Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 52237 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:12 pm »

1. She. Pikachu17's dwarfing is a girl.

2. As for the plan to get her bitten by a werebeast in an attempt to drive her crazier, you know why we're doing this right? I could have sworn I explained this already.

As for the weregecko -- I went away from the game for some time, and so I forgot to note down the name of the possibly infected dwarf when I came back..... I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiine.

The mad queen stares in utter shock for a good few minutes before making a straight b-line towards her panic room. "I'll be in my bunker."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 12, 2017, 10:40:00 pm »

Autumn has come and with it comes another update!

These past two months have been slower than the first, what with the wildfire and werebeast and whatnot. Most of the work that has been accomplished has simply been digging and smoothing the various chambers.

"But bloop_bleep, why are you smoothing them? It doesn't really matter!"

DOES MY MENTAL WELL-BEING MATTER TO YOU? DOES IT?

*ahem*

I have also started to build walls to prepare for placing the hanging doors/floodgates.

(You can also see the water reservoir, with all the pressure plates built and linked up.)

I have also dug out and smoothed the lever room for the 3D printer.

I did the math, and building all the levers and linking them up is going to take almost 700 mechanisms. I have queued an infinite order to prepare, but I'm not sure it'll be enough. (Do we even have 700 stones?)

I also did some wrangling with Machine 1 -- specifically, I was trying to find a way to make sure the minecart stops in the right places, since even the lowest roller setting is too fast. I tried putting track stops down, but apparently neither rollers nor pressure plates could be built on top of track stops. I found a way to make it work eventually, though, so I'm happy.

Progress on the pumps continues slowly, mainly because of a quirk with ramps (ramps only work when they're next to a wall, not a raised floor) that was causing pathing issues. I tried building stairs from above but a stone was on the tile where I was supposed to designated an up stair, and since my dwarves couldn't path to the tile yet to remove the stone, I couldn't build the stair. I then tried building stairs from below, in the caverns, but it's considerably slower since my dwarves have to walk much longer.

As the surface power array, I currently have 8 out of 9 windmills. The machinery is currently active, but I haven't linked up the pump stacks yet so I might need more power.

My goals to attain by winter:
  • Completely dig and smooth out all chambers.
  • Almost finish pump stacks.
  • Complete at least the hanging doors.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. I decided to mine into Ludosm's old room to loot the bodies.

I mean, we can't just let it go to waste, right?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2017, 09:33:11 am »

So you've decided to use walls instead of downstairs.

Very well.

But, bloop_bleep, with the pattern you build walls in, you're going to have trouble with building the rest of walls. Already, the one in NE corner is suspended indefinitely and needs to have one adjacent tile deconstructed.

And good point on mechanism number - at 1 job a day, it's going to take over two years. Might be better to hyperoptimize stone industry for just rock mechanisms beforehand. Doors and floodgates could be made from glass, perchance.

I wonder if any of the bards had any last thoughts of note to note. No writing materials, sadly.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:29 am »

Wait wait wait wait.... you can build stuff on top of downstairs?
When did this happen?
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:16 am »

Oh, I also released some magma crabs.
In the booze stockpile or tree farm? Or both?

(The crabs probably got to making crabs immediately too.)

Still, nice progress bloop_bleep. For the hanging doors and floodgates, have a tip: You can dig downstairs into natural floor, floor it over, build your floodgate/door/pressure plate/etc, and then quickly mass-deconstruct all floors to replace them with downstairs that water can pass through, but that you can still walk over to link things to buildings.

Linking, though...is still going to be annoying though, depending on setup. Maybe best not to wait with it until the whole thing is finished, since then you have 450 item long list to scroll through, but just do it line by line last 15 items every time (can't link all doors up in 1 paused segment anyway since operated by mechanisms blocks movement.)

No idea if bloop_bleep will see this post instead of having me on ignore, though, since they didn't see the one I'm quoting :v

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2017, 10:10:07 am »

Oh, sorry. I either didn't read the rest of your post or forgot about it.

I'll try to do that with the rest of the scaffolding I build.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:09 am »

Heh. Well, it's unusual at least. Usually, authors are super thristy for feedback.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 13, 2017, 10:17:31 am »

No, really, I am. I just responded to the first part of your post, and neglected to read the rest.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 13, 2017, 02:30:23 pm »

Someone asked about allegiences?

