Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 51774 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
DWARF FORTRESS PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r09

In the realm of Snospdamon, in The Past Planes, upon The Swift Land, within the Desert of Champions, 7 dwarves travel from The Fiery Volcano, their dying civilization, in order to forge a new one; Iggalfamthut, “Traphorses”! 

Mighty heroes were they those seven.  Strong and brave, brash and headstrong.  Seven they were by number and their number of counting was seven.  They were:

Zaz Quell (Appraiser 1)
Mas (Mason 5)
Farm (Planter 5, Brewing 5)
Dig1 (Miner 5)
Dig2 (Miner 5)
Dig3 (Miner 5)
Dig4 (Miner 5)

These mighty heroes brought with them mighty supplies.  Yes, mighty indeed.  The heroic and fantastic supplies were:

04 picks
20 mushrooms
10 mushroom wine
05 mushroom seeds
Oh, and
324 logs.

You have arrived.  After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended.  Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Zirilstodir.  There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance.  Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves.  You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is Sporing now.  Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the leopards get hungry.  A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Iggalfamthut, “Traphorses”.

It is Spring 501.  There are no plants, no water, no flux, no forges, no goblinite, and 3 towers.  Strike the Earth!

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12993

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:30:02 am »

The rules are simple, no making metal objects within the walls of Traphorses. Getting metal weapons and such from merchants is allowed though.

Here's Flamehorses if you want to read the previous story.

Gotta make a turn order:

1. VolcanoQueen
2. Derpy Dev
3. hun
4. puppyguard
5. MrLurkety
6. Alpha Loves You
7. bloop_bleep
8. pikachu17
9. Moonstone_Flower

No more people can join. 'kay?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:20:19 pm by Derpy Dev »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:17:10 pm »

Ptw, so I remember my turn.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:34 pm »

So wait; is the rule 'no forges', 'no crafting metal', or 'no using metal' (goblinite)?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »

Yes, I would also want to clarify this moment.

We don't have goblins around, so goblinite is irrelevant; but are we allowed to use things bought from caravans?
I propose to forbid any workshop operations, related to metals (mainly forge and smelter), but we still can use anything made of metall (bought weapon, constructions of metal bars, etc).

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:01 pm »

Yes, I would also want to clarify this moment.

We don't have goblins around, so goblinite is irrelevant; but are we allowed to use things bought from caravans?
I propose to forbid any workshop operations, related to metals (mainly forge and smelter), but we still can use anything made of metall (bought weapon, constructions of metal bars, etc).

Works for me.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »

Smelting metal bars allows them to be used for moods, and that's important.  Metal bars are otherwise not very useful without a forge.  The rule should simply be "no forges".

the turn shall begin.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »

Smelting metal bars allows them to be used for moods, and that's important.  Metal bars are otherwise not very useful without a forge.  The rule should simply be "no forges".

the turn shall begin.

Have fun with the first turn Zazq.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:09 pm »

Spring 501

The digging has begun.  I’ve made a spiraling hallway down 4z levels which we shall soon fill with traps.  At the bottom of this spiral shall be the trade depot.  Below is the first stone layer and i’ve designated rampwells to access lower levels.  Rampwells reduce lag!

We ought to use 2 square wide hallways because they both allow for dodging yet dwarves are always adjacent to a wall thus limiting their pathing choices.  2 square wide hallways reduce lag!

It is now summer.

One of our diggers is now queen.  She has inherited the title “Queen Derpydev”  As seems fitting for her position, she has become our legendary-in-the-making mechanic.

So totally almost ran out of booze and lost.  It was pretty frantic for a while there.  But now the still is up and operating and everything will be ok.  Dormitory set up layer -07, tavern set up layer -06.

It is now autumn.  2 seasons until zombie apocalypse. 

The dwarven caravan has arrived and ima ignore it.  Too much to do.  3 anti-zombie atom smashers have been set up in layer -01 with room between them for traps.  They are controlled by a lever on -05 labled “Lemme Smash”.  There’s also an alert also called “Lemme Smash” which should prevent dwarves from getting squished without interfering with fortress-internal activities.

A quantum stone/wood/gems stockpile has been created on -09.  Mason, Craft and Mechanic workshops are nearby.

It is now winter. 

AK THEY ARE EARLY!  A pile of gray langur zombies are making the mad dash into the atom smashers!  The alert has been sounded and the lever is set on repeat!  HERE WE GO!

Smush. No more zombies.  However i did watch a visiting human swordsman duck and weave his way through the active smashers.  They are clearly insufficient.  Atom smashers don’t leave any mess behind!  THEY REDUCE LAG!

It is now spring 502.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12995

To weather the zombie invasion that's going to happen first thing in spring:
1) set civilians to alert "Lemme Smash". 
2) wait until they are below layer -01.
3) set the lever labled "Lemme Smash" on layer -05 to repeat pull.
4) get lucky.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 11:01:47 pm »

Wait, is your turn done already? I was really hoping that you would be done tomorrow, cause I'm gonna be pretty busy then. Darn.

Oh well. Expect my turn to be done by Saturday or Sunday but no further.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 10:42:54 pm »

ptw
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 04:38:20 pm »

So first things first, I am the queen. That's fine, not like you swapped my gender or anything. The awkward part comes in because I have a boyfriend who is apparently not important enough to earn any name beyond, "Dig3". This will change today. No longer will you be named Dig3, today you shall be named The Handsome One.

Now, some might call me insane. Some might call me overly ambitious. But I will state my plan now, I want a throne room carved out of the magma sea. It will be made entirely of obsidian and border an admantine vein. So I will, for this turn, try to find the the magma sea and dig to the bottom of the world, as well as securing the entrance a little better.

Now, the biggest problem with this plan is getting around caves. If we had infinite wood, the problem would be simple, make cage traps and a bridge wall to protect from FBs. But wood is limited. But there are also mushroom trees in caves, so we might regain the cost in wood. So I will make a few cages and hope for the best.

I am also building a bridge at the front that can be raised an make a wall just in case a zombie slips through or we encounter something we can't smash.

Oh well. This was just a bit of brainstorming before I actually take action, gonna do part of this before I go to bed.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:31 pm »

PTW, can't wait to see how this fort goes.

And can I be put in the turn list too?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »

PTW, can't wait to see how this fort goes.

And can I be put in the turn list too?

Sure. Welcome to the madness!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27