Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord  (Read 19338 times)

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Rise of the Smith Lord
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:17 am »

Whoops, we have goblin civilians after all. Poor neglected goblin civilians. Who I assume only want to kill.

Meet with her in private with only our bodyguards. 

While we might make her an ally, I would prefer it is kept out of sight as much as possible.
I'd rather bring Ukareem. His insight was invaluable in our meeting with Branding Iron, and he's our husband so we shouldn't have to worry about him knowing about anything.

We should bring both, like last time. I would like to bring more guards than last time, as while I would like to make an ally of her (I like allies), we should perhaps pressure her into telling us who in our court is her spy. At the very least we will find out how good of a liar she is.

On another hand, perhaps we should begin only telling our husbands and those involved what we are doing. All others could be fed a false story from now on, with orders to those who know of our true location and plans devulging it only if necessary, and only to those needed.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2017, 09:33:10 am »

I think feeding everyone in our court a false story of what we are doing is going to do very little except make it obvious to everyone that we're lying to them after the first couple of times. It may not even prevent us from being spied on as she could easily be using magic or have some other way of eavesdropping on our plans. Counter intelligence efforts are necessary but will probably have to wait until we've had a conversation with this woman.

On the subject of food, whilst we do have enough food production to get our entire population to work with us (so long as we do not need to pay any military to do anything) so perhaps a quarry is the higher priority. It has made me think though, do we have any options for expanding our population (other than dark fortresses) and are there any other ways we can improve infrastructure in silent hammers itself?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2017, 12:51:59 pm »

Meet with her in private with only our bodyguards. 

While we might make her an ally, I would prefer it is kept out of sight as much as possible.
+1.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »

On the subject of food, whilst we do have enough food production to get our entire population to work with us (so long as we do not need to pay any military to do anything) so perhaps a quarry is the higher priority. It has made me think though, do we have any options for expanding our population (other than dark fortresses) and are there any other ways we can improve infrastructure in silent hammers itself?

Agreed, quarry is probably very important...infrastructure is needed, and that is gained from getting industry. We've begin doing this with the gemcrafter, and the quarry will be an even bigger step in the right direction. I fully expect the populace to grow faster as we get infrastructure though, right now it's kinda shit, but once we get industry running, I'd assume commerce to come, and once that's established the populace will begin to grow as more wish to move in. The main issue we have is likely that we are a digger city. As opposed to dwarven or druegar city. And since those races for the most part seem to hate each other, I'm actually happy people aren't coming in quite yet, cause when people start coming we are going to need to be able to deal with the racial tension quickly

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »

"Why, you ask, did I put that Drugar village to the sword,
Man, woman, and child? Sure, it seemed small and harmless
at the time, but the thing with diggers is that they never
stop digging. Never stop building. And they hate our kind
in a way that words could never describe. It is always best,
then, to purge digger settlements while they are still small
and harmless."

Collected Wisdom of the Beetle Queen Threadmare

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You recall that Scholar-King Emscythe promised to send you an engineer to help develop your kingdom when he left your side, and decide to send for that Drugar.

Lord Akuspade is a younger drugar, well dressed in in the robes of a scholar. He is accompanied by a train of servants pushing several small handcarts full of books, schematics, and other documents. Introducing himself, Lord Akuspade explains that he is a student of the Scholar-King, and that his work on your behalf will serve as the final evaluation of his studies; If your husband is impressed by what Akuspade does for your kingdom, his title will be upgraded to Scholar-Lord, and he will likely stand to inherit a good amount of the land that The Greatwalls Alliance captures from the Beetle Queendoms in the upcoming war.

Pulling out a map of Silent Hammers, Akuspade gets to work explaining the situation to you.

"You see, Smith Lord, When Urist the Lefthanded purchased land from Count Chance's father, and founded this city, he spared no thought for its future growth. Those who migrated here settled haphazardly, leaving no room for growth on the surface. You will have to demolish homes and busniess if you want to expand within the city walls. The hillside just outside your walls, although technically part of Bardhill County, is effectively controlled by the Halfling Crime Lords, and there is some room to build there if you wish to fight or negotiate with the criminals for the right to do so."

The engineer pauses. "I have also found two other possible options for future expansion, which I have included in this report, but reguardless of what your long term plans are, I suggest first building a Greatwalls Block Plant, which will allow you to output the heavy duty construction resources required to build from King Emscythe's personal designs."

City Status and Expansion Report:

Bah. Went a bit overboard with the expansion planning stuff, and didn't have time to get to the halfling meeting before I have to leave for work. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions regarding this update, and expect halfling stuff tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:02:32 pm by Weirdsound »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »

May I suggest purchasing the valley? It doesn't step on any halfling...'s toes, and it gives us more room to expand without tearing down houses.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »

Hm. We'll probably be busy with a quarry, farm, and possibly defenses for those in the next few months. Once we get a breather, we'll definitely want to survey the underground to see what's available. I'd like to get a Greatwalls Block Plant at some point, but it's a fairly heavy investment while we've got potential space elsewhere.

Long term we'll definitely want a metal foundry, but it's also a heavy investment and will no doubt agitate (at least one of) the Dons. We should make sure we're relatively comfortable before putting the squeeze on them, but I'll be damned if a fat hairless rodent is going to tell a Digger Queen she can't have a metalworks.

May I suggest purchasing the valley? It doesn't step on any halfling...'s toes, and it gives us more room to expand without tearing down houses.
Eventually, definitely. We'll still want to survey it first, but more space, farmland, and quarries all sound fantastic.