If you find a dwarf with high Introspection, please dwarf me as "Hydrangea".  Preferrably a female who will not marry.

Excuse me while I quietly throw my lot in with Queen Derpy.

Also, if high introspection is no good, put me up as a glassmaker.  I shall demonstrate the glory of beautiful glass.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 13, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »

Also, if high introspection is no good, put me up as a glassmaker.  I shall demonstrate the glory of beautiful glass.

Sorry I was never able to deal with that BTW.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. I decided to mine into Ludosm's old room to loot the bodies.

I mean, we can't just let it go to waste, right?

Cool. What are you going to do with the bodies? Just gonna atom smash them?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »

Nah, they're going up to the ever-growing corpse pile upstairs.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »

Sorry I was never able to deal with that BTW.

Worry not, my liege, I understand and sympathise.  (I really do.)

* Moonstone_Flower gives a sweeping bow to Queen Derpy.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »

Nah, they're going up to the ever-growing corpse pile upstairs.

Neat.

Worry not, my liege, I understand and sympathise.  (I really do.)

* Moonstone_Flower gives a sweeping bow to Queen Derpy.

Double neat *bows neatly*

So where exactly are you in the year, may I ask?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 19, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »

Sorry. Some life shit happened and I wasn't able to make an update in some time.

Anyway, I'm four months into construction.

First off, I was a little wary of the digging down stairs method because I wasn't sure if walls could be placed on dug out down stairs. So I decided to test it out by digging a down stair in a hallway. Turns out, I can designate walls, but I can't designate doors. (It was next to a wall, so it wasn't that. It just says "Blocked.")

So, I just decided to continue with the constructed wall method. Here are the pics of the two wall layers:

Spoiler: Wall snapshots (click to show/hide)

Another important thing is the brand-new mechanics sweatshop, designed to churn out thousands of mechanisms per month. (It's currently operating at less-than-full capacity since not all the workshops have been built.) It is a great new state-of-the-art design, and is definitely not OSHA-approved.

Spoiler: Mechanics sweatshop (click to show/hide)

As it turns out, I was able to designate the entire lever room before I even built the sweatshop. There still needs to be a lot of mechanisms made for the connections and for the floodgates, though, so it's good that I built it.

Here's the lever room, as it currently stands.
Spoiler: Lever room (click to show/hide)

Towards the end of the month I realized that I need to start making a *vast* quantity of various glass items like corkscrews, blocks, tubes, doors, and floodgates. I had already put in the work orders, but I had nowhere near the required collecting or melting capacity. Thus I decided to create yet another sweatshop.

Spoiler: Glassmaking sweatshop (click to show/hide)

Gotta keep them dirty peasants occupied, eh?

EDIT: So a bit of an update on side things.

I actually did not get cave-in spam during the tree fire. Turns out the fire just burned some leaves and branches (as well as all the saplings) and left everything else intact. Some saplings have begun to regrow and some one z-level tall trees have sprouted. It's back in business!

Also, the whole pikachu situation. Yeah, it's not working. Her stress level is at -99999 according to the labor manager included in DFHack, even though she's getting *only bad thoughts* with the exception of a "legendary meal" and an "euphoric due to inebriation." (Doesn't make sense, the last one. She only has the well -- perhaps it was from before I built it?) She continues to comment philosophically on her situation while not being affected emotionally by it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:51:54 pm by bloop_bleep »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 19, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »

Silly bloop_bleep*. You need to build a floor on top of the downstair, then build the door, then remove the floor. You can't go straight on top of downstair!

Though, doors on top of downstairs are not that useful for dwarves, behaving kinda like hatches that also block horizontal travel over them when locked.

And, aw, you're in that mess of building walls 1 at time. Un-fun-fun...Perhaps could create a script that suspended walls that would block things further from being constructed.

Your mechanic sweatshop is an unexpected solution, though I'd suggest making it more vertical and have more than 1-wide entrance for 72 dwarves is probably going to hurt fps. Didn't think you'd get 700 mechanisms in your remaining time with 1 shop, but somehow it didn't occur to me that one can have more than 1.

RE:pikachu

Mmm. Tried chaining them up?

* Said in jest, not actually meaning it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:22:17 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27