Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 19295 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:35 pm »

Since the dawn of your race, you have been content to remain at the oven of origin, perfecting your craft and pondering the wisdom in the embers while the outside world moved. From a distance, you have observed as your fellow diggers expanded from their homeland, met and interacted with other races, survived a resource crisis, and split into the dwarves and drugar in what would become the most terrible and long lasting war the world has known. None of this bothered you much... until the day you saw prophecy in the embers of the oven.

You did not understand much of the terrible images and sounds the oven showed you, but what you could make out was terrifying. The drow, and the demons they worship, will someday do something terrible and make the world inhospital for most life. The sky will turn to ash, and the cavern ceilings will become sulfur. The only thing capable of stopping this evil is a united digger race.

That day you swore to leave your isolation, and force the unity of the diggers by either leading the dwarves and drugar to peace, or ensuring that one race finally gains the upper hand and subjugates the other. First, however, you would need a tool to accomplish your ambitious agenda...

---

As your hammer strikes the anvil for the final time, you are knocked from your feet by a mighty and blinding wave of magic. Time passes; You are sure that you have been unconscious for some time when you next open your eyes. Your workshop, neigh, the entire Oven of Origin, is decimated and you are laying near the center of a large and smoldering crater. At your feet sits the fruit of your labor, a seemingly harmless looking hunk of scrap metal the approximate size and shape of a digger's ear; The World-Weld.

Wrapping your hands around what you are sure is the most powerful artifact ever known to mortalkind, you rise to your feet and begin to climb from the crater. You will stop at the nearby village to purchase some new clothes, and perhaps a chain or some twine so that you might wear the World-Weld as a pendant, before beggining your work in earnest to prepare the world for whatever Drowkind has in store.

---

When the World-Weld drew close to completion, you sent messengers to the various dwarfish and drugar monarchs that you intended to leave your isolation and join society. As you would be the last remaining original digger to do so, this caused quite a stir, and you promptly received many offers of land and marriage.

First and foremost you had to consider spouses. You received ten decent offers, each from a monarch in control of at least a small city-state. Five potential mates are from the dwarves, and five from the drugar. As one of the first diggers, tradition dictates that you are entitled to wed thrice, but it may be prudent to take only two spouses so as to balance your interests between the two fueding races, and to leave you free to take a third down the line should one or both of your first choices die.

As a first digger, you would not necessarily be expected to live with your spouses. Marrying would, however, grant you instant allies, the opportunity to create legitimate offspring, and warm beds to sleep in on your travels.

Potential Spouses: (Choose up to 3)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once you decided who to marry, next you had to choose where to live. Many leaders offered you land, in hopes that you would either take a burden off their hands, or that they would have the honor of providing a kingdom to the last of the first diggers. After tossing aside many offers to rule useless swamp or desert settlements, you narrow the list down to five settlements that you feel have potential to be the foundation of a mighty empire.

You could, of course, also choose to forsake ruling directly, and join the court of a spouse as a consort. In exchange for giving up complete power, you would gain a degree of influence over an actually extablished kingdom, as well as a more consistent stream of offspring.

Land Offers: (Choose 1)

---

With your body properly clothed and the World Weld wrapped around your neck on a silver chain, you depart the village and begin to travel towards your new life. On your way out of town, however, you stop to record your great deed on a nearby rock, as the very nature of the World Weld ensures you a degree of immortality so long as your history is recorded in the language of the diggers:

On the 21st day of the 12th month of the 7843rd year of the diggers, I succeeding in linking the ancient language of the diggers to the very laws of reality itself by using my own soul as a welding medium. The portion of this weld that exists on the physical plane takes the form of a pendant that I shall wear on my person and call the World Weld, and it will grant me the strength to unite diggerkind and save the world from drowish evil. Long may I live and rule with might and wisdom!

Happy with your graffiti, you sign it.

What is your name and gender?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:03:27 pm by Weirdsound »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:44 pm »

XC, D, H

Name: Arofhzfrlakgjhaffrkevajkhb cjkvhbealvbeltvrlsthu (It's, uh, Gnomish. Yeah.)
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:39 pm »

E, J, K.

Name: Aurum Argentum
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

dotEcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:49 pm »

I say down with the drugar!
A, C, E. K.

