizens at the end, so we can use them in more useful ways.
On the positive side, we also have 6 mercenaries. They are not very well equipped, but are trained a bit and have metal weapon. I placed barracks near entering to the caves, layer -8. As the militia commander I chose the killer of FB, she also possesses the best military skills among all dwarves. I named her "Blind Commando".

We don't have access to the metals, but we can at least produce some bone/leather armor. The guy named "Bones Leather" was designated to this, he started working on the first pieces of bone equipment.

During the summer, we had a siege of undeads. Their forces were quite small and got smashed easily (no necromants were seen), but the "siege" tag stuck again. I'm unlucky with that. I ordered militia to kill wren recruit and monarch butterfly girl, who were counted as invaders, but that didn't help. Well, including all residents, we have 75 persons now, so probably it is not an issue to wait a year.  Would be nice to have caravans though.

I looted all vegetation from the caverns, mainly to refill wood stock and to get pig tail seeds. We can do textile now.

Otherwise, nothing important, I added some new stockpiles. One new artifact, an obsidian throne, incrusted with amethysts.

It is autumn now. I have no interesting ideas to implement, but I will come up with something.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »

I've been testing out my bladed minecart traps in my own fortresses and they are pretty good at chopping everything smaller than a yak to pieces. Want me to post screenshots? I have created a method that activates them at the pull of a lever without power.

Actually, scratch that. Turning undead into smaller undead is probably a bad idea.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »

At the end I didn't add anything interesting, I just continued to work on industries. I placed all kinds of new workshop zones here and there, we can do soap now, we have jewellery workshops, etc.

I've made a huge soil chamber on levels -1 through -4, for growing trees. On second thought, it was a bad idea, since it can increase lags, and we don't need much wood anyway, since we don't use forges. But it is too late, it is almost finished. Maybe we can pave it with stone later, or put some kind of huge art installation. I don't know.

New rooms for nobles at layer -6:
They are are assigned to Zaz Quell, me, our mayor and Blind Commando.

Zaz Quell made an artifact, congratulations.
An obsidian scepter with obsidian spikes.

I tried to equip properly our military squad, but it is not easy. Many human mercenaries dropped their weapon by unclear reasons, and do not want to wear leather/bone armor (I made it human size, and put "replace clothes" as well). Well, they are emergency meat shield anyway, our main hope is our traps.

We've catched male and female giant moles, I decided to breed them a bit for meat and hides. They live only 2-3 years, which guarantees fast growing up.

It is spring now. Keep in mind that cave entrance is open.

SAVE

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »

Good job Hun! I don't think we really need more traps other than atom smashers right now anyway.

Your turn to play Puppyguard!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27