There are two problems with doing it now, however. One, we don't have a ton of wealth. If ~10 Wealth would really buy us the valley I'd say take it, but given that's two and a half months' salary for a Don, I'm pretty skeptical. Two, the humans don't value it because it's impossible to defend. They've clearly never heard of DIGGER FORTIFICATIONS EVERYWHERE, but we're low on materials to build those, so we wouldn't be able to defend it either.

I'd be fine meeting with Count Chance to idly discuss the matter once we've surveyed it (maybe pointing out that it'd help get our legendary digger industry- and therefore armaments- online), but barring some very generous loan conditions I don't think we'll be able to afford it anytime soon.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »

Again, while Count chase does not appear to have any deeds himself, promising him an artefact might be a cheap way to get the valley. That would require us to be an informed barrier and for us to build an artefact based on our deeds which would be beneficial to both him and us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2017, 06:48:00 pm »

So, send some skilled HUMANS to go survey the surface world in the valley, I'd say. We need to appear at least halfway decent to the humans, and they're experts at scumming it on the surface. We definitely need to survey the ground beneath our city ASAP, because more accessible territory is a good thing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Dopl

• Bay Watcher
  • ded
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:26 pm »

I think we should have a survey done to find what our human citizens would like, since urist kicked a large portion of them out, it's probably a good idea to do something for them, to show we care for all of our citizens, and not just the digger population

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2017, 09:08:48 pm »

The Face of Fate - Makes the wearer a mighty fighter and assassin. Wielded by Mril-Minda, who has just struck down Sir Shroomplum, the famed drowish assassin, and is now waging a one woman campaign of terror and death against his family, underlings, and students.
Just noticed we got a quiet update on Mril-Minda's progress. Um. Good job, I guess?

Again, while Count chase does not appear to have any deeds himself, promising him an artefact might be a cheap way to get the valley. That would require us to be an informed barrier and for us to build an artefact based on our deeds which would be beneficial to both him and us.
A definite possibility, but note that artifacts aren't 'cheap' as in 'of low value', just in non-opportunity costs. We've got a lot of people/things we'd like to make artifacts for.

As a minor note, I doubt he'd be interested in any of our personal feats. He no doubt has champions and other assorted jackasses at court we could crib from, though. Might even prefer to superpower his underlings.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »

Try to influence Mril-Minda to get more info on the drow while murdering through the guys family.  Info on new targets politics and such so she can strike targets that will be even more devastating.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2017, 03:07:27 am »

Other idle note: In addition to our artifact-craft, we are flatly an awesome, literally god-tier mundane smith. We should try regular forging sometime.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 12:34:30 pm »

"There is no guest quite like an uninvited guest."

-Hobbit Folk Wisdom

Smith Lord Aurora Wordfire, Refuge Queen of Silent Hammers, Empress Consort of the Southernfrost, and Queen Consort of Bedlamb and the Marble City

Refuge City of Silent Hammers

You focus on your connection to The Face of Fate and its bearer, and attempt to influence Mril-Minda into exploring the Drowish political scene. You at once feel her intentions shift under your weight - she now plans to seek out her estranged mother, Beetle Queen Trolldrinker, leader of the Wooly Beetle Queendom, for a sit down chat. She understands the reunion is risky, but has high hopes that if she shows up with a mighty artifact and the head of Sir Shroomplum she will earn her mother's respect.

---

You send away everybody except your bodyguards, and beckon Donna Sherry into your quarters.

In start contrast to the sharply dressed Branding Iron, the leader of the drug runners cuts a fierce vissage. She wears the clothes of a simple traveler, and carries several daggers on her hilt. She appears ancient for a halfling, and her face is heavily scarred, but she still moves under her own power with grace and purpose. Like Samwise Huck, she carries a golden cane, which you assume must be some sort of badge of office for a hobbit don.

At her side is a male halfling, small even by the standards of his race, who dresses in a suit like Branding Iron and his crew. He introduces himself as Cheddar Finwick, Donna Sherry's translator. As soon as he is done with the introduction his mistress launches into a tirade.

Donna Sherry speaks very quickly in Old Country Hobbit, a language related to common human that you only partially understand. She talks so fast, that her translator can't even keep up. Perhaps that is for the best.

The halfling's rant is little more than a long list of petty grievances and complaints. From what you can pick up, she chides you for living in a simple apartment less impressive than even a hobbit hole, for vanishing for 11 months after presenting yourself as a leader she could get along with and getting her hopes up, for allowing your court to be so easily infiltrated, for not milking nearly enough out of your much more wealthy and powerful spouses, and for not moving aggressively enough against the anti industry dons. As a first digger sculped by the gods themselves, you have no ancestors, but you get the distinct feeling that this is what a nagging grandmother might be like.

Donna Sherry lingers on her last point for a bit, slowing down to make sure you understand. Apparently the other dons think you weak, and assume that intimidating your husband Emscythe was enough to break your will towards development. She warns you that considering their presumed success in making you back off, you should assume that any future attempts at development will be met by the hostile dons with actions against those close to you, and that those actions might not be limited to mere stalking in the future.

Eventually Donna Sherry calms down and stops talking long enough for her attendant Cheddar to get her back on topic: Your planned meeting with the savages. She nods curtly, and abruptly knocks her underling out with a single swing from her heavy gold cane before addressing you in broken diggerspeak.

"I sorry. Unuseless Cheddar should have knowed better than to tell Donna what to do. I'm here to help you. Gods know you need. I know some Troll-Waste savages. Sell me drug making stuffs. I arrange trip for you, no? Make sure you meet the nice savages and not meet savages who like kill Digger Queens. Is good, yes?"

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2017, 12:51:38 pm »

State that it is a good deal for us, and ask what SHE gets out of us going to meet the savages.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18