Name: Arofhzfrlakgjhaffrkevajkhb cjkvhbealvbeltvrlsthu
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:15:55 pm by dotEcho »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:16:35 pm »

BHJ

L

Aurora Wordfire

Female

We will give birth to the new kings to rule beside us over all the world.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:55:34 am »

B, E, I

X;E

Conduio Durasteel

Male

A build based around superiority to the dragons.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:11:48 am »

B & I
N
Orrian Adamantsouled
Male
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:28:49 am »

A

O
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 04:28:48 am »

B, The Imperialist
I, The Savage
H, The Sorceror

M, The Fungal Jungle

Crag, Male

Not only diggers, but ALL races shall kneel before us and stand before the drow and their demon masters. Indeed, our marriage to the Sorcerer is more for her non-digger lineage than her magical talents.

As we were one of the first, our name is simply Crag. Others may know us by other epithets or titles, but our true name is as simple as our origins.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:35:36 am »

Also I dunno about you guys but I cannot parse just the letters worth a damn, which makes it kind of hard to figure out if I want to vote for something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:32:20 am »

BHJ

L

Aurora Wordfire

Female

+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 09:55:37 am »

BHJ

L

Aurora Wordfire

Female

Damn. You guys had lots of ideas... to the point where only one of you actually +1'd somebody else's suggestion. Guess that one wins. Intro coming.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »

Let us bind our union with diamond
and from rock carve a home.
Let us sculp offspring as clay,
until dust we both become.

-Traditional Digger Wedding Vow

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

Silent Hammers, your new domain, is a good sized city, but one that is sorely underdeveloped. This is highlighted by the fact that your wedding and coronation has to take place at the palace of Count Chance in the nearby human city of Goldears, as your own town lacks a suitable venue. Still, your people are nothing if not thrilled at the prospect of being led by a first digger, and many have made the trip; As you approach the count's palace the streets are lined with more of your own subjects than with his.

The ceremony itself is short, sweet, and too the point. You exchange vows with your husbands, swear to serve your people, and receive a simple golden crown for your trouble. Then comes the reception, which proves to be a far more interesting affair as you are introduced to the court set up for you by your husbands and subjects.

The famed engineer and Scholar-King Emscythe is petite and scrawny for a Drugar, and despite controlling a much larger civilization than you seems overwhelmed by your presence. He admits that you are the only first digger he has ever met, and that he is absolutely honored that you have chosen him as a husband. You can tell he is head-over-heels in love with you, to the point that he admits he is heartbroken that he will eventually have to return home to attend to the affairs of his own subjects.

All-Lord Ukareem, on the other hand, is cordial and only slightly affectionate, as one might expect a dwarf to be towards his partner in a political union. As the son of a first digger himself, your status dosn't particularly impress him, and although he is respectful, you can tell he doesn't expect someone who has spent her entire life isolated at her furnace to possess much in the way of useful leadership skills.

The sorcerer Bloodlord Haigen, who's children you are most excited to bear, could sadly not make his own wedding; Bedlamb, the kindgom he rules, is currently fending off an invasion from a hostile Drugar army, and raids from the dwarven kingdom above his, so the usurper king felt that he couldn't leave his people. To deliver his vows in his place, Haigen sent Trumil, a terrible slime covered fungus person who he explains by letter of introduction is part of the hag coven that raised him.

Trumil explains that she is to remain at your side as a court mage, and sets about introducing you to the other notable individual that her son has sent to serve you; Hxnub, a Hobgoblin soldier who leads the army of goblin slave soldiers that Haigen has provided to pay your bride price. Like most Hobgoblins, Hxnub comes across as both cruel and loyal, and you are sure he can be trusted and even mistreated so long as he has underlings of his own to abuse.

Joining Hxnub on your war council is the seemingly human Brother Anders, a member of the Order of Sterility. Anders explains that his order serves to protect All-Lord Ukareem and his family with their great power. Apparently he and the ten monks under him are all weremules who have gained complete control of their curse through meditation, castration, and worship of the dwarven gods, and although few in number can fight like a small army so long as their opponent dosn't think to use tableware against them - apparently weremules have a fatal weakness to nickle silver.

Scholar-King Emscythe's bastard half sister, Captain Balrogsim, is the third member of your war council and commander of the siege machines that the Greatwalls Alliance sent you. Balrogsim has a personal vested interested in protecting you; Like most highborn Drugar, Emscythe is a major proponent of inbreeding, and hopes that one day his favorite sister might wed one of the nephews you give her. Both Emscythe and Balrogsim feel that marrying into the blood of a first digger would be the only way for her to redeem their bloodline of her lowborn mother.

The fourth member of your war council, and predecessor as ruler of Silent Hammers, is the Dwarf Lord Urist the Left Handed, a military hero who turned his back on the digger blood conflict after marrying a Drugar Princess and loosing his right hand to a duel with his new brother-in-law. Urist is a respected hero, and responsible for founding Silent Hammers, but willingly gave the city to you as he felt he lacked the skill required to lead a people in peacetime.

The final member of your war council is the Elf Princess Myguwen of the Charcoal Tribe, one of a handful of elfish peoples loyal to the All-Lord's empire. The Princess is said to be a peerless archer, and leads a good sized host of elf rangers. Like most elves, Myguwen believes that trees are the highest form of mortal life, but as a fanatical worshiper of the dwarven gods, she believes that there is no higher purpose for a tree (or any living thing really) than to be sacrificed to a furnace. As you are the direct and personal creation of the dwarven gods, and the wife of her beloved empire, Myguwen promises to treat you as a personal object of worship, and expresses an all-too-earnest desire to die in your service.

Like most elf royals, Myguwen is accompanied by a small train of husbands, wives, children, and servants, and the fanatical princess takes express pleasure in introducing you to each of them, especially her youngest wife: A lowborn elf named Liula. Although barely more than a wide-eyed child, Liula is already a prodigy in the fields of anatomy and surgery, and knows a bit of the secret fey art of healing magic to boot. Because of this, she has been selected to serve as the physician and midwife to you and your court.

Your absent husband Haigen provides your new kingdom with a high priest in the form of Prince Dulfrog, the son of Bedlamb's previous king, whom the sorceror took in and raised as his own after slaughtering the rest of the then infant-boy's family. Dulfrog is well versed in the lores of the Dwarven Gods, Old Ones, as well as a handful of other foul beings that Drugar tend to worship. During the reception, you catch him several times staring at the World-Weld; Perhaps is training in the divine allows him to understand something of the artifact's cosmic significance. He could, of course, also just be staring at your breasts, which are in the same general area.

The final member of your court is an elderly hill giant named Bort, sent by the All-Lord to be your personal steward and treasurer. The old giant appears to be blind in one eye, and has a gimpy leg, but he speaks with both wisdom and experience on many topics. According to him, one of his previous professions was metalwork, and he is trained to help digger master-smiths work on projects that are too physically big for them to easily complete on their own.

In addition to the court members present, Scholar-King Emscythe promises to send for one of his students to serve you as royal engineer when the time comes for him to leave your side.

---

You split your wedding night between entertaining your two present husbands, and use to carriage ride into Silent Hammers the following day to catch up on your sleep. You arrive in your kingdom to find it as modest as you have been told it would be, but far more lively. Lacking anything resembling a palace, your quarters and meeting room for your court is little more than a large apartment over The Gorgon's Anvil, A tiny blacksmith shop owned by an elderly lowborn Drugar too frail to actually work, and that you have been given permission to use in exchange for paying the owner's rent.

It is in this rather unfitting throneroom that your court holds its first meeting. The following points come up:

Court Meeting:

As the meeting wraps up, you tap the World Weld to activate its ability to let you see the great feats of others that would be worthy of inscribing on an artifact. Giving somebody an artifact with their own feat or yours inscribed upon it will allow you a degree of surveillance and influence over that person, but making such a toy would take at least several months of your undivided attention, so perhaps distributing artifacts to your followers should wait until you have extablished a degree of control over Silent Hammers.

Looking Around, you detect a number of usable feats on your own person, your court, and beyond.

Nearby Feats:

The Reign of Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire begins now! What are your first actions and decrees?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 03:44:05 pm »

We need to work on infrastructure. This is the most important thing that needs to happen.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18